Hagi Think Tank 1: tie one on?

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program

Nov 9th, '10, 12:05
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Hagi Think Tank 1: tie one on?

by Stentor » Nov 9th, '10, 12:05

I too think that the Hagi piece itself is more important than the kind of wood of the box. I do like the boxes though and I think they are definitely a must have.
Also, it's not like the boxes right now are generic mass market products. They are specifically tailored to the measurements of the cups and have handwritten calligraphy on them. That's pretty nice already!

Regarding fancier boxes, be it higher grade of wood or adding the tie, I think that the value of the box should be proportionate to the value and exclusivity of the Hagi piece.

So basically what I think it comes down to is "the fancier the Hagi, the fancier the box should be".

Below $100 (maybe/probably more) however I don't think the box needs to be any different from the way it is now.
One the other hand, a super special and expensive piece of Hagi-yaki should probably not come in an "entry level" box.

EDIT:
Chip wrote:I will pick a few brains out there as well, make sure I am somewhat grounded in this HagiMania.
...oh and if you ever want to go all out and want to get a more expensive SO made, I'm sure you'll find enough people who'll be on board for it. :mrgreen:
If it gets above a certain price though, you might want to involve interested people (a little) when it comes to determining the look of the pieces. It wouldn't be too great to have Mago sit on crazy expensive pieces people don't like enough to buy them in the end (if that's possible).

Anyway, loving that Hagi SOs are a regular thing and that there's no end in sight!

Nov 9th, '10, 13:36

by Herb_Master » Nov 9th, '10, 13:36

Stentor wrote: So basically what I think it comes down to is "the fancier the Hagi, the fancier the box should be".

+1

Nov 10th, '10, 09:02

by David R. » Nov 10th, '10, 09:02

I expose the boxes along with the cups.
Attachments
bb.JPG
bb.JPG (35.3 KiB) Viewed 3755 times

Nov 10th, '10, 09:54

by Ambrose » Nov 10th, '10, 09:54

I dont own any Hagi but I personally dont think it matters to me much. If I Should get one with or with out I would go with out, im more about enjoying the piece than box. :)

Nov 10th, '10, 10:00

by edkrueger » Nov 10th, '10, 10:00

Ties. I am tired of the lids falling off. The cheap wood that comes with the boxes also has a tendency to warp. I think the ties might help with that as well.

Dec 15th, '10, 15:44

by AdamMY » Dec 15th, '10, 15:44

edkrueger wrote:Ties. I am tired of the lids falling off.
I do not think I've voiced my opinion in this thread yet, but one thing I will say is that I just went digging in my storage cabinet to get out the boxes for the pieces I am sending home... and let me just say while without ties stack easier, it is rather annoying trying to keep them organized when the lids keep falling off.

Dec 16th, '10, 01:28

by Chip » Dec 16th, '10, 01:28

AdamMY wrote:
edkrueger wrote:Ties. I am tired of the lids falling off.
I do not think I've voiced my opinion in this thread yet, but one thing I will say is that I just went digging in my storage cabinet to get out the boxes for the pieces I am sending home... and let me just say while without ties stack easier, it is rather annoying trying to keep them organized when the lids keep falling off.
Spoken like a politician. :mrgreen:

So, 6 of one, half dozen of another?

Aug 13th, '11, 15:33

by senchalover » Aug 13th, '11, 15:33

Time for a new SO. Maybe, a shibuyu deishi hagi houhin again like 2009?
:)

Aug 13th, '11, 18:49

by Tobias » Aug 13th, '11, 18:49

Well, some of us are still waiting for the Eiichi commission which hopefully will be finished this year (if Chip hasn't stolen the deposit money to finance his sencha addiction). :twisted:

Aug 13th, '11, 20:01

by Chip » Aug 13th, '11, 20:01

... it would take a lot more than that ... :mrgreen:

See the Eiichi Commission topic for an update!

BTW, the current plan is to have a tie box for this piece ... since this is the tie box topic. :mrgreen:

Aug 23rd, '11, 23:30

by strickmr » Aug 23rd, '11, 23:30

Totally up for the tie boxes.

Aug 27th, '15, 01:29

by Tead Off » Aug 27th, '15, 01:29

A general comment:
Items with boxes will usually fetch more money. Westerners often don't see the value in having the box, often considering them dust collectors or taking up too much space in their residence.

Aug 27th, '15, 11:16

by hopeofdawn » Aug 27th, '15, 11:16

My two cents: I'm one of those who stores my cups inside their box turned on it's side, with the lid off. While I love the look of tie boxes, the one that I have so far does not allow me to use it as a display, so it mostly just sits in the back of my tea-cupboard and takes up space. On the other hand, it is a very nice box .... :?

Sep 13th, '15, 12:26

by Tsubo » Sep 13th, '15, 12:26

On another side, even "easterners" don't buy systematically wooden boxes when buying a piece : in Japan, if you buy a piece at maker's shop they ask you if you want wooden box at cost or cardboard box free of charge ... and at many ceramic retaillers, there is not even proposed tomobako.

Sep 13th, '15, 12:43

by hobin » Sep 13th, '15, 12:43

At the beginning the tomobako was commissioned by the owner of the teaware piece, not the maker. It usually bore the owner's name and the description of the piece. Each subsequent owner could maybe add some writing praising the piece, or add a bigger box to preserve the old one. If the praise was made by a famous teamaster the object of course gained respect (and value). nowadays the tomobako is more a certificate of authenticity (but there are loads of fake tomobako around...)

+ Post Reply