Autumn Flush Darjeeling


Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby murrius » Nov 30th, '10, 20:55

I'm curious if anyone has tried the autumn flush darjeelings and, if so, what your thoughts are. I'm just about to run out of my first flush darjeelings and will be ordering soon.
User avatar
murrius
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Aug 15th, '
Location: British Columbia Canada

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby mosshorn » Nov 30th, '10, 22:16

I just got some in the mail today, it's actually the only one I haven't tried. I'll keep you updated when I try some!
User avatar
mosshorn
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Oct 11th, '

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby Tead Off » Nov 30th, '10, 23:31

murrius wrote:I'm curious if anyone has tried the autumn flush darjeelings and, if so, what your thoughts are. I'm just about to run out of my first flush darjeelings and will be ordering soon.

In Darjeeling, I was reminded many times that 1st flush is often better several months after harvest. I am drinking many FF now and enjoying a lot. For me, Autumnal cannot come close to FF.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby shah82 » Nov 30th, '10, 23:38

Autumnal flush really should be consumed as you would a puerh or assam. They don't have the high notes of a FF and they don't have the smoothness of a second flush. They just have lots of low notes that can be interesting or boring. I do like autumnals better than FF darjeelings, actually--on a casual basis.
shah82
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby Tead Off » Dec 1st, '10, 05:19

shah82 wrote:Autumnal flush really should be consumed as you would a puerh or assam. They don't have the high notes of a FF and they don't have the smoothness of a second flush. They just have lots of low notes that can be interesting or boring. I do like autumnals better than FF darjeelings, actually--on a casual basis.

I take it that you don't like Darjeelings all that much if you prefer Autumnal to FF. Of course, your own preference is important, but, for me and many others, the FF contains the essence of what Darjeelings are all about as well as some of the best whole leaf teas I've seen from this region.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby murrius » Dec 2nd, '10, 21:51

mosshorn wrote:I just got some in the mail today, it's actually the only one I haven't tried. I'll keep you updated when I try some!


I will look forward to your review!
User avatar
murrius
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Aug 15th, '
Location: British Columbia Canada

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby shah82 » Dec 3rd, '10, 01:37

I said, on a casual basis.

A Thurbo autumnal flush is quite tasty.

However, yes, if I wanted a special tea moment, then I'd want a first or second flush. I am, however, not down on super-green darjeelings. Some green to have a nice edge on, sure, but I consider Chinese and Taiwan gaoshan oolongs to be quite the superior option, if I want green, which I typically don't.

I most certainly have *loved* a Sungma first flush, and I definitely enjoyed the Gopaldhara oolong.
shah82
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby yshuto » Dec 13th, '10, 15:38

It depends on your preference, and I tend to like both the First and Second flush, but I tend to stay away from the Monsoon and Autumn flush.

I had the first flush:
Castleton, Margaret's Hope, and Bloomfield. They were all excellent. Light in color, with the delicate and complex taste of the first flush

For the second flush:
Abootia, Happy Valley, Puttabong, and the Namring Upper. I love the more robust taste of the second flush teas. My favorite among the second flush is Namring Upper. They can be all purchased at the Mariage Website (kind of expensive).

As for the Monsoon and Autumn flush, there are none that I would recommend.
yshuto
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Dec 11th, '

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby Sirwill » Dec 13th, '10, 22:12

I seem to be a lone wolf...I enjoy the Autumnal flush Darjeelings the most out of any other flush!

As for what are good, it depends on the year. Anything from Makaibari is always delightful. Also Castleton is a good estate!
Sirwill
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Oct 12th, '

Re: Autumn Flush Darjeeling

Postby puttabong » Dec 15th, '10, 16:59

Sirwill wrote:I seem to be a lone wolf...I enjoy the Autumnal flush Darjeelings the most out of any other flush!

As for what are good, it depends on the year. Anything from Makaibari is always delightful. Also Castleton is a good estate!


I had some really nice third flush last year. Margaret's Hope and Guranse Tips (Nepal, just across the border...). Excellent nice teas. Smooth and light. Hope I can get some this year too.

--
Edward
puttabong
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sep 16th, '


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation