A place to buy Gue Fei / Concubine Tea

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 26th, '10, 12:33

A place to buy Gue Fei / Concubine Tea

by eugene_b » Dec 26th, '10, 12:33

Hi!

I've recently tasted an awesome tea in a local tea house, it is called Gue Fei. Later I did lots of googling and it's other name appears to be Concubine Tea. My local vendor sells it for 35 usd per 75 g (2.65 oz). I think this might be a little overpriced so I am trying to find a place where it is sold online. I've checked several major shops without any luck. Then I googled and found it at Upton teas only
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/item.asp?itemID=TL60
but so far I am not very comfortable with buying from Upton teas (I am still not sure whether they are a serious vendor). Not to mention that they list this tea as being from Thailand while it appears to be an unique Taiwanese tea.
I've also found this
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Premium-Gui-Fei- ... 0273027931
but I never heard of this seller and will now be googling in order to dig up some info about them.

Do you know any other place where it is sold online? Also, chances are that Gue Fei is some kind of unpopular alternative name and may be this tea is mainly sold under different name. At least that would explain why I can't find it at major vendors.
Last edited by eugene_b on Jan 27th, '11, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 26th, '10, 12:42

Re: A place to buy Gue Fei / Concubine Tea

by edkrueger » Dec 26th, '10, 12:42

Here are some:
http://www.zhitea.com/oolong-tea/organi ... e-tea.html
http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... -2009.html

You might also want to look into Bai Hao and Hong Shui. I feel like Gui Fei is something of a halfway point between them.

Dec 26th, '10, 13:36

by mr. Less » Dec 26th, '10, 13:36

i think there is a wide variety in gui fei,like ed said , some are more like a bai hao, some maybe more like a hong shui(although i never had one of those), and some even resembles dancong oolong

Teamasters has one gui fei, but its more like a bai hao , and a little difficult to brew, but if you hit it right its delicious

teafromtaiwan sells one , but its called dong ding min xiang , its a yummy one

some other vendors that carry gui fei are very overpriced in my opinion, but i havent ordered them yet , so i dont know what they taste like

Its not easy to find a really good one, i only had one and it came from teamasters, i think 2009
it was sweet honey , with the fruity flavors of a dancong(lychee), and some rose smells
never had one like that again

may the search continue :D

Dec 26th, '10, 13:56

by wyardley » Dec 26th, '10, 13:56

Josh @ J-Tea in OR has one, which I think is pretty good
http://jteainternational.com/tea-shop/formosa-oolong/

I have also had and liked Stéphane's.

Dec 27th, '10, 01:11

by bagua7 » Dec 27th, '10, 01:11

mr. Less wrote:Its not easy to find a really good one, i only had one and it came from teamasters, i think 2009
it was sweet honey , with the fruity flavors of a dancong(lychee), and some rose smells
never had one like that again

may the search continue :D
Taiwan is a subtropical volcanic island; hence it makes the weather very changeable and hard to predict from year to year. You might no experience that taste ever again unless the same weather pattern is repeated again in 2069.

Dec 27th, '10, 09:09

by eugene_b » Dec 27th, '10, 09:09

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Also thanks for suggesting similar teas. I was aware about oriental beauty tea and I am going to check it soon however I was not aware about that other tea. I'll try it too, thanks!

Dec 27th, '10, 12:42

by edkrueger » Dec 27th, '10, 12:42

Oh, one thing. Do NOT place an order on J-tea's website. It is not updated very often. I placed an order and I got some random teas of the same value. You should send an email instead.

Dec 27th, '10, 12:47

by eugene_b » Dec 27th, '10, 12:47

Got it, thanks! :)

Dec 27th, '10, 13:32

by mr. Less » Dec 27th, '10, 13:32

say ,which gui fei would you guys recommend from j tea, they seem to have alot

Dec 27th, '10, 16:06

by edkrueger » Dec 27th, '10, 16:06

Well, I have the Jin Xuan Gui Fei. Its one of the best Jin Xuan I have had –which is to say it isn't great.

Dec 28th, '10, 18:12

by Firebug Pottery » Dec 28th, '10, 18:12

I also suggest Jtea here in Eugene, I will be enjoying some of his concubine tea in minutes, quite good. Josh has a wide variety, so an email would definitely allow him to give you the possible options currently available to you.

Jayme

Jan 27th, '11, 07:37

by eugene_b » Jan 27th, '11, 07:37

Well, just for record: Gui Fei Mei Ren Jin Xuan from J-tea international didn't work for me. Basically it's nothing like the Gue Fei I had at my local store, the tastes are beyond comparison. So the search goes on, I am going to try either teamasters or zhitea now.

Feb 5th, '11, 10:02

by silversun » Feb 5th, '11, 10:02

http://www.zhitea.com/oolong-tea/organi ... e-tea.html

This one is REALLY REALLY good!!! (I mean super super awesome)
It's a bit expensive, so maybe you'd want to order the sample pack first.

Upton is pretty serious but they seem to be more quantity over quality. I have had some really good teas from them though. If they're listing a traditionally taiwanese tea under thailand, it's probably because it's a reproduction.

Feb 18th, '11, 09:24

by eugene_b » Feb 18th, '11, 09:24

I think I'll stick with Teamasters :)
I've just received teas from them and Gue Fei is great. It's still slightly different from the other Gue Fei I had from my local vendor but I suspect that they are of different seasons. I am looking forward to check teamater's spring version of this tea!

Also I liked the Oriental Beauty from J-tea, it's quite good IMHO.

+ Post Reply