Relaxing?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 10th, '05, 19:25

Relaxing?

by Ponderer » Jun 10th, '05, 19:25

What is it about green tea (in particular) which makes it so relaxing? I know that it does have some caffine, but are there any other chemicals which could have an effect on the body or mind?

Jun 14th, '05, 10:21

by Guest » Jun 14th, '05, 10:21

my tea guy says it's the process of brewing that makes you relax but technically, tea has caffeine, so it's really not supposed to relax you. On the other hand, new studies are being released that says it reduces hypertension though they still don't know why. So maybe it's psychological, or maybe there's a relaxation chemical at work that they haven't pinpointed yet. Maybe you can do an experiment and try drinking hot water with lemon or ginger or something. Let me know if it relaxes you as much as tea does!!! :P post back and tell me the results!!! :)

Jun 19th, '05, 18:27

by ponderer » Jun 19th, '05, 18:27

I don't know about your experiment, but the caffine seems to have little to no effect on me; I drank about three cups of green tea the other night, and then promptly went to sleep.

Jul 15th, '05, 23:22

by PeteVu » Jul 15th, '05, 23:22

the caffine does keep me awake at night so i never drink it after 9pm, despite my longing for it. I feel like brewing does reduce my stress, and its one of my favorite ways to take a break from studying (i am a college student). I think its cause brewing a good tea simply cant be rushed, and it gives you time to relax. Then inhaling that sweet vapor that rises to fill your lungs just makes me feel all warm inside and relaxes all my muscles at once. isnt tea great? ^^

Aug 15th, '05, 21:47

by Ponderer » Aug 15th, '05, 21:47

Tea is nice... I'm going to college this fall, and lot's of students are Coffeholics *yuck* after 2 cups I hava an alcer. Tea is scrumptulecent

Aug 16th, '05, 09:25

by Mike B » Aug 16th, '05, 09:25

Ponderer wrote:Tea is nice... I'm going to college this fall, and lot's[sic] of students are Coffeholics *yuck* after 2 cups I hava[sic] an alcer[sic]. Tea is scrumptulecent[sic]
This college business -- it's not to study English, is it?

Aug 16th, '05, 10:57

by chris » Aug 16th, '05, 10:57

Mike--

From my experience, I can tell you that not all English Majors are good spellers -- or even know how to competently express an idea. Unfortunately, many of these poor craftsmen actually get published (or end up writing for a tea newsletter *sob*).

Pete--

Can I borrow "scrumptulecent"? I'm working on a new tea article and it would fit perfectly.

Chris
Adagio Maestro
Last edited by chris on Aug 16th, '05, 12:38, edited 2 times in total.

Aug 16th, '05, 11:06

by Mike B » Aug 16th, '05, 11:06

chris wrote:Can I borrow "scrumptulecent"? I'm working on a new tea article and it would fit perfectly.
Don't encourage him. Wait until he can use the words that exist before granting carte blanche to create words that don't.

Besides, "scrumptulecent" sounds too much like this word. Ew.

Aug 16th, '05, 12:35

by chris » Aug 16th, '05, 12:35

Thanks for the reply.

Ferlinghetti once said that we can never truly achieve greatness in writing without "constantly risking absurdity." However, he does go on to say that the great one (who he, of course, calls the poet) "must perforce perceive taut truth before the taking of each stance."

Ah, poets.

Encourangentially,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

PS - Your word made my computer crash... now that's strong language!

Aug 16th, '05, 14:53

by Mike B » Aug 16th, '05, 14:53

chris wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Ferlinghetti once said
"Farinelli?" I thought. "What the hell does an 18th century castrato have to do with the greatness of writing?" And then I read your sentence again.

I do not know this Ferlinghetti of which you speak. I do know that Allen Ginsberg makes me tired. And Jack Kerouac? I've really wanted to like him -- really. It's just, well, Ginsberg makes me all nappy and Kerouac doesn't encourage me to wake up at all.
We can never truly achieve greatness in writing without "constantly risking absurdity."
Not to get all Harold Bloom on you (and I love how in that picture, Bloom looks like he's just had a run-in with Allen Ginsberg), but I think that's the Anxiety of Influence talking. Plenty of great writers -- from Tolstoy to Trollope to George Eliot to Jane Austen -- achieved greatness without getting all attention-whoring with the writing. They just wrote good, clean sentences without a lot of fuss (you hearing this, Dickens?).
However, he does go on to say that the great one (who he, of course, calls the poet) "must perforce perceive taut truth before the taking of each stance."
I don't know that I understand what he means by "taut truth" -- but the guy does love his alliterations, doesn't he? Taut truth. Perforce perceive. That's a bit much, Mr. Ferlinghetti.
Ah, poets.

Encourangentially,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

PS - Your word made my computer crash... now that's strong language!
Heh. You almost said "genital."

Aug 16th, '05, 15:58

by chris » Aug 16th, '05, 15:58

Sorry, I meant Lawrence Ferlinghetti.

He's my fav of the Beats -- less non-sensical than Burroughs or Ginsberg and less meandering and more concise than Kerouac.

I bought a CD of Ferlinghetti performing some of his more famous writings, accompanied by Dana Colley from Morphine... kinda like listening to grandpa telling you about his day while on LSD. And yes, he always adores ample alliteration (sorry-- couldn't resist).

Castratically,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 16th, '05, 17:14

by PeteVu » Aug 16th, '05, 17:14

Mike B wrote: This college business -- it's not to study English, is it?
Some of us dont spend our time in college studying english. pfft.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 16th, '05, 19:12

by Tracy » Aug 16th, '05, 19:12

PeteVu wrote:
Mike B wrote: This college business -- it's not to study English, is it?
Some of us dont spend our time in college studying english. pfft.
Um, I think you should dedicate at least a bit of time in order to be able to articulately string together a few words. If you don't, you may pay for it later. A fair amount of correspondence in the corporate world these days (whether you're an engineer, project manager, scientist, or lawyer) takes place via e-mail, and good communication is very important.

I think that good spelling & grammar say a lot about a person's attention to detail, educational level, and overall intelligence. Of course, a fair amount of slack is cut for the brave folks that have ventured over here to work and have adopted English as their second (or third or fourth) language... :)
Tea...is a religion of the art of life. ~Okakura

Aug 16th, '05, 19:19

by Mike B » Aug 16th, '05, 19:19

Tracy wrote:I think that good spelling & grammar say a lot about a person's attention to detail, educational level, and overall intelligence. Of course, a fair amount of slack is cut for the brave folks that have ventured over here to work and have adopted English as their second (or third or fourth) language...
This is why I've always loved you better than all the others, Tracy. Now stop using smileys.

Aug 16th, '05, 19:28

by PeteVu » Aug 16th, '05, 19:28

how necessary is proper english for what i see as a casual forum? do you think i write like this for more important matters? its easy to "articulately string together a few words" for an email; i send out several a day. After junior high english i never learned anything useful in english class. analyzing literature? excessively precise grammar? useless. i let my content speak for my "attention to detail, educational level, and overall intelligence," not my spelling and grammar. the fault in your argument is that theres nothing u can learn about spelling and grammar in higher education that u cant learn from reading.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

+ Post Reply