Mon/Tues TeaDay 12/20-21/10 Humble tea accoutrement/teaware?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you have a humble accoutrement, accessory, teaware item that over time has developed a high value in terms of enhanced enjoyment it creates despite its inexpensive cost? Please share.

Absolutely yes
47%
I believe yes
11%
Maybe
11%
I think not
11%
Definitely not
11%
Other
11%

Total votes: 19

Dec 20th, '10, 00:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Mon/Tues TeaDay 12/20-21/10 Humble tea accoutrement/teaware?

by Chip » Dec 20th, '10, 00:46

Tis Monday. A new TeaDay to come and share what is in your cup throughout the day!

This past weekend we discussed being a writer versus being a reader, etc. You can still vote and discuss last weekend's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you have a humble accoutrement, accessory, teaware item that over time has developed a high value in terms of enhanced enjoyment it creates despite its inexpensive cost? Please share.

I am looking forward to sharing this humble TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Due to the holidays here and resulting slower traffic, Monday's TeaDay has been extended into Tuesday!

Dec 20th, '10, 09:13

Re: Monday TeaDay 12/20/10 Humble tea accoutrement/teaware?

by brlarson » Dec 20th, '10, 09:13

I voted `other' but my real response is `not yet'. I think it is inevitable that I'll acquire such things over time, but I'm not yet that far along on my Tea Journey.

Finishing the last of a bag of Bei Dou No 1 from Hou de with breakfast this morning.

Dec 20th, '10, 09:34

by Chip » Dec 20th, '10, 09:34

I voted absolutely yes!

Back in the day when I depended on local vendors and had to improv quite a bit, I picked up a 250 ml glass creamer (I think), thick glass. It had (has) a much more narrow diameter/opening/neck than a "fair cup" which I did not even know existed at the time.

I would pour the steep into the pitcher virtually every session, every steep.

What I discovered about the narrow neck of this thing, it forced the aromatic vapors to concentrate, and ever since, I always smell the aroma first, then pour, and continue to smell the aroma.

I found out much later, that this works much better than fair cups I picked up since. And the thick walls/narrow neck keeps the tea warm longer.

And the cost ... $1.99 plus tax ... value, priceless. Not to mention I have poured tea into this literally over 50,000 times (quick calculation). Unbelievable how much use such an inexpensive item has also enhanced my personal tea experience from day one.

It humbly sits upon the tea tray amongst teawares costing 50 - 100 X more.

Picture to follow ...

Dec 20th, '10, 11:09

by tortoise » Dec 20th, '10, 11:09

Maybe. My wife got a nice set of measuring cups from a boutique that are little decorated bowls with a small lip for pouring. They don't have measurements on the side. They are opaque, hand-painted and each one corresponds to half cup, cup, etc. The smallest one sits on top of my scale and I use it to weigh tea, then dump into warmed kyusu. It's very cheerful. Please don't hold your breath for a photo.

Yame Gyo from O-C this morning. I really like Gyo in the morning...

Dec 20th, '10, 12:27
Vendor Member

by IPT » Dec 20th, '10, 12:27

I have two pieces that are absolutely worthless, but I will not brew tea without them.
One is a little tray. You can see it in most of my photos. Originally it was used to hold an ink stone for grinding ink. I was in a village and was warming myself near a fire when they grabbed it from the wood pile and threw it into the fire. I grabbed it out and asked to have it. It's not fancy, in fact it's pretty rustic, but I just love it.
The other is a little marble pebble that my daughter gave to me. When she comes back from playing outside, she always comes back with a twig, flower, straw, or rock and gives it to me. This little pebble is stream polished and has a bunch of holes in it. I have a lot of tea pets and change them frequently, but this little rock is always a part of my tea sessions.

Dec 20th, '10, 17:27

by Chip » Dec 20th, '10, 17:27

Seems the holidays are affecting traffic on TeaChat. :cry:

The overachieving pitcher ... always in the background and out of the limelight, but Pyrit sees the best supporting actor!

Interesting TD began with Yutaka Midori ... with the pitcher.

And currently a 2005 Menghai Sheng that I know little else about ... took me hours to remember I got it as a free sample from TeaSpring 3-4 years ago. Today it is rocking!

Dec 20th, '10, 17:39

by nickE » Dec 20th, '10, 17:39

Nice shot Chip! Vibrant green YM! :shock:

The only thing I can think of is my tea towel, which probably cost $1.99 or something. It's very absorbant and I use it during almost every session.

Started the day with TGY 2nd grade from the OTTI, great stuff!

Drinking coffee now with the family.

Dec 20th, '10, 17:44

by AdamMY » Dec 20th, '10, 17:44

I was trying to figure out what gets used in just about every tea session that was low priced but makes a huge difference. It took me to realize that just about every tea session I use one of the tea towels that have come with a Mago order. Just to add a little flare and have a towel to catch drips than have water pooling on the table.

Dec 20th, '10, 19:55

by JBaymore » Dec 20th, '10, 19:55

I have to say "not". Objects get swithced around and nothing is a constant for me. I have a lot of teawares, both those I have made and those made by others. I have some true "Mingei" type objects...... but they are not used all the time.

best,

...........john

Dec 21st, '10, 00:16

by Skippyandjif » Dec 21st, '10, 00:16

This pretty much applies to all of my teaware! :lol: I've only gotten one of my cups new, and that was in Chinatown so it was still really inexpensive. All the others were purchased at thrift shops, but they've been with me through so much stuff that there are a lot of memories attached to them.

Rose congou this morning and afternoon; iced green tea after dinner (and yes, it is very cold here, so I have no idea what I was thinking 8) ); just finished a chamomile tisane.

Dec 21st, '10, 00:35

by Chip » Dec 21st, '10, 00:35

Finished the TD with TGY from Chinese Tea Culture, AKA IPT.

And currently back the the 2005 Menghai Sheng with the Mrs.

Yeah, a very different TD.

Dec 21st, '10, 00:41

Re: Mon/Tues TeaDay 12/20-21/10 Humble tea accoutrement/teaware?

by Chip » Dec 21st, '10, 00:41

Due to the holidays here and resulting slower traffic, Monday's TeaDay has been extended into Tuesday!

So, please share what is in your cup, discuss the "humble" topic or discuss whatever!

Dec 21st, '10, 04:33

by Trey Winston » Dec 21st, '10, 04:33

All my accoutrements are humble! If I were to point one out, it would be the French c*ffee press I use as a teapot sometimes. It gives sterling service. Which is interesting, since I don't have a sterling tea service. A man can dream, though. A man can dream.

Having some oolong today.

Dec 21st, '10, 11:12

by hopeofdawn » Dec 21st, '10, 11:12

Today is a coconut-toasted pouchong oolong from the Perennial tea house--the smell, as always, is heavenly.

As for humble teaware--I'd have to say that my Liquid Solutions tea tumbler is probably the most essential piece of teaware I have. It isn't pretty or sexy (or expensive), but I use it all day, every day at work (I work with/around computers, where a teapot or even an open mug is not possible).

It's also the only travel mug I've found with this kind of design, with a handled brewing basket in the top--I can pour my hot water over the leaves, let them steep, and then yank it out whenever my tea is ready. Which gives me the best of both worlds, IMHO--loose leaf tea, multiple infusions, and convenience! :)

Dec 21st, '10, 12:27

by Chip » Dec 21st, '10, 12:27

This pitcher is clunky by some standards, rather thick walls. However there is a benefit, typical 3 ounce Asian porcelain cups sit on top acting like a lid as I walked around. I also take this on the road, make the tea, pop a cup on top, head out the door, tea to go!

Began the TD with Yutaka Midori with the Mrs. Then headed out with the pitcher with the cup on top. :mrgreen:

Amazing this pitcher has literally lasted over 50,000 steeps (did the math).