Temperamental Darjeeling

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 7th, '10, 17:44

Temperamental Darjeeling

by Owlie » Dec 7th, '10, 17:44

I've never gotten first-flush Darjeeling to work for me. I feel like I look at it the wrong way, it goes bitter. Granted, I've only tried the Specialtea's Yashodhara FTGFOP-1, and some of my boyfriend's stuff from Teavana. HE gets it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Water at around 195, two teaspoons (plus a little bit) of tea for a twelve-ounce mug. Steeping time of 2:30-2:40.

I really want to like the stuff--in the jar, it smells fantastic. Should I tweak my steeping technique, try another first-flush, or move on to a second flush (because it's apparently closer to what I expect from a black tea)? Or just persuade my boyfriend to keep making me tea? :lol:

Dec 7th, '10, 22:07

Re: Temperamental Darjeeling

by Tead Off » Dec 7th, '10, 22:07

Owlie wrote:I've never gotten first-flush Darjeeling to work for me. I feel like I look at it the wrong way, it goes bitter. Granted, I've only tried the Specialtea's Yashodhara FTGFOP-1, and some of my boyfriend's stuff from Teavana. HE gets it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Water at around 195, two teaspoons (plus a little bit) of tea for a twelve-ounce mug. Steeping time of 2:30-2:40.

I really want to like the stuff--in the jar, it smells fantastic. Should I tweak my steeping technique, try another first-flush, or move on to a second flush (because it's apparently closer to what I expect from a black tea)? Or just persuade my boyfriend to keep making me tea? :lol:
What do you use to brew the tea in? If I am making a large cup of tea, I usually use 2 teaspoons and brew 3-5 minutes depending on the tea. Maybe you should half the amount you use and then go from there.

Dec 8th, '10, 10:15

by Owlie » Dec 8th, '10, 10:15

Tead Off wrote: What do you use to brew the tea in? If I am making a large cup of tea, I usually use 2 teaspoons and brew 3-5 minutes depending on the tea. Maybe you should half the amount you use and then go from there.
Either loose in an English-style tea pot or in a tea ball. The quantity of leaf is what's on the package. I'll try it this afternoon with less tea and report back.

Dec 8th, '10, 11:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Dec 8th, '10, 11:38

Tea ball = evil

Let your leaves be free

Dec 8th, '10, 12:08

by Tead Off » Dec 8th, '10, 12:08

Victoria wrote:Tea ball = evil

Let your leaves be free
Some people are into kink. :wink:

Dec 8th, '10, 12:56

by entropyembrace » Dec 8th, '10, 12:56

Owlie wrote:I've never gotten first-flush Darjeeling to work for me. I feel like I look at it the wrong way, it goes bitter. Granted, I've only tried the Specialtea's Yashodhara FTGFOP-1, and some of my boyfriend's stuff from Teavana. HE gets it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

You boyfriend is nailing it...get him to make it for you and watch how he does it :D

Dec 29th, '10, 02:24

by sneakers » Dec 29th, '10, 02:24

Speaking of Second Flush, is it less astringent and green-tasting than First Flush? My first encounter with Makaibari Darjeeling was unpleasant.

Dec 29th, '10, 02:47

by Victoria » Dec 29th, '10, 02:47

sneakers wrote:Speaking of Second Flush, is it less astringent and green-tasting than First Flush? My first encounter with Makaibari Darjeeling was unpleasant.
That is correct.

Dec 29th, '10, 04:54

by Tead Off » Dec 29th, '10, 04:54

sneakers wrote:Speaking of Second Flush, is it less astringent and green-tasting than First Flush? My first encounter with Makaibari Darjeeling was unpleasant.
Makaibari is usually a smooth tea. Has to be the way you are brewing. The standard in Darjeeling is 1tsp to 8oz of off the boil water for 4-5 minutes. You can try this and then adjust from there, either more leaf, less time, more time, etc. I'm sure you'll get it.

Mar 2nd, '11, 21:12

by verus » Mar 2nd, '11, 21:12

Yes Darjeeling FF can be veyr difficult to get right. And what's right for one person may be terrible for the other. I threw away a pack of FF in frustration once, but later I managed to brew it in a way that made me fall in love with the tea.

You could also try a lower temperature. Some FF can be very green, and get bitter quickly at a high temperature. If it's still bitter, try shorter infusions. I mostly try to use a bit more leaf than is "officially" recommended, and shorter infusions.

Mar 3rd, '11, 18:48

by edkrueger » Mar 3rd, '11, 18:48

Another option is get some better tea. Many people seem to think of Darjeeling as the pinnacle of Indian tea, but unless you like bitter hay tastes you should go elsewhere, like Assam.

Mar 3rd, '11, 19:49

by Chip » Mar 3rd, '11, 19:49

edkrueger wrote:Another option is get some better tea. Many people seem to think of Darjeeling as the pinnacle of Indian tea, but unless you like bitter hay tastes you should go elsewhere, like Assam.
:?: Bitter hay taste? Darjeeling? Really? What have I been drinking then? :lol:

Pinnicle, eh, too subjective.

For many, it is the most elegant of Indian teas. Floral, fruity, spicy ... beautiful. I agree. If green tea had never been never invented, I would be drinking LOTS of Darjeeling.

:mrgreen:

Mar 4th, '11, 05:00
Vendor Member

by honza » Mar 4th, '11, 05:00

Some trouble in Darjeeling - "Darjeling under pressure" http://blog.darjeeling.cz/2011/02/24/da ... od-tlakem/ ... :(

Mar 4th, '11, 13:33

by Tead Off » Mar 4th, '11, 13:33

Chip wrote:
edkrueger wrote:Another option is get some better tea. Many people seem to think of Darjeeling as the pinnacle of Indian tea, but unless you like bitter hay tastes you should go elsewhere, like Assam.
I'll second that. Just got back from India again where I stopped by a very good tea shop in New Delhi and sampled some high mountain Nilgiri. Delicate, but lighter than Darjeelings. Not bad.

I'm not sure one could or should compare Assams to Darjeelings. One may prefer one over the other but Darjeelings are like royaltea.

Mar 4th, '11, 13:56

by Chip » Mar 4th, '11, 13:56

Tead Off wrote:
Chip wrote:
I'll second that. Just got back from India again where I stopped by a very good tea shop in New Delhi and sampled some high mountain Nilgiri. Delicate, but lighter than Darjeelings. Not bad.

I'm not sure one could or should compare Assams to Darjeelings. One may prefer one over the other but Darjeelings are like royaltea.
Yeah, Assam and Darjeeling are like man and woman, one is from Mars and the other from Venus.

I love Darjeeling, but have never been able to enjoy Assam ... and I have tried with great earnest.

Sooo ... like what Indian tea you drink, drink what Indian tea you like. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply