Building a Yixing Collection for Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 17th, '10, 20:05

Re: Building a Yixing Collection for Oolong

by David R. » Nov 17th, '10, 20:05

That is amazing how much difference there is between tea lovers. That is great actually. So many different things to taste yet using the same leaves... :P

I have tried recently using very few leaves for much longer brews. Results are very interesting. Something like 3-4g for 12cl for 4 min for light and medium roasted oolongs for the first brew. Some teas perform really great like this, better than more "gong fu" brewing for me.

That is my advice was to turn to medium large pots rather than tiny ones. But ultimately, it depends on your taste.

Nov 18th, '10, 00:23

by Tead Off » Nov 18th, '10, 00:23

tingjunkie wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Packing the pot can be a nightmare with many teas as both the jolt and the bitterness will often be inflated.
Now who's being too "girlie?" :lol: I have several female friends who not only fill up their pots with Wuyi and high fire TGY, but they also crush up some leaf to fit more in too! Man up and put 9g of Classic Roast in a 40ml pot Tead Off! :P
Haha. You've got me there! My taste buds are still alive.

Nov 18th, '10, 09:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Nov 18th, '10, 09:08

Tead Off wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Packing the pot can be a nightmare with many teas as both the jolt and the bitterness will often be inflated.
Now who's being too "girlie?" :lol: I have several female friends who not only fill up their pots with Wuyi and high fire TGY, but they also crush up some leaf to fit more in too! Man up and put 9g of Classic Roast in a 40ml pot Tead Off! :P
Maybe they are just using better teas than you. :shock:

Nov 18th, '10, 12:09

by Tead Off » Nov 18th, '10, 12:09

brandon wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
Right.

Nov 18th, '10, 12:10

by edkrueger » Nov 18th, '10, 12:10

Tead Off wrote:
brandon wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
Right.
Probably.

Nov 22nd, '10, 16:33

by teaisme » Nov 22nd, '10, 16:33

Wow bunch of meanies :evil:
tingjunkie wrote: Ultimately, I think a pot has to be tested and paired with a tea based on the owner's own preferences.
+1
Yeah that magic formula for pairing a tea to a teapot without even touching it is just too complicated and iffy, with variables fluctuating too much from person to person, thing to thing

Nov 23rd, '10, 19:37

by bagua7 » Nov 23rd, '10, 19:37

This is an art. I don't recall "cha dao" being shaped by derivatives and integers. ;)

Nov 28th, '10, 17:14

by fracol » Nov 28th, '10, 17:14

Well no offence or anything, but im only 15 so their is no way I can buy all these teapots for a decent yixing collection. Its interesting info though. Just wish I could fund such an endevor :|

Nov 28th, '10, 19:30

by edkrueger » Nov 28th, '10, 19:30

mayayo wrote:This is an art. I don't recall "cha dao" being shaped by derivatives and integers. ;)
Every art has mathematical properties.

Nov 29th, '10, 01:17

by the_economist » Nov 29th, '10, 01:17

edkrueger wrote:
mayayo wrote:This is an art. I don't recall "cha dao" being shaped by derivatives and integers. ;)
Every art has mathematical properties.
hear hear!

Jan 9th, '11, 23:14

by Poohblah » Jan 9th, '11, 23:14

fracol wrote:Well no offence or anything, but im only 15 so their is no way I can buy all these teapots for a decent yixing collection. Its interesting info though. Just wish I could fund such an endevor :|
You have plenty of time to build your collection. The important thing is that you find a way to enjoy your teas. It is not too difficult or expensive to brew oolongs in an acceptable manner. Yixings are not required to enjoy tea.

Feb 27th, '11, 06:00

by Herb_Master » Feb 27th, '11, 06:00

auhckw wrote:Very informative thread :D
How is your collection growing :D

Did you take note of information from this and other Teachat threads, or base your purchases mainly on the advice and suggestions of the shops where you bought them?

Feb 27th, '11, 06:10

by auhckw » Feb 27th, '11, 06:10

Herb_Master wrote:
auhckw wrote:Very informative thread :D
How is your collection growing :D

Did you take note of information from this and other Teachat threads, or base your purchases mainly on the advice and suggestions of the shops where you bought them?
Yes, I have taken notes on all the information you guys gave.

Didn't purchase much teapots yet cause haven't really come across any that catches my eyes much. One of the shop I frequently visit has made some custom order and is going to bring in some time around May/June. Will wait till then to see...

Feb 27th, '11, 07:56

by David R. » Feb 27th, '11, 07:56

These days, I've been comparing the results of my pots the way it is shown in Hojo's video, which was also already explained by Brandon in his blog. It is really very interesting.

But what was even more interesting was to have a friend mix the cups for me to try to find out which cup came from which pot.

I mostly had difficulties admitting the best cup was not always coming from my dedicated teapot... But sometimes "best" is somewhat relative, "different" would be much more accurate.
Attachments
IMG_7603a.JPG
Here an attempt on a yan cha
IMG_7603a.JPG (30.39 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

Feb 27th, '11, 09:30

by Herb_Master » Feb 27th, '11, 09:30

David (and Brandon) I envy those of you with palates so fine that the differences are immediate and obvious.

I tried the Hojo water test in the shop with Hui in September and again with Natalie in January - my ability to detect the difference was marginal at best. So much so that when I met Hojo (having had a report from Natalie about me :D ) he dispensed with teaware testing altogether and started introducing me to tea straight away. It is a pre-requisite of Hojo that EVERY new customer must be given the water test before they are allowed to taste any teas.

However I can taste the difference between Yan Cha and Dan Cong brewed in Gaiwan and Yixing or Chao Zhou
AND
I can tell the difference in Dan Cong brewed with a high mineral bottled water or a sterile bottle water/filtered tap water- so I am not completely a lost cause! :lol:

+ Post Reply