OTTI 7 & 8, Asa/Fuka Mushi Duel

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 7 & 8, Asa/Fuka Mushi Duel

Postby nickE » Nov 29th, '10, 19:41

Maruyama from Maiko
1st steep: 160F 90s: Buttered vegetables with an excellent, soft aftertaste. Great balance of astringency & bitterness.

2nd steep: 165F 25s: Much of the same, but with an interesting spiciness in the background. Also a slight sourness at the end which adds to the complexity.

3rd steep: 175F 60s: Smoother and lots of veggie, good for a 3rd infusion.

4th steep: 185F 120s: Still interesting enough to merit brewing.
nickE

Postby guitar9876 » Nov 30th, '10, 02:05

3g Maruyama in my 60ml Banko Shiboridashi. A sencha with excellent balance. Wonderful sweet, grassy, buttery aftertaste. This and the Togei were among my fav. Kinda wishing I participated in the fuka... :?
guitar9876

Postby Stentor » Nov 30th, '10, 10:15

A2: Hachiju-hachiya, Maiko

The first thing that impresses about this tea is the look of the dry leaves. They are a very very dark green and are mostly thick in shape.

Brewing parameters:
3.8g, 4 oz water
1st, 65° C, 90 seconds
2nd, 70° C, 40 seconds
3rd, 73° C, 60 seconds
4th, 79° C, 120 seconds

I don‘t really know how to describe it, but I can say that I like it a lot. Brewed this way, it‘s thick and strong but not with an overly obtrusive taste.
It‘s not very sweet and in general, there is no one taste that takes a predominant role. That‘s also probably the reason I can‘t exactly describe the taste and why some of you say it is simple and lacking character/personality.

Each infusion carried on the taste nicely with a very gradual decline ending with a nice mild brew for the 5th infusion. The infusions didn‘t even look too different from one another. It may be the tea with the best resteeping qualities out of the whole bunch.

Like with the other asamushi, it makes me feel very relaxed and at the same time gives me the heightened awareness from the caffeine, which we have found to be more apparent in asamushi than in fukamushi. I like this a lot about asamushi and will make sure to have an asamushi open along with a fukamushi in the future so I can go back and forth depending on my mood or the occasion.

I think this is more of a tea to sit down and take some time with rather than to just have a cup sitting on your desk to sip from casually. A nice tea to have with company who aren‘t used to drinking green tea for sure.
...but LOL, I‘m not exactly describing the taste here, am I? :)

Stentor

Postby Chubseus » Nov 30th, '10, 12:15

Stentor wrote:A2: Hachiju-hachiya, Maiko
It‘s not very sweet and in general, there is no one taste that takes a predominant role. That‘s also probably the reason I can‘t exactly describe the taste and why some of you say it is simple and lacking character/personality.

I agree. Nothing smacked me in the face, but I thought the tea was very well balanced and pleasing. I also suspect that this tea could taste bland if sampled immediately after the stronger tasting teas in the lineup. I had this one first, which may explain my preference for it.

I liked the Sencha Premier and Maruyama very much as well, with Premier winning out for me in the later steeps (although, more practice brewing the Maruyama could eliminate this edge). I wasn’t a big fan of Togei, but it was my first kabusecha so I might just be unaccustomed to the style of tea.
Chubseus

Postby debunix » Nov 30th, '10, 14:08

Full infusion of A3=Maruyama from Maiko

5.4 grams in 5 oz kyusu, tap water

160 degrees, 46 second first infusion (lost count of what was supposed to be 30 seconds): sweet, vegetal richness but delicate, very very nice

160 degrees, 15 second 2nd infusion, started lovely sweet, but ended with some bitterness, but it was also drunk over several minutes, not as quickly as usual

170 degrees 45 seconds, sweet, vegetal, warm depth of flavor, but some increasing astringency

170 degrees, 1 minute, sweet, vegetal, deep, no astringency showing up this time

This one has a lot more staying power than the Hachiju-hachiya. Nice!
debunix

Postby Stentor » Nov 30th, '10, 14:25

debunix wrote:This one has a lot more staying power than the Hachiju-hachiya. Nice!

Did you think the Hachiju-hachiya didn't have much staying power?
Hmm. I though it resteeped exceptionally well.

Chubseus wrote:
Stentor wrote:A2: Hachiju-hachiya, Maiko

I agree. Nothing smacked me in the face, but I thought the tea was very well balanced and pleasing. I also suspect that this tea could taste bland if sampled immediately after the stronger tasting teas in the lineup. I had this one first, which may explain my preference for it.

Yeah, you're probably right.
That's why it's nice that the quantity of the samples is large enough to do at least 2 tastings. I've found my impression of some of the teas to change with the second tasting. I guess it can be due to what you had to eat before and things like that, although I've tried not to eat anything too spicy/tasty before sampling the teas.

For instance, I've had my second tasting of the Hatsumi today and it was much better than the first one. It's still not an outstanding fukamushi, but it's all right and I enjoyed it this morning (brewed it at 1:1 ratio and a little colder at 65/70/74/...° C which may help a lot with this one).
Stentor

Postby tortoise » Nov 30th, '10, 20:35

Favorite light-steamed selections:

1) Maruyama - Maiko
Bright, balanced and smooth with no astringency. Dramatic difference in second steeping which brought more kelp and even a bit of nuttiness. Much preferred this to its more expensive brother, Hachiju-hachija.
2) TIE - Sencha Premier, Adagio & Shin-Ryoku, Den's
Totally different teas both highly enjoyable. Sencha Premier, to me at least, had a nearly fukamushi flavor profile, but the leaves where clearly light-steamed. Shin-Ryoku had a great, lingering sweetness around the throat and a hint of marine. Easy going and pleasant.
4) Kabusecha - Togei (?)
Really nice kabusecha. Super thick, rubbery and dark leaves -- like steamed kale or something. I've had kabusecha on a couple occasions previously and I'm not the biggest fan. For folks who like it, this one was probably awesome. Many steeps.
5) Hachiju-Hachiya, Maiko
I didn't take any notes on this one and can't recall why I didn't like it as much as the others.

There wasn't a poor sample in the lot! 12 bucks well spent.
tortoise

Postby entropyembrace » Nov 30th, '10, 20:42

F1 Yame Fukamushi from Den's today

Found this one a bit light for fuka...infusion was cloudy yellow-green. Taste was sweet with a touch of sourness.

A bit surprised this one is Yutaka Midori....it´s quite different from the other YMs I´ve had....probably it´s because it was grown in Yame...
entropyembrace

Postby sebpassion » Dec 1st, '10, 11:00

tortoise wrote:5. F3: Fuga Super Premium, Zencha
I just didn't understand what this tea was going for. The flavors were too muddy; nothing really emerged to give the tea an identity. I used recommended parameters, so I'm fairly certain it wasn't a mistake. It did not taste nasty, far from it. Good quality. Just unremarkable to my palate.

i tried the the fuga this morning at work and i'don't like it.
the aroma isn't bad, but its way too light..
i expected more from a tea in this price-section..
sebpassion

Postby entropyembrace » Dec 1st, '10, 11:24

sebpassion wrote:
tortoise wrote:5. F3: Fuga Super Premium, Zencha
I just didn't understand what this tea was going for. The flavors were too muddy; nothing really emerged to give the tea an identity. I used recommended parameters, so I'm fairly certain it wasn't a mistake. It did not taste nasty, far from it. Good quality. Just unremarkable to my palate.

i tried the the fuga this morning at work and i'don't like it.

If you have some left try higher temp water 175º for the first infusion. I also always brewed with slightly longer times.

I was really impressed with Fuga SP but my brewing parameters were quite different from Chip´s recommendations which are a bit on the light side. I remember it being mild as in not much tendency to bitterness or astringency and lots of deep green fresh veggie flavour.

Also make sure your leaf to water ratio is sufficient....Chip has good recs for that.
entropyembrace

Postby debunix » Dec 1st, '10, 12:43

Finished a 'routine' morning infusion with the last of the Asa samples, the A1 Shin-ryoku from Den's.

A1 5.1 grams, 5 oz kyusu, with tap water, preheated before first infusion

160 degrees, about 30 seconds
sweet, peas, rich, a bit nutty

160 degrees, about 15 seconds
sweet, peas, asparagus, more of the nuttiness, but no actual sense of astringency

165 degrees, 30 seconds
nutty, sweet, asparagus, astringency picking up a little

175 degrees, 45 seconds
still vegetal, not particularly sweet, peas and asparagus, walnuts and almonds, but only the last sip had a touch of bitterness

185 degrees, 1 minute
fading to sweet water, still bit of vegetal/peas, nuttiness gone, no bitterness

This was a lovely, mellow, sweet and nutty tea. Need to review my notes to rank these....next post.
debunix

Postby Stentor » Dec 1st, '10, 12:45

sebpassion wrote:i tried the the fuga this morning at work and i'don't like it.

Try the Fuji. You will not be disappointed.
Stentor

Postby entropyembrace » Dec 2nd, '10, 16:33

A1 Shin-ryoku from Den's

Nice bright green infusion...sweet marine aroma...drying astringency and light vegetal sweetness...I really like this one! :mrgreen:
entropyembrace

Postby nickE » Dec 2nd, '10, 20:02

Den's Yame

1st steep: 160F 40s. Super fresh, green, veggie scents. Mmmm. Extreme umami is really making my mouth water. Nice oily mouthfeel and quite rich for such a light taste.

2nd steep: 165F 25s. Deeper flavor now with a hint of bitterness. The first infusion was more elegant while this is a big rougher. Both are nice, though.

3rd steep: 175F 60s. Pretty subdued, but decent veggie notes still coming through along with the standard sweet fukamushi taste.

I'm a big fan of this fuka. I've bought it before and really enjoyed it. It is very unique for a YM; it's definitely more subdued than is usual (especially compared to something like O-cha's YM Supreme).
nickE

Postby entropyembrace » Dec 4th, '10, 19:01

Fuji SP last night.... sweet and marine/seaweed

Miyabi today.... sweet and sour veggies with a bit of astringency :)

both are very nice and have the kind of things I look for in sencha :mrgreen:
entropyembrace

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions