Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"


Hagi, TeawareArtisan, etc. Special Offer Program

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby chicagopotter » Jan 3rd, '11, 20:31

Finally have a free minute...Can say that this is my favorite SO, hands down. I had actually been watching Eiichi's work on Ebay for a while, but never really had a great reason to purchase any. That and the pieces were usually bid up much higher than I would be comfortable paying. The price for this SO was definitely a steal! I am particularly interested in his work because of the fact that hie is a fairly young potter and already shows a great deal of material understanding and creativity. The clay body of this SO, in particular, exhibits quite a bit of fluidity while being made of an extremely rigid and static and material. Looking at and feeling the unglazed foot area reminds me of being at the beach -- such an amazing sandy color and feel. The hand-carved foot exhibits controlled spontaneity. The glaze is a beautiful glossy white that has an extremely silky feel. I certainly wouldn't be heartbroken if the glaze on mine didn't crackle...But I will definitely love it regardless.
User avatar
chicagopotter
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Apr 28th, '
Location: Chicago

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Chip » Jan 3rd, '11, 22:05

woozl wrote:Or placing on a nice mahogany table :shock:

+1, or any scratchable or water sensitive surface.
Chicagop... wrote:Finally have a free minute...Can say that this is my favorite SO, hands down. I had actually been watching Eiichi's work on Ebay for a while, but never really had a great reason to purchase any. That and the pieces were usually bid up much higher than I would be comfortable paying. The price for this SO was definitely a steal! I am particularly interested in his work because of the fact that hie is a fairly young potter and already shows a great deal of material understanding and creativity. The clay body of this SO, in particular, exhibits quite a bit of fluidity while being made of an extremely rigid and static and material. Looking at and feeling the unglazed foot area reminds me of being at the beach -- such an amazing sandy color and feel. The hand-carved foot exhibits controlled spontaneity. The glaze is a beautiful glossy white that has an extremely silky feel. I certainly wouldn't be heartbroken if the glaze on mine didn't crackle...But I will definitely love it regardless.

Thank you Mr. ChicagoPotter for your comments on this piece! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22112
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Drax » Jan 3rd, '11, 22:13

Chip wrote:
woozl wrote:Or placing on a nice mahogany table :shock:

+1, or any scratchable or water sensitive surface.


I learned this lesson the hard way...

I had my hagi mizusashi (yes, I now have 2 mizusashi... :oops: ) on the kitchen counter, which is some sort of cheap laminate (I live in an old apartment building).

When I picked it up to use it, I noticed the counter looked... rough. Well, it turns out the mizusashi gets a little damp on the bottom (not a leak, just moist; or perhaps some water had trickled down the side and gotten underneath), and that, combined with the rough hagi surface caused the countertop to... dimple -- little bumps all over.

It did not dry out and go back to normal. I don't think it's really noticeable, but... whoops! haha

I might try to take an SOS pad to them or something, but I'm worried that'll just rip them off and expose the undersurface. Stupid, cheap laminate!
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2556
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby kymidwife » Jan 4th, '11, 00:51

A few shots to try to show off the beginnings of crackling...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
kymidwife
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: May 10th, '
Location: Kentucky

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Chip » Jan 4th, '11, 01:00

Yeah Sarah, these are not Starbucks resistant Hagi! :lol: Nice cup choice and photos, thanks for sharing!

Sencha is not moving the crackles a long nearly as fast despite well over 30 steeps so far, but it is progressing.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22112
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby kymidwife » Jan 4th, '11, 01:25

LOL, that is NOT Starbucks.... that is Adagio's own Wuyi Da Hong Pao from the Masters Collection. Sheesh. :twisted:
User avatar
kymidwife
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: May 10th, '
Location: Kentucky

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Chip » Jan 4th, '11, 01:30

kymidwife wrote:LOL, that is NOT Starbucks.... that is Adagio's own Wuyi Da Hong Pao from the Masters Collection. Sheesh. :twisted:

Ohhhh, alrighTea then ... that is legal. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22112
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby debunix » Jan 5th, '11, 02:22

Mine is left-handed, clearly, so nice to have it in my lefty-hand!

Yay, yay, yay, hoo-ray!

Image
Treasures from Mago by debunix, on Flickr


And some other cups slipped into the order basket somehow too.
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 5034
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Stentor » Jan 5th, '11, 03:18

Oh, the sencha cups set, nice! I was wondering how much tea they hold?

There's a slight chance my Snowdrift will arrive today. Fingers crossed!
User avatar
Stentor
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Oct 8th, '1
Location: Germany

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Victoria » Jan 5th, '11, 03:51

Ohhhhh the sencha cup set, the price was good, but I didn't want that many. They are lovely! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby debunix » Jan 5th, '11, 12:43

Victoria wrote:I didn't want that many.


I am so prone to breaking things that having some extras is very nice.

And now I can rearrange things to keep a nice group of cups at home and at the office for sharing tea, and a few extras even for the satellite office where I spend a few days every month. I hate hate hate sharing the nice teas in styrofoam cups....
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 5034
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Chip » Jan 5th, '11, 13:24

Nice Hagi booty debunix! Hope to see some more photos of SnowDrift! So SAL shipments are beginning to arrive now!

Stentor wrote:There's a slight chance my Snowdrift will arrive today. Fingers crossed!

And??? Hope today was the day!
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22112
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby iannon » Jan 5th, '11, 13:27

Chip wrote:Nice Hagi booty debunix! Hope to see some more photos of SnowDrift! So SAL shipments are beginning to arrive now!

Stentor wrote:There's a slight chance my Snowdrift will arrive today. Fingers crossed!

And??? Hope today was the day!

ooh ooh..waiting on my SAL too...
User avatar
iannon
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: The foot of the great Smoky Mountains

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Chip » Jan 5th, '11, 13:29

Hope the Mrs. Ian does not hijack it! :wink: :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22112
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Postby Chip » Jan 5th, '11, 15:51

60 sencha steeps (5 steeps per session) and the staining of crackles is slowly spreading. Clearly this is a slower stainer and sencha is slow to stain = not nearly as much staining as others have experienced to date despite likely much more use here. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22112
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation