Jiao Gu Lan

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jiao Gu Lan

Postby Marco » Nov 13th, '10, 11:54

Yesterday I tried this Jiao Gu Lan Herbal Tea for the first time. - I cannot always drink caffeinated tea in the late hours. :)

Seems to be very very healthy. Does somebody know it?

Tastes strange and smells strange. Not really bad, but it isn't my delight either. Who tried it before?

Re: Jiao Gu Lan

Postby sanamionline » Nov 28th, '10, 00:43

I haven't yet had it that's one reason why I haven't featured it on my website but it is a very common tea here. I have read a lot about it but like most teas boosting healthful qualities I have to say - if it tastes good then drink it. Most of the time these teas that boost healthful qualities are just in for the money and not as a true culture. One reason why I believe tea in the west is considered more healthful/spiritual rather than a true culture.

Postby jayinhk » Aug 28th, '14, 23:47

I drink jiaogulan several times a week--amazing herb. Going to drink it every day I think.

Postby kyarazen » Aug 29th, '14, 02:51

jayinhk wrote:I drink jiaogulan several times a week--amazing herb. Going to drink it every day I think.

a nice alternative to ginseng ;)

Postby jayinhk » Aug 29th, '14, 03:47

Much better if you ask me! :)

Postby Puerlife » Sep 20th, '15, 11:21

I discovered jiaogulan (amachazuru in Japanese; literally "sweet tea vine") soon after moving to Thailand and used to drink a lot of it. It definitely puts wood in the pencil and is calming for me and, unlike ginseng, doesn't make me aggressive and prone to anger outbursts. I can even drink it at night and still sleep normally, no, even better than usual.

I've decided to drink no tea for a week; I'm just not feeling the qi like I should so it's time to give my body and head a chance to recalibrate. So I brewed up some jiaogulan yesterday and today with my new setup--infrared hotplate and ceramic kettle, and 80s 'thousand flower' cups. It is delicious. Years ago I drank it for its effect but didn't know how to make it taste good but now I can bring out the best in it. I can get three, even four infusions starting at about 70c and 30 seconds.

Postby minaa » Sep 25th, '15, 18:22

I've had it. It's a great calming herb with adaptogenic properties, if memory serves (I haven't clicked the link). I should try it again (I have a bag in my cupboard). It tasted almost soapy when I had it last, but sweet. Did you taste any of that when you tried it?

My dad bought it from a vietnamese herbalist, who styled it as "blue tea". I haven't heard it called anything like that online, but figured out what it was after some searching.

Instant Messenger