Excited to start chatting about tea! (SoCal)

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jan 2nd, '11, 19:52

Excited to start chatting about tea! (SoCal)

by Frontsider » Jan 2nd, '11, 19:52

My name is Kurt and Im glad I decided to join TeaChat. I live in a part of southern California people out here often like to call the "bubble" because its tucked away by mountains outside of the valley right before Ventura county and within the borders of los angeles county. So, hence the term. But, other people know it as Westlake Village/Agoura Hills.

Im looking very forward to to talking to other tea fiends/guru's like myself. Its not very often that I come across people in my everyday life that actually drink tea, real tea, and appreciate it. Every one out here seems to drink coffee like their life depends on it. So, me talking tea with someone is practically non existent. Im sure many of you are familiar with Teavana, thats my closest option for talking tea with someone, yet the employees often just that, employees. Tea to me is not just something to drink, its part of my lifestyle, something I look forward to each day I wake up, Its a passion, and Im very fortunate to have been introduced to the lovely world behind it all. I love making tea for my friends and family, even though they often laugh at me, or are quite surprised that a 20's something year old man would be so fond of it. You would think that with the current health trends that people would open their arms and mind more to something that is so great for you. Instead, soda, alcohol, and coffee seem to be that lingering preferred choice of beverage. But thats a whole other topic that im sure I can find or start here. :)

Anyways, sorry about the long intro. I can get carried away when writing sometimes, especially when it comes to tea.

Jan 2nd, '11, 20:25

Re: Excited to start chatting about tea! (SoCal)

by mosshorn » Jan 2nd, '11, 20:25

Sounds like you can share wisdom and get it back in return! (although I'm one of the least wise of everyone on here ;D)

Welcome!

Jan 2nd, '11, 20:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 2nd, '11, 20:32

Welcome to TeaChat Kurt. Hope to see you around the forum!

You can share what is in your cup on TeaDay.

Jan 2nd, '11, 20:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 2nd, '11, 20:36

Welcome from the OC. :)

Jan 3rd, '11, 01:02

by Frontsider » Jan 3rd, '11, 01:02

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Ill be sure to post on tea day, not sure what that is quite yet, but im sure i will figure it out. Im sipping on one of my evening favorites right now, white blueberry. So tasty. :P

Jan 3rd, '11, 02:09

by debunix » Jan 3rd, '11, 02:09

welcome! you're not too far from teashops that are a whole lot better than Teavana, and
TeaChat can give you pointers on a wide variety of online tea sellers--between those resources, you can acquire lots of lovely teas to enjoy and discuss on TeaChat. Welcome from Los Angeles.

Jan 3rd, '11, 02:51

by Frontsider » Jan 3rd, '11, 02:51

I cant wait. Also pumped on hearing your feedback, you seem, from what i have seen so far, the ultimate tea guru! And you a local, so you can help me with my soon treks downtown and its surrounding areas for awesome teashops :D I know teavana isnt the only teashops around. There are many in L.A. but i dont go down there that often. I rarely buy from teavana, i dont like their teas, but visit there as it is very close to me (thousand oaks), when im in that mall. They seem just too over the top and way over rated. I have bought teaware from them though. I like their steeper better than the ingenuitea as well as their glass mugs. I would like to expand my horizons though in purchasing tea online. I have had nothing but great experience when buying teas from adagio, I just want to try some rarer or more exquisite teas. So I would love the recommendations.

Jan 3rd, '11, 10:28

by hopeofdawn » Jan 3rd, '11, 10:28

If you'd like to find new/better teashops, I'd definitely suggest the teamap--it's a great tool for finding hidden gems in your area. Heck, I even use it when I travel to go explore new places. :)

Jan 3rd, '11, 13:31

by nonc_ron » Jan 3rd, '11, 13:31

Frontsider wrote:My name is Kurt and Im glad I decided to join TeaChat.
Hi and welcome to TeaChat.

Jan 3rd, '11, 17:29

by debunix » Jan 3rd, '11, 17:29

teamap?

Jan 4th, '11, 01:29

by Peacock » Jan 4th, '11, 01:29

http://www.teamap.com/

You can put in your zip code and it will bring up tea rooms.

Jan 4th, '11, 02:09

by debunix » Jan 4th, '11, 02:09

Ahh.....interesting. Hadn't noticed that before.

Added Wing Hop Fung, because although it is primarily a shop that sells herbs and teas, you can in fact sit and sample several teas, quite enjoyably, while watching the bustle of the busy shop. More 'tea' than 'room'....

+ Post Reply