Restriction on weight of package from Japan to the U.S.

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Nov 16th, '10, 07:00

Re: Restriction on weight of package from Japan to the U.S.

by exquisite » Nov 16th, '10, 07:00

The way I see it it is just economic "imbalance" import-export or tax related interests. Terrorism ( as in many other cases) is just a pathetic excuse.
Still, as we should keep politics out of this site´s scene, we can only figure out workarounds as to avoid impediments related to our "interests" :D
Anyway, knowing the "real" reason (if there is such thing) would not help very much. I´m almost sure whoever has pulled this has no idea of tea culture, so we are just collateral "victims".

Nov 16th, '10, 09:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 16th, '10, 09:40

Interestingly I have not heard anything from two tea vendors located in Japan. Maybe they are scrambling to meet the new requirements ...

BUT, I heard from Japanese Ebayer Magokorodo. They are contracted with Japan Post and will be able to ship packages over 16 ounces to the USA! :mrgreen:

Ebay Japan sent this message to Japanese ebayers ... if you scroll down, there are English instructions/info. Might be TMI for most of us, but good to know they are working on it.
このメッセージは、eBayから magokorodo
様へ送信されています。
このメッセージには、eBayに登録されている出品者の登録名が使用されています。
詳細情報はこちら。
453g 以上の日本郵便のUS向け発送が17日以降一部停止されます
eBay セラーの皆様
アメリカ向け発送に関する日本郵便様の最新のニュースを至急ご確認下さい。
<日本郵便様-米国等あて航空運送する郵便物の一部の引受停止について>
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/whats_new/ ... 02_c01.pdf
17日以降、上記に該当するアメリカ向け航空便は日本郵便様にて取り扱いが中止されます。
セラー様に置かれましては、状況確認の上、至急の対応をお願い申し上げます。
配送条件等の詳細につきましては日本郵便のお問い合わせ窓口までお問い合わせください。 http://www.post.japanpost.jp/question/c ... ndex2.html
<Tips>
# 日本郵便様と後納の契約をされている場合、上記より除外される場合があります。契約までは1-2ヶ月程度かかりますので至急お近くの郵便局でお確かめ下さい。
# 掲載商品の重量をご確認下さい。
# 17日周辺に終了する取引に関してはバイヤーと至急連絡を取ってください。
# 17日以降に終了する出品をご確認下さい。
# その他の発送方法があればご確認下さい。
The eBay Team
JP POST Will Not Accept Parcels to the US Weighing Over 16 oz
Dear eBay Seller,
Please be aware of the latest shipping announcement from JP POST that may affect your shipments to the US.
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/whats_new/ ... 02_c01.pdf
(Japanese Only)
<Summary of the JP POST announcement>
Air mails weighing above 16 oz to the US and its territories will not be accepted by JP POST, unless you have a contract with JP Post,as of Wednesday, November 17th.
JP POST announced last Friday that air mail packages over 16 oz to the US and its territories will not be acceptable from November 17th because JP POST does not have any methods of sending them to the destination due to the reinforcement of US air security against the recent activities of terrorists.

1. UNACCEPTABLE PARCELS
Items correspond to following conditions are not accepted by JP POST
Destination
US and its territories (Guam, Saipan, Wake islands, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Midway Atoll, Puerto Rico, Samoa, Virgin Islands )
Sort of shipment
Air mail
Air small packet
SAL
SAL small packet
EMS
Weight
Over 16 oz
Payment
All payment method except deferred payment (register needed)

2. WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
JP POST continuse to accept air mails or surface mail less than 16 oz.

For those of you who have a contract with JP Post, you will not be impacted and can continue to ship to any destination of any weight and size.

For those of you that currently do not have a contract with JP Post, please initiate the process as soon as possible as with your local JP Post office we estimate it will take 30-60 days to activate this account, so that you can resume your business on eBay [Including instructions from JP Post on how to do this].
Please make sure to take appropriate action to avoid BBE.
For items that weigh above 16oz, and if you are a seller that does not have a contract, you may want to consider cancelling listings until you find an alternate solution.
3. JP POST CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER
If you would like to obtain further information, please visit the following site and reach out JP Post CS team.
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/question/tel_en.html
<Tips>
# Check the weight of your shipping.
# Communicate immediately with buyer about current listings and items that will end around Wednesday.
# Contact JP Post office if you currently do not have a contract
# Explore alternate shipping solutions such as Fedex.
# eBay team is exploring other alternative solutions for sellers that currently don’t have a contract in place to avoid disruption of their eBay businesses, so please stay tuned.
The eBay Japan Team

Nov 16th, '10, 16:43

by exquisite » Nov 16th, '10, 16:43

artisticnippon homepage features a similar announcement.
(Damn, I was planning to get something from them soon :D )

They do not mention strictly US destinations or weight limits of any kind.

-------------------------------------------------

Seems that customs office still blames terrorism for the usual "holiday madness and chaos delaying many things , not just the postal delivery system"....
I wonder .... why not global warming, or swine flu, or freemasons, teddybears or butterflies ? :mrgreen:
In fact why don´t just admit it´s normal for things to get chaotic during holidays? (which would be the most close-to-the-truth)... Re-evaluating the whole situation I´m actually starting to suspect that the postal service is simply overwhelmed with the quantity of packages during this period, that they are simply trying to limit the shopping/gifting frenzy which paralyzes everything around...

Nov 16th, '10, 16:53

by entropyembrace » Nov 16th, '10, 16:53

exquisite wrote:artisticnippon homepage features a similar announcement.

Seems that customs office still blames terrorism for the usual "holiday madness and chaos delaying many things , not just the postal delivery system"....
I wonder .... why not global warming, or swine flu, or freemasons, teddybears or butterflies ? :mrgreen:
In fact why don´t just admit it´s normal for things to get chaotic during holidays? (which would be the most close-to-the-truth)... Re-evaluating the whole situation I´m actually starting to suspect that the postal service is simply overwhelmed with the quantity of packages during this period, that they are simply trying to limit the shopping/gifting frenzy which paralyzes everything around...
seems like the most likely reason....but "terrorists" are the popular scapegoat these days. :roll:

Nov 16th, '10, 18:05

by AdamMY » Nov 16th, '10, 18:05

exquisite wrote:artisticnippon homepage features a similar announcement.

I do not get any of that from his notice, in just states that due to terrorism worries, all packages will be subject to extra checks in customs. People who order around the holidays know that they are bad shipping wise, but this is saying that it will have to go through more checks than usual, which will likely delay things.

Nov 16th, '10, 18:46

by skilfautdire » Nov 16th, '10, 18:46

I sure hope these new regulations does not affect parcels shipping from the USA. I'm (anxiously now - it takes way too much time) waiting for some bacterias (bacterii ?) from the USA.

Nov 17th, '10, 09:50

by JBaymore » Nov 17th, '10, 09:50

skilfautdire wrote:I sure hope these new regulations does not affect parcels shipping from the USA.
Interesting question. I've heard nothing here. I have to ship a bunch of stuff to Japan soon...and it ain't light. Sometimes I do use the US Postal service and sometimes my pottery business FedEx account.

Hummmmmmmmm....................

best,

................john

Nov 17th, '10, 11:01

by Chip » Nov 17th, '10, 11:01

JBaymore wrote:This will kill a lot of the Japanese E-Bayers!

best,

...............john
Yeah, this definitely seems to be the case. Katsuragi is a notable victim, order from them and you will not see the item til January, I think their only listed option is seamail. They do not mention the new regulation, which they should.

Nov 17th, '10, 13:56

by Chip » Nov 17th, '10, 13:56

MaikoTea wrote:It does not effect our company's deliveries since we have a special account with the local post office.
It would be a problem if I were to send you something privately from Japan.
Maiko just contacted me.

It is interesting that a person living in Japan cannot physically send something to a friend or family member in the USA for the holidays ... what has become of this world? After decades of the world becoming a smaller place, the world just got bigger again.

Nov 17th, '10, 17:05

by togei » Nov 17th, '10, 17:05

John,
Shipping to Japan isn't affected as far as I have heard.

My opinion is that in a couple of weeks 'everyone' will be registered with the Japanese post office and things will be back to normal.
Dave

Nov 17th, '10, 23:31
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Nov 17th, '10, 23:31

The kind of thing started when the USA started requiring "Prior Notice" when sending any food item from abroad to the USA. If you want to send a box of chocolates from Paris to your niece in Chicago (or tea from Japan to USA), you are required to go to the FDA website and get prior notice first. The USA is the only country doing this. This, supposedly, was to prevent bio-terrorism. It still escapes me how someone could infect the food supply by sending a food item through the mail.

Nov 18th, '10, 07:44

by skilfautdire » Nov 18th, '10, 07:44

Well, it is well-known that every Important People in the USA, including the president himself (eventually: herself. And in the distant future: itself - although I think Japan is likely to be first with the 'it' being a president), are picking up their mail right from their mailbox in front of their houses. And when its around Xmas time they go pick up their mail with a spoon and fork, ready to eat whatever food present was sent to them. Hence, the regulation was born which not only protect these people, but by generosity and humanity, covers every citizen. :)

Nov 20th, '10, 16:04

by JBaymore » Nov 20th, '10, 16:04

Just saw this notice on a Japanese Ebayer's auction:

Attention to US customers:

Due to the recent threat of terrorists against United States and thereby the reinforcement of aero safety by the US government, Japan Post has accounted that it would stop shipping packages over 453g(16oz) to United States including US territories such as Guam and Saipan effective November 17th.

This includes EMS, Airmail, and SAL packages and it will affect estimate of over 200,000 shipments a month.

According to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, this treatment intend to limit the number of packages with unknown senders and unclear item contents that are shipped to United States and this will last at least 1 month.

Fortunately, I have a special arrangement with Japan Post and I can still ship packages to United States. However, please expect possible delay on shipments due to the high security at US airports.

Nov 20th, '10, 17:23

by Chip » Nov 20th, '10, 17:23

I had a package shipped out from Japan via EMS on Tuesday the 16th. It arrived on Friday the 19th.

It will be interesting to compare this to packages going out after the 17th.

Dec 10th, '10, 00:54

by togei » Dec 10th, '10, 00:54

I just got back from sending 2 kimonos to the U.S. and Japan Post let me know SAL is available again. I am guessing EMS is also available. The packages are being inspected more closely upon arrival so it will take a little longer than usual.
Dave

+ Post Reply