Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program

Jan 5th, '11, 19:52

Re: NEW! Hagi SO 14 "SnowDrifts"

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Jan 5th, '11, 19:52

iannon wrote:
Chip wrote:Nice Hagi booty debunix! Hope to see some more photos of SnowDrift! So SAL shipments are beginning to arrive now!
Stentor wrote:There's a slight chance my Snowdrift will arrive today. Fingers crossed!
And??? Hope today was the day!
ooh ooh..waiting on my SAL too...
My SAL arrived today.

Jan 5th, '11, 21:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 5th, '11, 21:19

pic pic ... :idea: :!: :arrow: :mrgreen:

Jan 6th, '11, 04:15

by Stentor » Jan 6th, '11, 04:15

Chip wrote:
Stentor wrote:There's a slight chance my Snowdrift will arrive today. Fingers crossed!
Yup, I got it yesterday!! Love it!
I plan on taking some pictures later when I use it for the first time.

Jan 6th, '11, 09:09

by iannon » Jan 6th, '11, 09:09

Stentor wrote:
Chip wrote:
Yup, I got it yesterday!! Love it!
I plan on taking some pictures later when I use it for the first time.
Still waiting ;(

Jan 6th, '11, 10:14

by Stentor » Jan 6th, '11, 10:14

As promised, here are the pictures of the lovely Snowdrift #9.
Mine appears to be made for right handed use. Do the carved lines/segments actually go in different directions on different pieces? Mine go counter-clockwise if you will, so it's perfect for the right hand.
Also, it's like there is exactly one correct way to hold it. There is a protrusion under which my pinky fits exactly and when I hold it this way the other fingers face zero resistance and the smooth side of the cup is pointing my way. Pretty awesome :) It's lucky, but I guess I couldn't have made a better choice :D

I really like the clay he used. I don't own a Deishi piece yet (shame on me) and I think it's the clay that he also uses a lot, so it's probably nothing new for a lot of you.
I really like the texture. A cup with an unglazed or partially unglazed outside made from this clay might be cool!

So, finally, here are the pictures ;)
(Sorry for crappy camera and photographer)

Drinking tea from it for the first time, O-Cha's organic "7132" (3rd infusion pictured).

Jan 6th, '11, 10:57

by iannon » Jan 6th, '11, 10:57

sweet! Come on SAL..come on SAL..

Jan 6th, '11, 10:59

by Chip » Jan 6th, '11, 10:59

Cool SnowDrift Stentor! I think all the drifts face one way. I enjoy looking at everyones pics!

How do you like the 7132? Quite different. I prefer more veggie sencha, but this fruity and cinnamon raisin warmed bread sensation was quite something to linger over.

Jan 6th, '11, 11:28

by Stentor » Jan 6th, '11, 11:28

Chip wrote:How do you like the 7132? Quite different. I prefer more veggie sencha, but this fruity and cinnamon raisin warmed bread sensation was quite something to linger over.
It was actually my first time having it. I liked it A LOT. I almost instantly ordered more since it's LE :) I'll wait a little but I'm pretty sure I'll buy it again.
I agree there definitely was a cinnamon raisin bread aroma. I read you say that before and figured it was going to be more subtle but it was very noticeable, right from the first sip. It's really fascinating how much variety there is in Japanese tea alone.
I also went for five infusions with it and it did really well.
Since it's not so veggie, I think it's a good tea to have with company who've never had sencha. Those people can be a tough crowd, especially when all you have at hand is some really bold fuka!
I'm gonna try some more organics so if you have any suggestions or tasting notes, feel free to PM me :mrgreen: (I don't want to derail this thread).

Jan 6th, '11, 12:03

by Drax » Jan 6th, '11, 12:03

Stentor wrote:As promised, here are the pictures of the lovely Snowdrift #9.
Mine appears to be made for right handed use. Do the carved lines/segments actually go in different directions on different pieces? Mine go counter-clockwise if you will, so it's perfect for the right hand.
Cool!

I was wondering about this as well. From all the pictures, the spirals are right-handed spirals (that is, from the bottom of the cup to the top, the curve goes counter-clockwise).

So I was surprised when others said it fit the left hand better. I suppose it might depend on your preference for feel -- the right hand will match the direction of the curve better, but the left hand will go against it and possible give a better grip because of it.

Mine's still on its way (coming SAL, as I ordered a couple other items and cheaped out on shipping). Most likely I won't see it until this weekend... :(

Jan 6th, '11, 13:48

by mosshorn » Jan 6th, '11, 13:48

Crackles are in full season here, apparently snowdrifts cracks under Florida weather....and black and roasted oolongs :P
Pictured with some sencha, which was equally good :)

I would have taken these in an outdoor environment....but oh well :mrgreen: I'll have more pics of her age marks once I'm done drinking!

Jan 6th, '11, 13:50

by Chip » Jan 6th, '11, 13:50

Whoa, you got one that is showing progression very quickly!!!!!!!!!!!! Outstanding. Even on the outside of the cup. :mrgreen:

Jan 6th, '11, 14:45

by debunix » Jan 6th, '11, 14:45

Beautiful crackles. I won't get mine going until this weekend....sigh. Just soaking it now.

Jan 6th, '11, 15:45

by Seeker » Jan 6th, '11, 15:45

Mine arrived a few days ago - yay!
I've given it two hagi baths/soakings, and used it a couple of times.
I love how it feels in hand, the texture of the 'drifts' is just wonderful, so tactile. There is a conversation between the yunomi and my hand constantly while drinking tea, a very pleasing conversation.
Crackling has begun on the inside, and only just a teeny little bit between 'drifts' on the outside (didn't notice until drinking tea after photos, so no image).
Cheers!

ps - in response to comments ive seen about handedness and sipping spot - mine feels good in either hand, but I notice a gravitation toward my left (and I am right handed). The sipping spot was evident pretty quickly, and remains constant. So far I have sipped darjeeling and white peony from it. What a great hagi-licious yunomi!

Jan 6th, '11, 16:24

by Chip » Jan 6th, '11, 16:24

:lol: Guess I would have to brew and serve darker teas in order to expedite the crackling that MossHorn and now Seeker are experiencing.

Beauty Seeker! Glad it is bringing so much pleasure to you ... and your hands. :mrgreen:

Jan 6th, '11, 16:38

by iannon » Jan 6th, '11, 16:38

Wife missed the mail man..got a little slip in the box..not sure if its my cup or tea from china?

+ Post Reply