What does Mao Feng (毛峰) mean?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 21st, '10, 17:29

What does Mao Feng (毛峰) mean?

by mbanu » Nov 21st, '10, 17:29

Such as Keemun Mao Feng, Huang Shan Mao Feng, Jiu Hua Mao Feng, etc.? I've heard mention that it refers to the grade of tea, but that doesn't seem right, as I believe that China follows a numerical tea grading system, with each recognized style having a ranked grading system (Grade 1, 2, 3, etc.) based on characteristics particular to its style... Is this incorrect? Another option I've heard of is that Mao Feng refers to the cultivar used. That is, that all Mao Feng teas use the Mao Feng tea cultivar, but are grown in different areas and processed in different ways. That sounds a bit suspect as well...

Can anyone help shed some light on this?

Nov 21st, '10, 17:51
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: What does Mao Feng (毛峰) mean?

by Proinsias » Nov 21st, '10, 17:51

Nov 21st, '10, 21:00

by geeber1 » Nov 21st, '10, 21:00

I've been told that it means the top two leaves and the bud.

Nov 23rd, '10, 00:06

by SlientSipper » Nov 23rd, '10, 00:06

I was told that it refers to a mountain region of China.
As a bit of a side note. That tea goes great with Chinese Pastries.

Nov 23rd, '10, 00:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 23rd, '10, 00:09

SlientSipper wrote:I was told that it refers to a mountain region of China.
As a bit of a side note. That tea goes great with Chinese Pastries.
Huang Shan Mao Feng, the Huang Shan refers to Yellow Mountain I believe, which is where much Mao Feng is (or was) produced. Perhaps someone was speaking of this particular Mao Feng?

Nov 23rd, '10, 13:26
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 23rd, '10, 13:26

As Chip said, Huang Shan is name of the region, and is where the most famous Mao Feng is produced. Mao Feng describes the tea. Most Chinese tea names have two parts, the first part the region, and the second part descriptive. But sometimes both parts are descriptive. In Jiu Hua Mao Feng, "Jiu Hua" refers to Jiu Hua Mountain. But if a tea is called Jasmine Mao Feng or Mao Feng Snow Flakes, then Jasmine or "snow flakes" refers to the flower used to scent the tea.

Mao Feng is only part of a tea name. It refers to a tea made in a similar method as in Huang Shan Mao Feng. But there are exceptions. Keemun Mao Feng is a red tea named with Mao Feng. It looks more similar to green tea Mao Feng than many other red teas, but it looks quite differently from green tea Mao Feng.

Nov 24th, '22, 15:54

by dcarlsen » Nov 24th, '22, 15:54

I also have often wondered what Mao Feng means. Though, too often the definition I have been given is to use the term to describe itself. i.e. "Mao Feng is only part of a tea name. It refers to a tea made in a similar method as in Huang Shan Mao Feng."

If Mao Feng refers to a method of production can anyone describe that method? Not knowing what the HuangShan Mao Feng method is I still don't know what Mao Feng means. Or is it in fact defining the part of the tea plant used i.e. "the top two leaves and the bud"? Or is it a grade of tea? There doesn't appear to be a consensus. Or is that merely the nature of the name "mao feng" in that it can have several meanings?

Thank you, all.

+ Post Reply