jana water

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 4th, '10, 14:17

jana water

by teaisme » Nov 4th, '10, 14:17

got 3 liters of this stuff to play around with the other day
This stuff has ALOT of minerals wow. Way more then other bottled spring waters (this stuff is from an artesian well in croatia)

It is the smoothest, fullest bodied water I have tried in a very long time.

Brewed flt tgy and 4 seasons and was really surprised at the good results. I was always under the assumption that really hard water was just not good for tea.
Infusions had more body, and it seems like the water turned down the astringency as well. It also seemed like the water pulled more out of the tea faster then I am used to. This possibly due to slightly higher pH?

I think this water would be really good for oolongs, and I will try brewing a japanese green right now and see how it goes

Now the major con: Super mineralization means after just one 1.5l bottle the inside of my kamjove has a layer of minerals developing and if I run my finger on the inside I pick up white scale :shock: wow that was fast considering the water I have used for past 6-7 months has never given me scale

Dedicating a kettle to this water might be under consideration, one that is easier to clean then a basic kamjove

Nov 4th, '10, 15:27

Re: jana water

by olivierco » Nov 4th, '10, 15:27

churng wrote: This stuff has ALOT of minerals wow. Way more then other bottled spring waters
Many mineral waters have far more minerals than Jana (464mg/l just a little more minerals than Evian 309mg/l)

For instance:
Vittel 844mg/l
Contrex 2073mg/l
Hépar 2513mg/l

Nov 4th, '10, 16:21

by teaisme » Nov 4th, '10, 16:21

I was talking more about bottled water that is floating around readily in the american market, not the french one. I wish I could try those waters you are talking about. Instead I am stuck with aquafina, dasani, and that umbrella of nestle brands (ice mountain, poland springs, deer park etc). I can get evian too but found it not so good for tea. Trader joes is far far away so im lucky when I can get some volic.

When you compare it to volic and poland springs, which I consider good water for tea, the hardness is way higher for jana.

Nov 4th, '10, 16:26

by teaisme » Nov 4th, '10, 16:26

olivierco wrote:
For instance:
Vittel 844mg/l
Contrex 2073mg/l
Hépar 2513mg/l
So have you tried any of these hard waters on tea? How did it turn out?

Nov 6th, '10, 12:52

by Marco » Nov 6th, '10, 12:52

I have tried Volvic once because it has been recommended on a vendors page. Took a little sip of the water first - gosh - that was the most boring water I have ever tried. -- Oh yea - very little minerals so it tastes like a little bit of "nothing".
Used it for my Japanese Greens and it seemd to do no difference compared to my tap water. Although the tap water here is very hard water, but good in quality.
I have to descale a lot.

@olivierco: Which minerals are you compareing? Mg, Na, Ca, K, HCO3,...?

Nov 6th, '10, 15:10

by wyardley » Nov 6th, '10, 15:10

Marco wrote:I have tried Volvic once because it has been recommended on a vendors page. Took a little sip of the water first - gosh - that was the most boring water I have ever tried. -- Oh yea - very little minerals so it tastes like a little bit of "nothing".
Volvic is one of my favorite waters for tea, though I don't use it often since it's expensive and imported from France. It is ideal exactly because it has mineral content, but not too much.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I quite like the taste of Volvic on its own also.

Nov 7th, '10, 08:30

by olivierco » Nov 7th, '10, 08:30

churng wrote: So have you tried any of these hard waters on tea? How did it turn out?
When you drink a specific water everyday, its taste becomes less and less noticeable as well as the change of taste for your tea. I usually choose for my tea a water with a very low content of minerals (20mg/l) but when having guest I choose a water which taste is considered as neutral here.

Nov 7th, '10, 08:31

by olivierco » Nov 7th, '10, 08:31

Marco wrote: Which minerals are you compareing? Mg, Na, Ca, K, HCO3,...?
The total amount of minerals.

Nov 7th, '10, 08:52

by Marco » Nov 7th, '10, 08:52

olivierco wrote: When you drink a specific water everyday, its taste becomes less and less noticeable as well as the change of taste for your tea. I usually choose for my tea a water with a very low content of minerals (20mg/l) but when having guest I choose a water which taste is considered as neutral here.
I come from a mountain region with great mountain spring water. Here in the city the water isn't that good but it is okay.
An overall mineral content of 20mg/l is only possible with deionised water. This makes water tasteless (okay some may have different opinions).
But it makes the water unhealthy too. Drinking a lot of it will make your body loose minerals.

Nov 7th, '10, 09:51

by olivierco » Nov 7th, '10, 09:51

Marco wrote:
An overall mineral content of 20mg/l is only possible with deionised water.

But it makes the water unhealthy too. Drinking a lot of it will make your body loose minerals.
I don't think so. This water is labeled as "Eau minérale naturelle" (25mg/l of total minerals content in fact: I have just checked).

The fact that this water would be unhealthy is quite questionable. The minerals mainly come from food. The intakes through water are negligible and two liters of water per day won't drain the minerals from your body.

Nov 7th, '10, 15:58

by Marco » Nov 7th, '10, 15:58

olivierco wrote:
Marco wrote:
An overall mineral content of 20mg/l is only possible with deionised water.

I don't think so. This water is labeled as "Eau minérale naturelle" (25mg/l of total minerals content in fact: I have just checked).

The fact that this water would be unhealthy is quite questionable. The minerals mainly come from food. The intakes through water are negligible and two liters of water per day won't drain the minerals from your body.
With my knowledge of geology, I can not think of a natural area where water only can dissolve so few minerals. Sorry that I remain skeptical, but it contradicts with what I have learned.

Yes, minerals come from food - depending on what you eat.
Many people have mineral deficiencies. Mineral water can help here.
And drinking a lot leads to a mineral loss in the body because the kidneys can not reabsorb them all.

But everyone should use the water he likes. :)

Nov 8th, '10, 14:57

by mr. Less » Nov 8th, '10, 14:57

i also like using volovic water for my oolongs , especially with dancong and wuyi

with my lighter oolongs and taiwan oolongs i use montille(or montcalm as it was called before), i find it to be very good , and rather cheap
i pay 1,75 euro for 5 liters

Nov 9th, '10, 14:35

by olivierco » Nov 9th, '10, 14:35

Marco wrote:
With my knowledge of geology, I can not think of a natural area where water only can dissolve so few minerals. Sorry that I remain skeptical, but it contradicts with what I have learned.
Here is a link about this water

http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Water ... oucous.asp

Nov 9th, '10, 15:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Nov 9th, '10, 15:28

Wow that is super low compared to my medium bottled tea water
Buxton is one of the purest natural mineral waters in the world. According to the British Geological Survey, the water that emerges from the source today fell as rain over 5000 years ago.

During its long underground passage, from a depth of 1500 metres, the water filters through the ancient limestone of the Peak District, acquiring a natural balance of minerals during its long journey. The water emerges at a temperature of 81.5 F regardless of the weather.
http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Water ... Buxton.asp

It certainly seems to make my Dan Cong sing!
A water’s TDS is normally made magup mainly of carbonates, bicarbonates, chlorides, sulfates, phosphates, nitrates, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, manganese, and a few other minerals. Gases, colloids, or sediment is not included in the TDS measurement.After mouthfeel, TDS is the second most important factor in matching water with food. The higher the mineral content, the more distinct a water’s taste can be.

Think of low TDS waters as comparable to white wines, with a clean, neutral taste and less weight; high TDS waters are more like red wines, with a heavier, more substantial feel. Very high TDS waters feel distinctly heavy and may have an aftertaste, much like a big, bold red wine. Most mineral water you drink, though, probably has a medium TDS measurement and is more like a heavy white or a light red wine.

Super Low 0 - 50mg/l
Low 50- 250 mg/l
Medium 250- 800mg/l
High 800 - 1.500mg/l
Very High 1.500mg/l & over

Nov 9th, '10, 16:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Nov 9th, '10, 16:11

olivierco wrote: Here is a link about this water

http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Water ... oucous.asp
Great website olivier :D
Add 1 to my bookmark list!

I now know that my Buxton water falls within Imen's Dan Cong zone for p.h. :)
DC prefers slightly higher PH water (7.25-7.5).
and that it is practically a virgin - Nitrate 0.1 :)

+ Post Reply