OTTI 7 & 8, Asa/Fuka Mushi Duel

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 7 & 8, Asa/Fuka Mushi Duel

Postby Chip » Nov 16th, '10, 11:22

Fukamushi brewing.

This is how I do it, please feel free to offer other suggestions as well! I will add this to the OP as well.

I really played with temps this year, and prefer cooler water than ever this year ... interesting. I had used the benchmark 160* F for all HQ asa for several years, but now am brewing cooler.

160* or cooler in a preheated pot. Smell the leaves warming in the preheated pot!

Yame 158*
Fuji 153*
Fuga 158*
Miyabi 153*
Hatsumi 155*

If you use 1/2 of the leaf, this is ~3.8 grams, so 3.8 ounces water. (Fuji and Miyabi each ... 3.5 grams to 3.5 ounces water since these two each have a total of 7 grams!!!)

1st steep 40 seconds SHORT brew time is critical for Fukamushi!!! However, if you lower the temp under 160*, you can increase the time with very good success.

2nd 165* or less for < 30 seconds
3rd 175* or less for 60 seconds
Optional 4th 185* or less for 120 seconds
Optional 5th up to boiling water for up to 5 minutes
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Nov 16th, '10, 11:32

OK, the key for the numbers on the packages, the brewing directions for asa and fuka have been added to the Original Post for this topic. You can find all the info there easily.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Stentor » Nov 16th, '10, 12:43

I got mine today! Only one day after the US domestic shipments, pretty nice! Also no problems at all with customs or anything, so that's a relief.

I'm gonna let the tea get accustomed to room temperature over night and start tasting and reviewing tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the detailed advice, Chip.
And Chip, out of curiosity, how many participants are we in total? (Sorry if I overlooked it if you mentioned it already).

...I also got my latest Hagi purchase today, so yeah, it's been a pretty good day :D (will share pictures soon in the appropriate thread, don't worry)
Stentor

Postby laura99 » Nov 16th, '10, 13:17

Stentor wrote:...I also got my latest Hagi purchase today, so yeah, it's been a pretty good day :D (will share pictures soon in the appropriate thread, don't worry)

Tea and Teaware arriving on the same day, can't get better than that :mrgreen: Look forward to the Hagi pics.
laura99

Postby Mrs. Chip » Nov 16th, '10, 13:19

Stentor wrote:I got mine today! Only one day after the US domestic shipments, pretty nice! Also no problems at all with customs or anything, so that's a relief.

...I also got my latest Hagi purchase today, so yeah, it's been a pretty good day :D (will share pictures soon in the appropriate thread, don't worry)

Wow, congrats!!! Great news Stentor, that seems really super fast!

And ... anxiously awaiting your new Hagi photos!!! Never too much Hagi, right? :twisted: 8)
Mrs. Chip

Postby Kunkali » Nov 16th, '10, 15:47

Thanks for the detailed information, it helps me a lot :mrgreen:
Kunkali

Postby gargoylekitty » Nov 16th, '10, 16:35

Chubseus wrote:Started that night with the Hachiju-Hachiya-from Maiko. Very nice indeed.

The third asa, right? Guess that's actually Maruyama. I tried it too. Agree with your summary. Very nice. Also tried Yame Fukamushi from Den's though I should probably try it again to be fair. The first steep time was longer, though I think the temp I used was closer to 150. Idk. 5am, right before bed, is probably not the best time to be trying new things. I mean, it was alright, but possibly a lower opinion of it than is warranted.

Thanks for the instructions, and everything, Chip!
gargoylekitty

Postby puerhking » Nov 16th, '10, 17:51

Got mine today....thanks for another fantastic OTTI you two! Really looking forward to this one. :mrgreen:
puerhking

Postby Chip » Nov 16th, '10, 18:18

Thanks for the early responses.

I had corrected the numbers everywhere but in the original post. Again, my apologies. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Seeker » Nov 16th, '10, 19:34

OTTI #7 & #8 arrived yesterday.
Looking fwd to them very much!
Seeker

Postby Chubseus » Nov 16th, '10, 21:11

gargoylekitty wrote:
Chubseus wrote:Started that night with the Hachiju-Hachiya-from Maiko. Very nice indeed.

The third asa, right? Guess that's actually Maruyama. I tried it too. Agree with your summary. Very nice.

Actually, it was still right! That's what I get for posting at work and forgetting what I've actually tried. I think I was still in a daze of tea...

I can't wait to try this one again after sampling some others. In the middle of some Sencha Premier right now (for sure this time).
Chubseus

Postby nickE » Nov 17th, '10, 02:12

Sencha "Togei"

1st steep: 160F 90s. Light greenish-yellow soup. Fresh buttered & steamed broccoli. Good clarity and some astringency/bitterness makes for an interesting balance. Long aftertaste, too.

2nd steep: 165F 25s. Tastes much deeper, the slight bitterness of the 1st is gone. Quite complex, but I can't seem to place the flavors. Incredibly "clean" taste, though.

3rd steep: 175F 60s. Even more flavors coming out, I'm impressed. Getting some dark caramel notes and a fruity undertone. Almost tropical.

4th, 5th & 6th steeps: Held up extremely well. Looking forward to my next session with this. :mrgreen:
nickE

Postby Stentor » Nov 17th, '10, 04:59

Really nice reviews, nickE, I can really imagine what the teas taste and feel like from the way you describe them!
I hope I can do as good a job when I start tasting myself later today.

It's funny, with the first review that you did, to me it absolutely felt like all the qualities you were describing were present in O-Cha's Miyabi. It is what I have been drinking primarily for the past month so I could relate very well to these tasting notes :)
Funny that it actually turned out to be the Miyabi in the end!
Stentor

Postby greenleafblue » Nov 17th, '10, 05:54

just reporting I got mine too (Belgium).
Thanks to Chip and Mrs. Chip for the packing work!
greenleafblue

Postby Stentor » Nov 17th, '10, 09:15

Since I‘ve mostly been drinking fukamushi and chumushi for the past months, I‘m going to start with a fukamushi to see how it compares to what I‘ve come to expect from fukamushi.

F1: Yame Fukamushi from Den's

3.6 g, 4 oz water

Appearance of the dry leaf
The appearance of the dry leaf is consistent with other good fukamushi I have had. There may be more intact long „needles“ here than with others. Also, the leaves are a very consistently dark green throughout. There are hardly any deviations from this color, certainly no brownish tones, which I believe is a sign of quality.

Aroma of the dry leaf
The dry leaf has a medium-strong light aroma. I‘d say it‘s primarily grassy and may have some very faint fruity notes. The aroma is not as strong and sweet as a Yutaka Midori from O-Cha for instance but there is definitely a somewhat intense aroma. Keep in mind that the aroma could be less strong due to repackaging.

1st: 70° C (158° F), 40 seconds,preheated kyusu
I‘d say the taste is somewhat mild and primarily sweet with light grassy notes. I enjoy it very much, actually. There is no bitterness or sourness at all. There is some fruitiness. The aftertaste is sweet and there‘s just barely a hint of astringency.

2nd: 73° C (163.4° F), between 5 and 15 seconds (the amount of time it takes to pour the water into the kyusu, put the lid on and carefully pour the tea into the cup)
After a very pleasant first infusion, now there is something I don‘t quite like. That is unusual, as the second infusion is usually the best and most flavorful, to my experience. It may be a vegetal quality that I don‘t like. Sadly this is practically the only flavor this infusion gives. I am fairly disappointed after enjoying the first infusion so much.

3rd: 77° C (170.6° F), between 15 and 30 seconds
The trait that I didn‘t like about the second infusion is still the primary quality of this infusion. There is some added grassiness underneath, as is usual with later steeps, although I would not have expected this already. I am used to this quality coming out from the fourth infusion onwards.

Verdict: Would not buy. It‘s a little sad. I was enthusiastic at first. The appearance of the leaf, the aroma and especially the first infusion made me really optimistic. After that however, I did not enjoy it.

EDIT: I just read Den's description of the tea and learned that it is in fact of the Yutaka Midori breed. I would have never guessed that. It is very different in taste from other Yutaka Midori I have had. (I did not look at the vendor's site before tasting so as not to be influenced in any way.)
Last edited by Stentor on Nov 17th, '10, 09:28, edited 2 times in total.
Stentor

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions