Tuesday TeaDay 12/28/10 "sweet spots"

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Finding the "sweet spot." Inspired by new member Garrettmc. Would you rather find your teas' sweet spot, or would you rather someone share their sweet spot for particular teas? Please share.

Find my own sweet spots on my own
6%
Generally find my own sweet spots
6%
A little bit of each I think
69%
Generally would prefer someone more experienced with a tea to share how to find the sweet spots
6%
Always ask for advice on finding the sweet spots, why reinvent the wheel
13%

Total votes: 16

Dec 28th, '10, 01:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Tuesday TeaDay 12/28/10 "sweet spots"

by Chip » Dec 28th, '10, 01:38

Greetings everyone and welcome indeed to TeaDay. Please do drop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Yesterday we discussed, "Has a recent aquisition proven to be a delight for you?" You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Finding the "sweet spot." This was inspired by new member Garrettmc. Would you rather find your teas' sweet spot, or would you rather someone share their sweet spot for particular teas? Please share.

I am looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Dec 28th, '10, 01:43

Re: Tuesday TeaDay 12/28/10 "sweet spots"

by Chip » Dec 28th, '10, 01:43

Happy Happy Happy Horsencl and Leiche!

Dec 28th, '10, 04:02

by artmom » Dec 28th, '10, 04:02

I enjoy finding my Teas' sweet spot on my own, but also enjoy those I find by others sharing. :D

I am blessed. I had a perfect Christmas this year. 16 family members, including our Japanese and Guatemalan "sons" were all together in a chalet in the mountains and got over a foot of snow to literally "put the frosting on the cake!" Yoshi and Leonel had not seen each other in 34 years!!!! So DH Ed, our two "birth sons" and our two "heart sons" were together for the first time in 34 years, along with our grandkids, daughters-in-law, and Leonel's wife and three daughters! A great time was had by all! Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, eating, and being merry!!!

Oh, and lots of Tea, too! :lol:

Dec 28th, '10, 04:24
Vendor Member

by IPT » Dec 28th, '10, 04:24

Now that sounds like a truly merry Christmas!

Dec 28th, '10, 08:06

by brandon » Dec 28th, '10, 08:06

Had a lovely tea party last night. Tea from Taiwan theme.

Menu:
Li Shan Winter '10 (jade gao shan) vs Li Shan light charcoal roast by me.
Da Yu Ling Winter '10
Trad. Roast Dong Ding Winter 08
Winter '10 Baozhong
20 Year Aged Dong Ding

(light roast on left, hard to tell in the small photo but the aroma and flavour is evident. click to embiggen.)

Vote:
Little bit of each - I have been practicing every day for some years now, and am pretty confident with nearly any tea. But thankfully, I have some good teachers who can usually do one better.

Tea is an infinite hobby thanks to the endless opportunity for improvement and refinement.

Dec 28th, '10, 10:00

by TwoPynts » Dec 28th, '10, 10:00

A bit of both I would say.
I like to explore my own teas, but value other drinkers input as well.

Hearty genmaicha in the cups today.

Dec 28th, '10, 11:05

by debunix » Dec 28th, '10, 11:05

I always like to know what someone else thinks the sweet spot of a tea is, but my bitterphobia is such that I generally will not start with any recommended parameters that are too far outside the usual parameter I use for that type of tea.

Dec 28th, '10, 11:45

by brad4419 » Dec 28th, '10, 11:45

A little bit of each. Its nice to find a teas sweet spot on my own but its always nice to share tea experiences and get others input about a tea so I can try it both ways to find my favorite.

Bai Hao Yin Zhen this morning accompanied by a rou gui session.

Dec 28th, '10, 11:56

by nickE » Dec 28th, '10, 11:56

I gongfu most teas so there's not much variation. For Sencha, though, I usually follow Chip's advice. :mrgreen:

No tea yet. I'm off to London today, won't be posting for a while... :(

Dec 28th, '10, 12:42

by debunix » Dec 28th, '10, 12:42

Today's teaDay started with a nice 'Silver Dragon'--not really sure if it is a white or green tea, but low temps and gentle brewing and it is making friends and influencing people. Walked down the hall this morning at work with the little kyusu, fair cup, and some small cups on the tea tray, passing out cups of tea. It was very nice.

Dec 28th, '10, 13:06

by Chip » Dec 28th, '10, 13:06

Thanks Brandon for again coloring our TeaDay! You must have off this week? BTW, hope to be heading to Phillie ChinaTown in a few days. Was it you who mentioned that cellar tea store near the arch?
nickE wrote:No tea yet. I'm off to London today, won't be posting for a while... :(
Bon voyage and all that! Be sure to have high tea at least once. :mrgreen:

Dec 28th, '10, 13:09

by Victoria » Dec 28th, '10, 13:09

Find my own sweet spots on my own.

Happy Birthday Leiche and Horsencl!

Turzum Darjeeling to start the day.

Dec 28th, '10, 14:02

by Chip » Dec 28th, '10, 14:02

wOOt, 5 packages arrived today ... all from Japan!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :D :shock: 8) :P :!:

Dec 28th, '10, 14:40

by JRS22 » Dec 28th, '10, 14:40

I'm just happy to eventually find the sweet spot and enjoy a great cup of tea. Today some Weng Jia Shan Long Jing AAA from Jing Tea Shop, brewed according the instructions on the Tea Gallery blog. There I was with my tea kettle (with thermometer), gaiwan, scale, tea scoop, a small bowl to hold the dry tea after I measured it, a pitcher for cooling down the water (also with thermometer), my small tea goblet, a tea cup, timer, and, of course, my instructions.

If anyone has suggestions about streamlining the process, I'm open to any and all. First I boiled the water and poured some into the gaiwan to preheat it. Then I poured some water into the pitcher, with the thermometer, to cool it down to 180 degrees for the flash rinse. I did the flash rinse and poured that water into the extra tea cup which I covered with the small bowl that had held the dry tea (actually a small dipping bowl from a chinese restaurant supply store). Then when the water in the pitcher dropped down to 155 degrees I steeped the tea for 15 seconds, poured it into the tea goblet and drank it. Yes, it was worth all the work. More steeps, at slightly higher temperatures for slightly longer times (which is why I boiled the water - after carrying all the equipment to the table I didn't want to have to get up to reheat the water) and then I ended the session by drinking the mildly sweet tea from the flash rinse. I'm tired but happy just reminiscing about the process.

I suppose if I had to be at work at 9 am I'd save this tea for the weekend.

Dec 28th, '10, 15:43

by brandon » Dec 28th, '10, 15:43

JRS22 wrote:I'm just happy to eventually find the sweet spot and enjoy a great cup of tea. Today some Weng Jia Shan Long Jing AAA from Jing Tea Shop, brewed according the instructions on the Tea Gallery blog. There I was with my tea kettle (with thermometer), gaiwan, scale, tea scoop, a small bowl to hold the dry tea after I measured it, a pitcher for cooling down the water (also with thermometer), my small tea goblet, a tea cup, timer, and, of course, my instructions.

If anyone has suggestions about streamlining the process, I'm open to any and all. First I boiled the water and poured some into the gaiwan to preheat it. Then I poured some water into the pitcher, with the thermometer, to cool it down to 180 degrees for the flash rinse. I did the flash rinse and poured that water into the extra tea cup which I covered with the small bowl that had held the dry tea (actually a small dipping bowl from a chinese restaurant supply store). Then when the water in the pitcher dropped down to 155 degrees I steeped the tea for 15 seconds, poured it into the tea goblet and drank it. Yes, it was worth all the work. More steeps, at slightly higher temperatures for slightly longer times (which is why I boiled the water - after carrying all the equipment to the table I didn't want to have to get up to reheat the water) and then I ended the session by drinking the mildly sweet tea from the flash rinse. I'm tired but happy just reminiscing about the process.

I suppose if I had to be at work at 9 am I'd save this tea for the weekend.
For me... keep a pitcher or bottle of your water nearby at room temperature. Instead of waiting around for the cooling pitcher to hit 155, just mix boiling and room temp water to suit.