I am Sheng!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 23rd, '07, 21:39

I am Sheng!

by augie » Aug 23rd, '07, 21:39

OK, after the purchase of numerous samples, I believe I am leaning toward raw or Sheng (or shen?). I noticed that the suggested brew times for most of the pu ehr I bought was 30 seconds. which is fine for the cooked pu ehr because it is so strong. However the raw pu ehr i steeped it 2-3 minutes. I know that every tea website says something different.

Do other raw drinkers infuse their raw pu ehr longer than cooked?

I know I'm asking for trouble not using a scale and not using a timer. I do have a balance, but it's 50#s and takes up a lot of real estate on the counter.

I am more confused than ever now after buying 5 samples. I mostly like the raw, but tried one cooked sample that I really liked too. There is such a huge difference among pu ehr teas. Everyone's directions differ slightly and I'm not an exact scientist with my tea.

Aug 25th, '07, 13:09

by maxman » Aug 25th, '07, 13:09

I too prefer the raw, overall. However, sometimes I get a craving for the cooked pu erh.
I've been buying mine from the place in Indiana that others have suggested.

Aug 27th, '07, 14:09

by augie » Aug 27th, '07, 14:09

I have tried a couple of cooked that have a mild flavor that i like.

I noticed that Pu Ehr shop suggested infusing for 30 seconds, however, I usually totally pitch the first infusion b/c it's just too intense for me. All subsequent infusions I go for 30 seconds. Using less tea makes it too weak.

The instructions for the raw pu ehr were also 30 seconds, but I usually go longer. Like 2-3 minutes. Raw is much more forgiving if i don't watch the time.

Generally, how long do you infuse your raw pu ehr?

Aug 27th, '07, 14:53

Re: I am Sheng!

by Mocha Wheels » Aug 27th, '07, 14:53

augie wrote:OK, after the purchase of numerous samples, I believe I am leaning toward raw or Sheng (or shen?). I noticed that the suggested brew times for most of the pu ehr I bought was 30 seconds. which is fine for the cooked pu ehr because it is so strong. However the raw pu ehr i steeped it 2-3 minutes. I know that every tea website says something different.

Do other raw drinkers infuse their raw pu ehr longer than cooked?

I know I'm asking for trouble not using a scale and not using a timer. I do have a balance, but it's 50#s and takes up a lot of real estate on the counter.

I am more confused than ever now after buying 5 samples. I mostly like the raw, but tried one cooked sample that I really liked too. There is such a huge difference among pu ehr teas. Everyone's directions differ slightly and I'm not an exact scientist with my tea.
30 seconds? hmmm... that would cut down the time it takes to make my tea lol... too bad i've heard it's so stinkin expensive... how many infusions can pu ehr get? and how is it pronounced?

Aug 27th, '07, 17:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Aug 27th, '07, 17:49

As with any tea, the more leaf you use the less time it needs to be steeped. Of course more leaf also usually brings out the finer qualities of the tea as well. There is some sheng that is really lackluster unless you use quite a bit, so you might give it a try and experiment until you find the parameters you like best.

Sep 5th, '07, 20:43

Re: I am Sheng!

by augie » Sep 5th, '07, 20:43

Mocha Wheels wrote:
30 seconds? hmmm... that would cut down the time it takes to make my tea lol... too bad i've heard it's so stinkin expensive... how many infusions can pu ehr get? and how is it pronounced?
When I picked up my order from the Pu Ehr shop, the woman pronounced it like she was drawling out the word poor. Poooor. Of course, it probably makes a difference which syllable you inunciate . . .

With the cooked Pu Ehr I can infuse all day at work, several cups at 30 seconds to 1 min. When I make raw Pu Ehr I need to allow it more like 5 min., and it doesn't make as many cups. The instructions for both suggested 30 sec - 1 min for both raw/cooked . . .

+ Post Reply