Buying new tea, any suggestions?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 26th, '10, 16:37
Scrolling: scrolling

Buying new tea, any suggestions?

by fracol » Dec 26th, '10, 16:37

So anyways christmas is over and so is all the hype that comes with it. I am going to buy some tea for the new year and was wondering if any of you tea brainiacs had any recommendations. Tea, vendor, etc...

Anyways I have a decent stock of black tea so I am looking for maybe some oolong and green tea. All suggestions are appriciated.

Dec 27th, '10, 03:04

Re: Buying new tea, any suggestions?

by bagua7 » Dec 27th, '10, 03:04

For wuyi oolong, I'd recommend Da Hong Pao from PostCard teas, which is quite nice and cheap bearing in mind that DHP is not a cheap tea. They sell 30g for £20.95 and then 30g refill for £18.45.

Dec 27th, '10, 10:10

by fracol » Dec 27th, '10, 10:10

Thanks I will check it out :D

Any More suggestions :?: keep them coming.....

Dec 30th, '10, 18:50

by bagua7 » Dec 30th, '10, 18:50

I am also very satisfied with a every day tea in the form of "green tea", in this case Norbu's Early Spring 2010 Mao Feng - Yunnan Green Tea.

Dec 31st, '10, 00:52

by rdl » Dec 31st, '10, 00:52

fracol wrote:Thanks I will check it out :D
Any More suggestions :?: keep them coming.....
especially if you live in a cold climate and like to drink tea all day, i suggest Houjicha. (Hibiki-an Houjicha Karigane is one I enjoy.). it may not be the kind of green tea you had in mind but for those times when appreciating a more quality tea isn't desired or possible, Houjicha can be very satisfying.
hope this suggestion helps.

Dec 31st, '10, 10:53

by debunix » Dec 31st, '10, 10:53

mayayo wrote:I am also very satisfied with a every day tea in the form of "green tea", in this case Norbu's Early Spring 2010 Mao Feng - Yunnan Green Tea.
I just had another enchanting session with that tea yesterday. It is quite distinctly sweet, fruity, and not to expensive. If you're ordering from him anyway, I love his 'Diamond' TGY, and whenever I come back to it after some sessions with other, lesser oolongs, there is a feeling of oh yes, this is why I love it so. And toss in some loose Wuliang Mao Cha puerh while you're there, and a bit of the 2008 YiWu bamboo aged puerh--these are all teas I've enjoyed and my bagged-tea drinking associates at work love them too. I've ordered quite a bit from Norbu and have been very satisfied with both the inexpensive and pricier teas.

I got a very similar grade and wonderfulness of TGY from Jing Tea Shop, who also carry some marvelous Long Jing (I treated myself to their Imperial Shih Feng version, a little went a long way, and WOW, nice stuff). I was impressed with all of the samples I ordered from them, actually, and would be quite confident to order larger quantities next time, throughout their range of teas.

Dec 31st, '10, 19:43

by bagua7 » Dec 31st, '10, 19:43

Yes, Debunix, that Yunnan green recommended by you and thanks for that. One thing, I love quality TGY but can't seem to find a consistent vendor. Would you recommend Norbu or JTS? And which JTS's harvest did you order anyway?

Personally I had the weng jia shan dragon well from JTS (accidentally sent instead of the shi feng version, thanks JTS and bad karma to me for not letting them know about their mistake :oops: ...but I will next time, I promise :D) and it was quite good knowing that 2010 and 2011 are not auspicious years for green tea. But let me tell you after 4th run you can tell how bad 2010 has been for green tea; despite the first three runs being impressive!

+ Post Reply