Processed sheng for immediate consumption?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 22nd, '10, 12:39

Processed sheng for immediate consumption?

by argus » Nov 22nd, '10, 12:39

I've been hearing about some processed sheng cakes that are better for immediate consumption and aren't really good for storing and aging. Maybe they're classified as shu pu-erh but lightly fermented?

If they exist, what are its merits and flaws comparing to regular sheng and/or shu pu? Which cakes would you recommend?

Nov 22nd, '10, 13:11
Vendor Member

Re: Processed sheng for immediate consumption?

by gingkoseto » Nov 22nd, '10, 13:11

I don't have a clue about the answer, but I think that's a very good and important question :D

If considering sheng but not shu, I believe every tea has an "uphill" period and a peak stage, and then downhill period of its quality. It may not be a clear cut whether a tea should be consumed immediately or after a long time. The length of favorable aging period may range from several years to many years.

I personally believe most sheng from Lin Cang (one of my favorite regions) has its peak time coming much sooner than many other sheng, and I don't attempt to store them for 20 years. But I didn't really spend 20 years to experiment this out, so I don't really know :mrgreen:

Nov 22nd, '10, 14:32

by nickE » Nov 22nd, '10, 14:32

If you're looking for an over-oxidized Shengpu, I'd say pick up some Xiaguan FT stuff.

Also, Dayi 0622 is pretty oxidized as well.

Personally, I enjoy this one for drinking now:
http://www.jas-etea.com/products/2007-X ... -400g.html

Nov 22nd, '10, 15:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Nov 22nd, '10, 15:39

http://www.banateacompany.com/pages/pue ... -cake.html

I personally don't care for this at all, but it fits the bill. Other people seem to like it.

Nov 22nd, '10, 18:16

by tingjunkie » Nov 22nd, '10, 18:16

argus wrote:I've been hearing about some processed sheng cakes that are better for immediate consumption and aren't really good for storing and aging. Maybe they're classified as shu pu-erh but lightly fermented?

If they exist, what are its merits and flaws comparing to regular sheng and/or shu pu? Which cakes would you recommend?
There are two different categories of sheng which is intentionally made "ready to drink" in my mind, but shu is its own separate thing entirely. On one hand, you have sheng made from mao cha which is allowed to oxidize before being pressed into cakes- the Moonlight White that Brandon linked to (I happen to be one of the folks who thinks it's decent :P ) is an example. To me it tastes like a crazy sheng/red tea hybrid, but it's not without its charm.

Another type is sheng which is processed in the same way as "age-able" sheng mao cha, but it may not have the qualities to lend itself to aging (too subtle, delicate, not enough bitterness that will turn to sweetness in your mouth, etc). I often find these are sold in loose form. Probably because steaming them to put in cake form would affect the subtle flavors too much. Some of these can be excellent teas though... just not in 10 years maybe.

+ Post Reply