Hagi Think Tank 1: tie one on?

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program

Nov 5th, '10, 21:43
Scrolling: scrolling

Hagi Think Tank 1: tie one on?

by Chip » Nov 5th, '10, 21:43

In getting Hagi SOs together, a lot of thinking etc. goes on prior to the announcing of an SO. Often I am going on a leap of faith which has worked out well so far, "knock on wood." I will pick a few brains out there as well, make sure I am somewhat grounded in this HagiMania. :mrgreen:

But I will be posting a series of topics seeking member input.

I have tended to focus on the piece itself and then negotiating for a below market value for unique and limited run Hagi SOs. I make sure we also receive authentic wood boxes. But my primary focus is always on the actual Hagi pieces, making sure they are indeed "Special" offers!!!

When it comes to boxes, there are many options, and they all cost more money. Spending a lot more for upgraded woods and the like seems to not be "value" oriented and in line with SOs. I would rather have a nicer Hagi piece than a more fancy wood.

However tie boxes do not add much to the cost of a Hagi SO, but it is an added cost nevertheless, and it is all or none. So while I might not mind adding say $5 or so on for the tie style boxes, my thinking might not be universal. I can honestly live with or w/o the ties, but it is an interesting and nice option. So I wanted to hear what you all had to say!!!

THANKS! :mrgreen:

Nov 5th, '10, 22:05

Re: Hagi Think Tank 1: tie one on?

by debunix » Nov 5th, '10, 22:05

Perhaps I am not yet a sufficiently sophisticated connoisseur of Hagi to value the boxes as I ought, but right now my pair of boxes are sitting in the back of a cabinet. If I store the Hagi in the boxes, I will have to put them far from the rest of the teaware, and probably mostly forget that I have them. But they do protect the Hagi and validate the cups as produce of a particular potter.

In the long run, I suspect my Hagi boxes are doomed, anyway.

Nov 5th, '10, 22:21

by iannon » Nov 5th, '10, 22:21

I like the boxes..but they arent a must have for me. I use them in my cabinet to store in IF i can set them sideways and have the cup/whatever sit upright in them that way.

Nov 5th, '10, 22:27

by Chip » Nov 5th, '10, 22:27

Just to be clear, the wood boxes are here to stay as they add authenticity to the piece, kind of like a certificate of authenticity.

The question is ... are the optional tie boxes important enough to spend an extra 5 bucks or more?

Nov 5th, '10, 22:34

by iannon » Nov 5th, '10, 22:34

Chip wrote:Just to be clear, the wood boxes are here to stay as they add authenticity to the piece, kind of like a certificate of authenticity.

The question is ... are the optional tie boxes important enough to spend an extra 5 bucks or more?

oh heh.. id rather go with the 5 bucks less. but thats just me. On the other hand I only have the one SO..people who collect more may like the tie boxes better?

Nov 5th, '10, 22:37

by Chip » Nov 5th, '10, 22:37

It would also not have to be all the SOs, just maybe a special one here and there ...

Nov 5th, '10, 22:54

by debunix » Nov 5th, '10, 22:54

Chip wrote:Just to be clear, the wood boxes are here to stay as they add authenticity to the piece, kind of like a certificate of authenticity.

Didn't mean to imply the boxes shouldn't be included, just that to me the boxes aren't important enough to care about the ribbons. Those would probably just get more in my way.
iannon wrote:I use them in my cabinet to store in IF i can set them sideways and have the cup/whatever sit upright in them that way.
This is a great idea. Maybe I can stack them and fit a couple more into that space..... :mrgreen:

Nov 5th, '10, 23:12

by Chip » Nov 5th, '10, 23:12

debunix wrote: Didn't mean to imply the boxes shouldn't be included, just that to me the boxes aren't important enough to care about the ribbons. Those would probably just get more in my way.
That is OK, I just wanted to make sure my question did not get lost in all that I said! :mrgreen:
debunix wrote:
iannon wrote:I use them in my cabinet to store in IF i can set them sideways and have the cup/whatever sit upright in them that way.
This is a great idea. Maybe I can stack them and fit a couple more into that space..... :mrgreen:
You can stack the boxes sideways as well, thus multi levels of Hagi displayed in the now very functional boxes. Hagi condominiums ... :mrgreen:

Nov 6th, '10, 00:26
Vendor Member

by IPT » Nov 6th, '10, 00:26

I would really prefer the ties. I do use my boxes for storage and the ties not only add a nice touch but they also keep the lids secure.

:lol: So, YES to ties!

Nov 6th, '10, 02:13

by Geekgirl » Nov 6th, '10, 02:13

I also like the traditional tie boxes. The ones I have are lovely, but I only have tie boxes on larger pieces, I don't think I've had one for a yunomi. I might be inclined to pay a touch more for a tie box on a special piece.

Nov 6th, '10, 04:09

by Victoria » Nov 6th, '10, 04:09

I'd rather not have the extra expense. I'm in the "doesn't stack well" camp, even if I could display them all. I just have way too many.
Presently all my boxes must go to the attic.

Nov 6th, '10, 08:07

by Drax » Nov 6th, '10, 08:07

Chip, thanks for asking! Given the price of most of these offerings, $5 may seem small, but it's still appreciated :D

As the price "swamps out" the relative addition of the cost, I tend to care less (i.e. if I'm spending $200, an extra 5 is less painful than if I were spending $20).

Out of curiosity, you spoke about "upgrades" as though there might be other kinds (like wood type). What are typical "upgrades" and what are typical costs (not to get us off track)?

I think I am of similar mind as GG -- sometimes a *really* special piece calls for a *really* special package :D

Nov 6th, '10, 19:11

by Chesslover » Nov 6th, '10, 19:11

iannon wrote:oh heh.. id rather go with the 5 bucks less. but thats just me. On the other hand I only have the one SO..people who collect more may like the tie boxes better?
+1

Nov 8th, '10, 06:43

by David R. » Nov 8th, '10, 06:43

I don't know if there Yamane Seigan for example offers ribbon boxes for his expensive works, or if there is a criteria of any kind for modern artists to choose between a plain box or a ribbon one, except the price.

I have a lot of Hagi pieces now, a lot of boxes which I expose too. Only one box has a ribbon. It is the special one. I like it to be the "one of a kind" box among the others.

So my opinion is that the stuff inside should be very special to have a ribbon box. This should be one of the pieces on the top of the shelves, not another cup among the others.

Nov 8th, '10, 07:47

by tortoise » Nov 8th, '10, 07:47

I haven't participated in a hagi offering here yet, but of the ones I've seen, they are stunning pieces at a great price. For me, the boxes are not important. If the piece includes a tie box and the price is right, I wouldn't mind. I also wouldn't mind if the piece didn't come with a box at all so long as it can be shipped safely. The boxes are ideal for long term storage I guess.

For me, it's all about the pottery. I get little to no pleasure from the box.

+ Post Reply