Debit Information Stolen

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Nov 17th, '10, 08:59

Debit Information Stolen

by denholma » Nov 17th, '10, 08:59

So, my debit card information was recently stolen and used to make about $700 in purchases at an online store. I very rarely use this card and, in fact, the only online retailer I have used the card at is at Adagio. The only other places that I have used the card is to pay bills online and at a local Subway. The police and my bank are both pretty certain that the information had to have been stolen from Adagio. So, thought I should mention this is a possibility and maybe Adagio should check their security or something.

Nov 17th, '10, 11:08
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Debit Information Stolen

by Chip » Nov 17th, '10, 11:08

I hear it is very easy for someone to steal debit card info when using the card in person at a store or even an ATM. This is done constantly.

I will be interested to hear Adagio's reply.

Nov 17th, '10, 11:32
Adagio

by ilya » Nov 17th, '10, 11:32

Sorry to hear that your credit card info was stolen. However, we have had no similar reports of any unusual activity from any of our other customers.

In checking your order history, I noticed that you have been using the same credit card with us for the past 2 years. I'm not sure what additional info you possess that makes you think that we are the source of the security breach, but please allow us to help you any way we can.

Nov 17th, '10, 14:00

by Herb_Master » Nov 17th, '10, 14:00

denholma wrote:So, my debit card information was recently stolen and used to make about $700 in purchases at an online store. I very rarely use this card and, in fact, the only online retailer I have used the card at is at Adagio. The only other places that I have used the card is to pay bills online and at a local Subway. The police and my bank are both pretty certain that the information had to have been stolen from Adagio. So, thought I should mention this is a possibility and maybe Adagio should check their security or something.
Presumably there was a delivery address for these purchases, have any authorities followed up on this?

Nov 17th, '10, 16:03

by teaisme » Nov 17th, '10, 16:03

denholma wrote: The police and my bank are both pretty certain that the information had to have been stolen from Adagio.
How would they know this...and if they did where is the action...
I would bet some kid took your number at subway over adagio taking your info online

Another possibility is that your computer is not well protected and someone has installed a trojan or keylogger

Nov 18th, '10, 01:21

by denholma » Nov 18th, '10, 01:21

Well, the reason that they are both thinking it must have been Adagio is because I hardly ever use the card. I live in a very very small town and there has never been a case of credit theft here - credit card theft yes, but it wasn't my card that was stolen, just my information. Other than a few small local stores the only place I use my card is to pay bills online - gas, cable, insurance, and student loans - and to buy tea at adagio. I just had my exp date on my card changed a couple months ago so the information had to have been stolen since then and Adagio is the only other place I've used it other than bills and a couple of local stores. This is why they are thinking it must have been stolen here. Personally, I don't agree - I've never had problems with Adagio before and I think if they had a security problem they would have said something. Possibly it could be one of the places I pay bills. And yes, they are checking into where the purchases are supposed to be delivered. Also, I've never used my card at an ATM or any large store and it has never been out of my sight - even when I pay at a store I always watch my card. I have a very distinctive picture on my card so that it can't be switched. Honestly, we are all kind of baffled since I so rarely use my card. Also, I generally pay my bills at work and since I work for the police dept our computer is pretty secure. I don't want to seem like I am accusing Adagio - I just want to put it out there that it is a possibility and maybe should be checked into.

Nov 18th, '10, 02:58

by Victoria » Nov 18th, '10, 02:58

I had my American Express identity stolen though an Adagio online transaction. How, I don't know. But I had not used my card anywhere else. Rather than Adagio being hacked for stored information, it seems it was intercepted when the info was transmitted. Again, I have no idea how, only that it happened to me too.

Nov 18th, '10, 03:28

by bsteele » Nov 18th, '10, 03:28

Definitely some sort of virus/key-logger on your computer. Probably from all that pr0n you've been looking at. Hmmmmmm?

All kidding aside...

Hate that this happened to you. Eff people who suck. :evil:

Maybe one of the "small local stores" stole your information with a card reader attached those CC swipe dealy things. Maybe someone went through your mail and got your information. Some sort of virus could be logging all your activity. Are you using/have you ever used a laptop- and if so- have you ever used Wi-Fi on it? Have you ever used any other computer (hotel, friend, library) while paying for something?

Oh the fun that is identity/CC theft. It's serious business, happens all the time even when we think we are safe.

Much luck figuring it out!

Nov 18th, '10, 04:45

by denholma » Nov 18th, '10, 04:45

I very much doubt it was anything like a card reader at a local store - everyone knows everyone here and that sort of thing just can't happen. Maybe you don't understand when I say very small - Madison has a population of around five thousand and it is the largest town in the area for nearly an hour in every direction. That sort of thing just doesn't happen here. It hardly ever happens even in Sioux Falls which is twenty times larger. You've got to remember, this is South Dakota. We get lots and lots of e-mail, mail, and phone scams but very little that is actually done physically here for that type of fraud. It is just too easy for that sort of thing to be caught in a small town. The only two computers I have ever entered my card # into are my home computer and my work computer. My home computer is VERY secure (my husband is a computer geek and has a degree which is in part network security) and, as I believe I mentioned previously, I work for the police dept/sheriff's office and our computer is also very secure - the county contracts with a company specifically to keep the computers secure. No one but me and my husband have access to my computer and no one but employees of the county - all background checked - have access to the work computer. Therefore, I really doubt it was anything on my end. Also, I don't get any of my card informationt through the mail since I have paperless statements and billing, and Wells Fargo wouldn't send that kind of information through the mail anyway, the card # only shows the last four digits, not the whole thing. And I have never used the card at an ATM. Yep, this one has pretty much everyone baffled.

Victoria, how long ago was your information stolen and are you sure it was through an Adagio transaction? Mine would have been stolen probably in the last three months since my exp date changed about 3 months ago and they would have had to use the new exp or it wouldn't have gone through.

Nov 18th, '10, 04:54

by Victoria » Nov 18th, '10, 04:54

It was in 2008 so I'm not much help. They used the card for online iTune purchases, I do remember that much. American Express caught it immediately. Since then I only use a smaller VISA for those places that don't take Paypal. That way it's not such a hassle if it happens again.

Nov 18th, '10, 13:34

by TwoPynts » Nov 18th, '10, 13:34

Adagio's checkout is secure and verified through VeriSign. I've used it for a number of purchases without issue. I agree with previous posters that it is more likely that the information was intercepted somehow in transit (do you have a wireless network) or at a B&M storefront in your town. Whenever I hear someone say "...that sort of thing just can't happen" I shudder because, yes, it can. Often it is someone you least suspect. Identity theft is on the rise, even in small towns.

Just out of curiosity, can you share which online stores the purchases were made from?

Nov 18th, '10, 14:46

by rabbit » Nov 18th, '10, 14:46

Most credit card theft is done in person and very rarely from an online vendor like adagio with a secure connection... I'm not saying it couldn't have happened... but you're MUCH more likely to have had your card stolen from an actual resturant, ever notice how you write your tip amount on the reciept AFTER you get the card back? They can still charge without the card, not to mention all they need is the #, the date, and the security code on the back of the card to buy things online.

I agree with herb_master, there must be a shipping address for the items purchased online.

(as for the small town thing... that doesn't make a difference, just because everyone knows everyone DOESN'T mean that the people who do illegal things are going to openly tell people that they steal)

Nov 20th, '10, 02:03

by denholma » Nov 20th, '10, 02:03

Seriously, have you people ever lived in a small town? I'm not saying that it can't happen here or that people here don't steal because, obviously, they do. I am saying that no one would do that at a small store in Madison because they would get caught. Easily. If there is more than a handful of people who have their credit card #s stolen in a year in Madison I would be utterly shocked (and I work for the police so I know that there isn't). If several people suddenly have #s stolen in Madison it will be terribly easy to narrow down the store and nab the employee. This is why I say that it almost certainly wasn't a local store. And if you really want the rundown, since my exp# changed (and it had to have been stolen since then because one of the charges has gone through) I have used the card at my local veterinarian twice, local Subway twice, local grocery store once, local drug store once, to pay city utility bill three times, to pay cable bill online three times, to pay gas bill online three times, to pay student loans online three times, and purchases at Adagio twice. That is all. No restaurants, no ATMs, no major stores, and no other online purchases. Like I said, this has us all pretty baffled. There has never, repeat NEVER, been a case of identity theft that originated at a local store here, ever. I very much doubt I am the first, especially since no one else in town has reported any problems. I've already explained how secure the only two computers I have ever entered my information into are, so, what am I to think? Adagio is literally the only online store I have shopped at with this card. Really, I'd prefer it to be Adagio than one of the places where I pay bills online - that really makes me nervous! :(

Oh, and the fraudulent purchases were made at Sam's Club Online.

Nov 20th, '10, 02:14

by iannon » Nov 20th, '10, 02:14

yup..Population 5278 at last count :)
Sorry to hear about your issue.

Nov 24th, '10, 00:03

by Joe Z » Nov 24th, '10, 00:03

Baseless accusations aren't really the way to go in this situation, it's not going to get you far. Let the people who are paid to figure this stuff out figure it out before you go and point fingers. You have no hard evidence that any one merchant is responsible for your number being stolen and you have no right to place blame on pure assumption.

+ Post Reply