Road block...

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Nov 23rd, '10, 01:21

Road block...

by auhckw » Nov 23rd, '10, 01:21

I was minding my own business driving, then I saw a road block. I was stopped by 2 young girls in nice outfit.

I wind down my windows, and one of them handed me...

:mrgreen:

Nov 24th, '10, 05:48

Re: Road block...

by skilfautdire » Nov 24th, '10, 05:48

Hmmm.. were they offering one can and magically you ended up with two ? :)

The language on the left one is interesting. If 'c' is assumed slavic pronounciation as in 'chhh' then it really looks like 'thé ('tea' in French but comes from some parts of China) peeeeccchh ice' which sounds like some English-based slang.

Nov 24th, '10, 13:55

by rabbit » Nov 24th, '10, 13:55

Something similar happened to me once with redbull... it was awesome!

Nov 24th, '10, 16:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Nov 24th, '10, 16:21

skilfautdire wrote:
The language on the left one is interesting.
The same can turned round to the other side
skilfautdire wrote:
If 'c' is assumed slavic pronounciation as in 'chhh' then it really looks like 'thé ('tea' in French but comes from some parts of China) peeeeccchh ice' which sounds like some English-based slang.
It is 'Malay'

used to be called 'bahasa melayu' now called 'bahasa malaysia'

http://www.bahasa-malaysia-simple-fun.com/

the 'c' is indeed pronounced 'ch'

not much French influence, mainly British, many of the words are pronounced the same way as british/english language words but the spelled the way that the sound is achieved with Malay letters.

'ais' = 'ice'

Teh [intoduced to Malaya by the British] is however pronounced 'tay'.

Ask for 'teh' and you get it hot with milk, often condensed milk. If you want it without milk - ask for 'teh o' - it will still be hot. If you want it cold ask for 'teh o ais' and with lemon /lime 'teh o ais limau'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iced_tea

Nov 26th, '10, 06:00

by skilfautdire » Nov 26th, '10, 06:00

Herb_Master wrote:
skilfautdire wrote:
The language on the left one is interesting.
The same can turned round to the other side
Now at this point in time I have three options to reply with:

a)

b) A torrent of words

c) Doh!

I think I'll simply choose a) :roll:
Herb_Master wrote: It is 'Malay' used to be called 'bahasa melayu' now called 'bahasa malaysia'

http://www.bahasa-malaysia-simple-fun.com/

the 'c' is indeed pronounced 'ch'

not much French influence, mainly British, many of the words are pronounced the same way as british/english language words but the spelled the way that the sound is achieved with Malay letters.

'ais' = 'ice'

Teh [intoduced to Malaya by the British] is however pronounced 'tay'.
I used the French equivalent, but it could have been the German 'Tee' also. My impression was that the sound of that word was ending in 'ay', which is the case. 'ais' is also familiar in pronounciation since it looks pretty much like 'Eis' in German.

Thanks for the information. It is certainly not a language I'd be exploring (.... only so many years in a lifetime) and I'm not saying that in any negative way. From the web page above though, it seems all similarities ends up quickly. This is not like Haitian créole for instance in which many words are borrowed, which could have been a vague impression from the writing on the can.
I think I'll again use a) here ! :)

Reminds me somehow in almost an unrelated way of Kryten when asked why the lights went out on the Red Dwarf spaceship: "Because there is nooo power".

+ Post Reply