Beginnners vs. experts

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 1st, '10, 18:19

Beginnners vs. experts

by Tobias » Dec 1st, '10, 18:19

Who do you think appreciates tea the most?

1, A long time tea drinker who drinks expensive high quality tea, mostly just one different kind of tea like aged pu-erh or sencha.

2, A beginner who just recently discovered loose leaf tea and is trying out many different kinds of tea.

Dec 1st, '10, 18:55

Re: Beginnners vs. experts

by entropyembrace » Dec 1st, '10, 18:55

Tobias wrote:Who do you think appreciates tea the most?

1, A long time tea drinker who drinks expensive high quality tea, mostly just one different kind of tea like aged pu-erh or sencha.

2, A beginner who just recently discovered loose leaf tea and is trying out many different kinds of tea.
I think in some ways the beginner because they can find the good in teas that the long time drinker would ignore or find bland...

and in other ways the long time drinker because they can better pick up subtle nuances of higher grade teas that the beginner would miss or gloss over.

but also that´s a bit of a generalization.

Dec 1st, '10, 19:50

by AdamMY » Dec 1st, '10, 19:50

entropyembrace wrote:
I think in some ways the beginner because they can find the good in teas that the long time drinker would ignore or find bland...

and in other ways the long time drinker because they can better pick up subtle nuances of higher grade teas that the beginner would miss or gloss over.

but also that´s a bit of a generalization.
While I agree with that, at the same time the long time drinker is less likely to mess up the brew, and more aptly adjust for subsequent infusions based on the one they are currently drinking. So while a person new to tea may be experiencing most everything with a fresh view and may therefore be awestruck by things that long time drinkers find more commonplace, I feel the long time tea drinker can likely brew to their tastes more consistently.

Dec 2nd, '10, 13:41

by alan logan » Dec 2nd, '10, 13:41

None if they do not have aptitude for appreciation and senses. references also are important but they can be developped.

both nearly equally if they have capacities and senses.

taste/tea education is actually a factor, but a paradoxical one. it all depends on how you are "educated"...

experience is a good thing if it is "experience of being a good taster". A taster with 20 years' experience built on poor tasting will be a bad taster, whatever experienced and whatever high priced teas he may have bought. Somebody can be loaded with dough and buy the most expensive things... and still have poor taste. Some people do eat and drink not very expensive but have fine senses and wonderful analysis.

On the other hand, you don't need to be a Camille Claudel or a W. Mozart of tea to find drinking pleasure. Drinking pleasure is an irrefragable experience. and isn't it what matters after all ? I mean, what would you care if you were the most gifted taster in the galaxy but did not encounter this thing, pleasure ?

Dec 2nd, '10, 15:07

by TwoPynts » Dec 2nd, '10, 15:07

I would have to agree with the previous posters. I only hope I can remain unjaded enough to enjoy the so called "simple teas" yet experienced enough to make the most of what I have.
:mrgreen:

Dec 2nd, '10, 15:34

by wyardley » Dec 2nd, '10, 15:34

In my experience, I'll tend to get a few "a-hah" moments (whether with tea, or with music, wine or anything else), and everything else is kind of trying to get to a place to experience another of those moments.

I think anyone who's had a really new tea experience for the first time should savor that experience, because while you might have a tea that's as good (or even much better) in the future, you probably won't ever be able to experience it in quite the same way. On the other hand, with experience and practice comes a different kind of appreciation.

Dec 2nd, '10, 15:40

by tortoise » Dec 2nd, '10, 15:40

I think this is a bit of a loaded question. Neither/both would be my answer.
The person who appreciates tea the most is the person who is good at appreciating.

Dec 2nd, '10, 18:21

by beecrofter » Dec 2nd, '10, 18:21

The expert who approaches tea with a beginners mind has the clear advantage.

Dec 2nd, '10, 18:42

by exquisite » Dec 2nd, '10, 18:42

I am very interested in acquiring an "expert" certification in tea-tasting. Can someone please instruct me how and where could I get one? :lol:

Dec 2nd, '10, 18:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 2nd, '10, 18:50

exquisite wrote:I am very interested in acquiring an "expert" certification in tea-tasting. Can someone please instruct me how and where could I get one? :lol:
http://www.WizardofOzonlinecertificationprograms.com

I believe he offers an honorary PhTea.

Dec 2nd, '10, 18:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Dec 2nd, '10, 18:54

Just typed a post then deleted it.

I have no idea

Dec 2nd, '10, 20:16
Vendor Member

by IPT » Dec 2nd, '10, 20:16

I think most long time drinkers drink a variety of tea. I'm always discovering new teas. There are thousands of varieties in China alone, so I think I'll be finding new experiences for years to come. I think I get as excited today as much as I did 20 years ago.

So, I'd have to say the long time tea drinker. I think beginners are so busy worrying about brewing times and temperatures and the fear of buying something fake, or of poor quality that they don't appreciate the tea as much as they could.

Dec 2nd, '10, 21:57
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Dec 2nd, '10, 21:57

Yeah, just as IPT said, if one wants, one can be a beginner of a new tea on any day, because there are so many teas :D

Some most expert type of people I know grew up in this way - they were not allowed to eat any spicy food, no perfume, nothing to eat or apply on themselves with strong smell. At a young age, they drank the same tea of the same low grade day after day before getting the taste of another tea or a higher grade. It's said that most people can only distinguish "better" and "not as good" tea by tasting, but these experts can precisely point out various aspects of good tastes and bad tastes of a tea and distinguish two teas of very similar grades.

Somehow all their experience in gaining expertise sounds no fun and too much work for me :oops: But very possibly it's because I am not at their level to enjoy their fun. There is no way to compare. If you think you are having the most fun, then you are. :wink:

Dec 3rd, '10, 13:57

by Cyphre » Dec 3rd, '10, 13:57

I buy small samplers all the time, even of things I have already tried. I think that besides harvest qualities, your body and it's tastes change over time. So what was once a tea you disliked, could become your favorite.

Dec 4th, '10, 06:38

by skilfautdire » Dec 4th, '10, 06:38

To paraphrase somewhat Shunryu Suzuki:

"An expert with a beginner's mind"

+ Post Reply