Opinion about dirt-cheap organic matcha ?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 18th, '10, 18:56

Re: Opinion about dirt-cheap organic matcha ?

by entropyembrace » Nov 18th, '10, 18:56

edkrueger wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:
edkrueger wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:Lower grades of matcha have stronger flavours and can be really good...but that´s more in the $15 per 30g range...
If you pay Japanese market prices, you can get descent koicha sutable matcha for as little as 600 yen for 20g. That said, it will be pretty boring.
Can you get Japanese market prices without traveling to Japan (which is much more expensive than paying the markups)?
Yep. Just order from a Japanese vendor. Ippodo, Horaido or Koyama-en will work. The shipping is still WAY less than the markups. Markups are about 300% where shipping+price is about 150%
I do order my Japanese teas from Japanese vendors...Ippodo is the only one I´ve seen selling cheap matcha claimed to be suitable for koicha.

Nov 18th, '10, 23:01

by britt » Nov 18th, '10, 23:01

Isn't DTH the vendor that got caught using a Tea Chat members matcha pics on their own products? They could just as easily post a picture of an organic certification taken from another product. I have never trusted this vendor and never will.

I would never buy matcha from China, regardless of where they claim it came from or what certification it is claimed to have. There is plenty of decent matcha in the lower price ranges that can be purchased direct from Japan in larger qualtities for some additional savings. With some vendors it can be shipped via airmail instead of EMS for less than $10. Yuuki-cha products are all organic and several of their matchas can be purchased in 100 gram bags for a significant savings. I would recommend this approach as there is far less chance of getting ripped off or receiving an inferior product when purchased from a reputable and knowlegable Japanese vendor. O-Cha's Kiri no Mori is not as cheap as the DTH offering, but is an excellent, lower-priced matcha. For bulk I think it's hard to beat Yukki-cha's offering in the 100 gram bags.

Nov 19th, '10, 05:39

by skilfautdire » Nov 19th, '10, 05:39

britt wrote:Isn't DTH the vendor that got caught using a Tea Chat members matcha pics on their own products?
That's a tall one. Can Tea Chat confirm/deny this ?
No mention in the tea vendor section for DTH.

Nov 19th, '10, 05:50

by Nenugal » Nov 19th, '10, 05:50

skilfautdire wrote:
britt wrote:Isn't DTH the vendor that got caught using a Tea Chat members matcha pics on their own products?
That's a tall one. Can Tea Chat confirm/deny this ?
No mention in the tea vendor section for DTH.
See http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13996

Nov 19th, '10, 18:34

by skilfautdire » Nov 19th, '10, 18:34

OK, thanks. Hmmmm. Casts a bit of doubt about ordering. There's a mention of Gordon. Is this a similar operation as Yunnansourcing and Scott Wilson, eg. an American guy located in China and doing tea business ?

Nov 19th, '10, 18:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 19th, '10, 18:45

He rectified the image "borrowing" promptly. I think an over zealous member of his staff just went too far. It can happen.

Anyway, I want emphasize that I would have no qualms ordering from this vendor, just not Japanese tea when there are legit alternatives. I hope he focuses on his strengths which are Chinese tea and teaware.

But if peeps buy this "Japanese matcha,", he might stick with it ...

Nov 20th, '10, 06:05

by skilfautdire » Nov 20th, '10, 06:05

Chip wrote:But if peeps buy this "Japanese matcha,", he might stick with it ...
Interesting. Could be valuable data to the subject.

So went on on a search for the meaning of peeps and found this in Wikipedia:

"Furthermore, Peeps are insoluble in acetone, water, diluted sulfuric acid, and sodium hydroxide."

So does it mean that if a tough guy buys that matcha, he will like it ?

Nov 20th, '10, 11:32
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 20th, '10, 11:32

Unless it's otherwise stated (I didn't read the entire listing), I guess we can't assume it's Japanese matcha. I've noticed some Japanese web stores don't specify where every product is produced either. So I don't know if some relatively less expensive matcha from Japan is made in Japan or China. One thing for sure is Chinese matcha should be much much less expensive than Japanese matcha.

I guess peeps is just slang for people :D But I am not sure either :oops:

Nov 20th, '10, 11:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 20th, '10, 11:52

Yes, peeps are people ... :lol:

If people buy it, he will sell it.

Nov 20th, '10, 12:23

by edkrueger » Nov 20th, '10, 12:23

entropyembrace wrote:
edkrueger wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:
edkrueger wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:Lower grades of matcha have stronger flavours and can be really good...but that´s more in the $15 per 30g range...
If you pay Japanese market prices, you can get descent koicha sutable matcha for as little as 600 yen for 20g. That said, it will be pretty boring.
Can you get Japanese market prices without traveling to Japan (which is much more expensive than paying the markups)?
Yep. Just order from a Japanese vendor. Ippodo, Horaido or Koyama-en will work. The shipping is still WAY less than the markups. Markups are about 300% where shipping+price is about 150%
I do order my Japanese teas from Japanese vendors...Ippodo is the only one I´ve seen selling cheap matcha claimed to be suitable for koicha.
O-cha doesn't count.

Nov 20th, '10, 14:49

by entropyembrace » Nov 20th, '10, 14:49

edkrueger wrote: O-cha doesn't count.
O-cha.com
22 Kajimachi, Taira
Iwaki, Fukushima
970-8026
Japan

isn´t Japanese?

marukyu-koyamaen´s cheapest koicha is 1,260 yen per 20g and maiko´s is 2,700 yen per 40g. So no, I wasn´t just comparing ippodo´s prices to O-cha´s

also...have you ever ordered tea from Marukyu? It doesn´t seem like they sell anything through their website but their catalogue looks interesting.

ok...it seems they have a secret handshake ordering system involving faxing credit card numbers...

it´s a requirement for me that a vendor accepts paypal and has an up to date e-commerce site...so I´ll stick with O-cha, Zencha and Maiko
I like fuka so no problems with o-cha and zencha :roll: :lol:

also...back to the original topic...

If you want a large quantity of cheap matcha I´d recommend buying a 100g bag from Zencha or 200g bag from Maiko. Both are reputable Japanese vendors and I know their budget teas are fresh and tasty :)

Nov 20th, '10, 18:00

by edkrueger » Nov 20th, '10, 18:00

entropyembrace wrote: O-cha.com
22 Kajimachi, Taira
Iwaki, Fukushima
970-8026
Japan

isn´t Japanese?
Its in Japan. By Japanese, I meant a company that sells tea in Japan as well.
entropyembrace wrote: also...have you ever ordered tea from Marukyu? It doesn´t seem like they sell anything through their website but their catalogue looks interesting.

ok...it seems they have a secret handshake ordering system involving faxing credit card numbers...
I wasn't really sure what their E commerce was like. I looked it up and figured they had something, but didn't realize that it was so disorganized. I had their tea in Japan.
entropyembrace wrote:it´s a requirement for me that a vendor accepts paypal and has an up to date e-commerce site...so I´ll stick with O-cha, Zencha and Maiko
I prefer companies that have one of the other. If you don't have an E commerce site, then I'd like to see a paypal option. Paying on a E commerce site with a credit card isn't a big deal for me and I like better tea for less money.

Nov 21st, '10, 02:58
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Nov 21st, '10, 02:58

edkrueger wrote:O-cha doesn't count.
Most of our tea is supplied to us from the original grower, we are a registered Japanese corporation, we buy and pay our vendors in Japanese yen, pay Japanese taxes, package and ship it from Japan, and the last time I checked half the team over here are Japanese. But we don't "count" huh? I'm just sayin... :roll:

Nov 21st, '10, 05:14

by britt » Nov 21st, '10, 05:14

There are several vendors I have used in Japan that have Western owners but still provide excellent products, both tea and teaware. They usually provide better service than you would expect to get from a Western vendor but not always as good as with a Japanese-owned vendor. Overall I've found them to be acceptable to deal with and have found their products to be among the best available from any vendor operating out of Japan, regardless of where the owner is from. I have found them to be very superior to the Western businesses selling from over here.

I have used O-Cha, 2000 Cranes, and Unique Japan, all of whom have Western owners, and have been extremely happy with their products. I stopped using O-Cha not because of anything being wrong with the tea (exception = 2009 YM), but because I was getting tired of recurring account problems and unanswered e-mails that were related to the account troubles. How problems like these are addressed is the only real difference I've seen between Western and Japanese owners operating out of Japan. As for O-Cha's products, the quality overall far exceeds what I've found from any Japanese tea vendor with the exception of Hojo and possibly Yuuki-cha (not sure if Yuuki-cha has a Japanese or Western owner). I still frequently recommend O-Cha's teas even though I stopped using them as my own vendor.

Nov 23rd, '10, 21:20

by britt » Nov 23rd, '10, 21:20

Kevin, thanks for contacting me after you read this and letting me know about your new shopping cart system. I've opened a new account and ordered a couple of cans of Kiri no Mori. I've recommended it enough on this forum that I think I should try it again myself, as it has been a while.

Based on my first order from the new account, no problems! Everything worked great. The shopping cart was empty after I completed the order, where before the same items remained in the cart making it impossible not to order those same items the next time.

Thanks again for the update.

+ Post Reply