tea disappointments

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Aug 27th, '07, 12:38

tea disappointments

by Mocha Wheels » Aug 27th, '07, 12:38

has anyone tried a tea (or tea combination) thinking it'd be really good, only to end up being disappointed or even grossed out? what did you try?

Aug 28th, '07, 02:15
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Aug 28th, '07, 02:15

Yes, I've been disappointed with certain teas. The most recent was trying a pu erh tea. I had never had such a tea and it came across very fishy and strong. Lapsang Souchong is another tea I haven't liked much. Too smoky for my tastes.

I have some Keemun that tastes bitter, but I think it's the crop and not much else. I can't stomach Bigelow's vanilla tea (or anything vanilla they come up with). I suspect it's the flavoring.

Standard disclaimers apply. YMMV.

Aug 28th, '07, 11:21

by Mocha Wheels » Aug 28th, '07, 11:21

skywarrior wrote:Yes, I've been disappointed with certain teas. The most recent was trying a pu erh tea. I had never had such a tea and it came across very fishy and strong. Lapsang Souchong is another tea I haven't liked much. Too smoky for my tastes.

I have some Keemun that tastes bitter, but I think it's the crop and not much else. I can't stomach Bigelow's vanilla tea (or anything vanilla they come up with). I suspect it's the flavoring.

Standard disclaimers apply. YMMV.
smokey? weird... that's an adjective i've never heard to discribe teas before... the boutique where i buy my tea had a peppermint white tea w/ red and black pepper but i didn't like the pepper taste. it was mediocre cold but not even as good hot...

Aug 28th, '07, 11:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Aug 28th, '07, 11:41

A good number of teas are roasted and develop a charcoal flavor. Lapsang souchong, though, is traditionally smoked over a pine fire to give it a smoky flavor.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Aug 28th, '07, 17:31

by Michael_C » Aug 28th, '07, 17:31

Itoen hojicha was much too astringent, almost bitter. Also, lapsang souchong, from Adagio, seemed overwhelmed by the smoking process. The mango at Adagio also didn't work at all for me; I thought the mango was too sour and interefered with the tea. Likewise with chamomile; borderline undrinkable. Hmm. I'll have to stick with the less-processed teas, probably.

Aug 28th, '07, 18:39

by aqueoustransmegan » Aug 28th, '07, 18:39

I think the worst was an oolong I tried....I was expecting peachy sweetness.....and it tasted smokey and disgusting! I figured it was because I had not cleaned the pot well. I dumped it out, brewed more water, brewed more tea only to find it was equally as disgusting!

I now know some oolongs are smokey [and to avoid those]

I can not say I was dissapointed in trying pu-erh because I expected to possibly not like it.....but yeah.....i did not like it.

+ Post Reply