Brewing Recommendations

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 21st, '10, 15:50

Brewing Recommendations

by Qoppa » Dec 21st, '10, 15:50

Hey all,
I'm new to tea, and I only have a single teapot. It's a 24oz western-style pot with an infuser basket with 0.3mm holes in it. Now, since I'm new to tea, I am trying a whole bunch of different types to try and pinpoint exactly what kind of tea I like.

My question is: how can I get the most out of my teapot? I generally use it to brew up 8oz at a time, and I don't use the basket and just pour through a strainer at the end. For black tea, it seems pretty hard to screw up the brewing, and so far I think I've been pretty successful. What about brewing more delicate green teas or oolongs in my pot? I imagine these teas will require a bit more care to get correct, given that I don't have 'the correct pot'. Also, can you get multiple infusions out of tea in a larger pot like what I have?

Dec 21st, '10, 18:30

Re: Brewing Recommendations

by iannon » Dec 21st, '10, 18:30

Qoppa wrote:Hey all,
I'm new to tea, and I only have a single teapot. It's a 24oz western-style pot with an infuser basket with 0.3mm holes in it. Now, since I'm new to tea, I am trying a whole bunch of different types to try and pinpoint exactly what kind of tea I like.

My question is: how can I get the most out of my teapot? I generally use it to brew up 8oz at a time, and I don't use the basket and just pour through a strainer at the end. For black tea, it seems pretty hard to screw up the brewing, and so far I think I've been pretty successful. What about brewing more delicate green teas or oolongs in my pot? I imagine these teas will require a bit more care to get correct, given that I don't have 'the correct pot'. Also, can you get multiple infusions out of tea in a larger pot like what I have?
Hello and welcome to the world of loose leaf tea!
honestly you should be able to brew whatever you want with that setup..it just takes a bit more care with deeper steamed teas and such.
as far as multiple steeps as long as your leaf to water ratio is good then you should be fine. some of it probably depends on the shape of your pot..if you are going to brew 6 oz of sencha then it may be more problematic.
The more delicate greens are exactly that.. you have to watch water temps and time..you cant just throw boiling water in there like you can with most black teas. theres a ton of discusssion on the forum on a slew of different greens and parameters for them.

+ Post Reply