OTTI 7 & 8, Asa/Fuka Mushi Duel

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 7 & 8, Asa/Fuka Mushi Duel

Postby debunix » Nov 21st, '10, 01:04

Got it, thanks! I am so used to parsing parts of english words for green and latin roots, but hardly ever think to apply the same principles to Asian words. D'Oh!
debunix

Postby Chip » Nov 21st, '10, 02:54

rhondabee wrote:I think I like Sencha! :)

Ha, gotCha! :mrgreen:

Great perspectives and approaches to the reviews everyone! I dare say that sencha inspires!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby iannon » Nov 21st, '10, 03:19

Chip wrote:
rhondabee wrote:I think I like Sencha! :)

Ha, gotCha! :mrgreen:

Great perspectives and approaches to the reviews everyone! I dare say that sencha inspires!

It's inspired me to have another cup right now!
iannon

Postby puerhking » Nov 22nd, '10, 13:23

F1 Dens Yame Fukamushi

With so many intact needles it looks more like a chumushi and the flavor seems to be right between asa and fuka. This is the best tea I have tasted from Den's. Grassy and herbal with little sweetness. It doesn't have the bass notes I normally associate with fukas. Overall I like it quite a bit and would certainly consider buying it.
puerhking

Postby puerhking » Nov 23rd, '10, 12:53

F2 - Zencha Fuji Super Premium

Lots of marine flavor with herbal and grass following in suit. A little sweetness and umami show up in the third brew. I’ve had Fuji the Ultimate and did not care for it and this tastes quite a bit like it. The way the flavors come together just doesn’t do much for me. Certainly not a bad tea just not my thing.
puerhking

Postby TwoPynts » Nov 23rd, '10, 13:05

Chip wrote:...TwoPynts, did you try right clicking on the image>show image?

Just did and noted it was hosted at Photobucket. My work filters that site out so no luck viewing it while here.

Great reading all the tasting notes BTW, since I was not able to participate.
TwoPynts

Postby entropyembrace » Nov 23rd, '10, 15:58

Thank you Chip OTTI 7 and 8 have arrived safely in Canada! :mrgreen:

I will be trying one of the Asas once it´s had a chance to warm up to room temperature :)
entropyembrace

Postby greenleafblue » Nov 23rd, '10, 16:28

on first tasting of the Asamushis my ranking is [1st to last]
2) Hachiju-hachiya from Maiko > 3)Maruyama from Maiko > 1) Shin-ryoku from Den's > 4) Sencha Premier from Adagio > 5) "Togei"

first three are close; need to do the 2nd tasting to be sure
greenleafblue

Postby debunix » Nov 23rd, '10, 16:58

Today brewed up the sencha supreme from Adagio (A4), solo, in my small kyusu at work, and shared it with a colleague. It is sweet, mellow, just a hint of astringency in the 2nd infusion. I gave the first infusion to a colleague and forgot to save a sip to take notes on, but aside from that hint--just a hint--of astringency in the 2nd infusion, the 2nd-4th have been very sweet and vegetal, even a little floral, with the 5th starting to fade significantly. Doing this at work, I can give temps--160+/-5 degree water all the way through, 5 oz kyusu, about 5 grams of tea, and time was 45 seconds (kyusu not preheated), 20 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes.
debunix

Postby entropyembrace » Nov 23rd, '10, 18:32

Tried the Maruyama from Maiko (A3) today...following the recommended brewing parameters fairly closely. But I used the entire sample in a 360ml kyusu...I suppose I use a bit more leaf than I thought in my normal brewing since it didn´t look like the right amount until I emptied the sample bag.

4 infusions...impressions are very marine seaweed and minerals flavours and some nice sweetness not a lot of change in flavour from infusion to infusion.

I was a bit surprised how subtle the differences between Asa and Fuka are...it´s was nothing radically different...

I suppose both are sencha so they´re not really that different :lol:

Anyway, I really enjoyed it and I´m looking forward to trying the other samples! :mrgreen:
entropyembrace

Postby TubbyCow » Nov 23rd, '10, 21:33

entropyembrace wrote:Thank you Chip OTTI 7 and 8 have arrived safely in Canada! :mrgreen:

Not this part of Canada :cry:
TubbyCow

Postby David R. » Nov 24th, '10, 10:55

Togei (A5) this morning, using my "asa-first-contact" parameters :

3.7g/10cl in Shimizu Ken Sado clay kyusu (20cl)
65°C - 75 sec // 70°C - 10 sec // 75°C - 30 sec

Long dry leaves. Tastes grassier than the others I have tried (so far A1 and F1.) Good after taste with floral notes with a slight welcomed astringency to keep it going. Could have increased steeping times a bit. Nice though.

I know have a new kyusu on its way. A Banko. Hopefully it will be here within a week or so. I may hold on to my OTTI samples to do and side by side comparisons between Sado and Banko.
Attachments
IMG_1287a.JPG
IMG_1287a.JPG (35.61 KiB) Viewed 538 times
David R.

Postby puerhking » Nov 24th, '10, 13:39

F3 Zencha Fuga Super Premium

This has rounder more mellow flavors than the Fuji and I liked it better. Having said that...nothing stood out that differentiated it from many fukas I have tasted. Price wise when I compare it to O-Cha's offerings it just doesn't stand up to YM or SAE Midori. More on par with Chiran perhaps.

Would be a nice house sencha but why not buy YM or SAE Midori for about the same price?

I will say that it has produced 4 good infusions with no problem...and probably five but I am done for this morning.
puerhking

Postby entropyembrace » Nov 25th, '10, 14:53

Tried the Adagio Sencha Premier A4 last night....infusion was surprisingly a bright golden yellow more like I´d expect from a pan fired Chinese green.

Anyway it was simple but enjoyable...light and sweet with a touch of refreshing astringency through 3 infusions...with a bit of grassyness appearing in the 4th.

Trying A5 Togei now...grassy, a little bit of drying sensation from astringency....not getting much out of it :?
entropyembrace

Postby debunix » Nov 25th, '10, 17:47

6.4 grams of the Togei kobuse, water 152 degrees in the 5 oz kyusu

1st at 30 seconds
Grassy, vegetal, sweet, wonderfully rich and deep flavor

2nd at 155 degrees, about 10 seconds
Grassier, vegetal, some astringency present, rich, deep, a hint of briny but still light, trace if any umami

3rd at 160 degrees, 30 seconds
grassy, vegetal, deep, bit of briny, only light sweetness

4th 165 degrees, 50 seconds
grassy, vegetal, briny, deep, rich, some sweetness, not astringent or bitter

5th, 170 degrees, 75 degrees
grassy, briny, again, that sense of richness without the deep umami of some of the fuka senchas & gyokuros I've tried before, a mild sweetness, very nice, the higher leaf to water ratio makes this quite impressive
debunix

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions