Thursday TeaDay 1/7/11 First teaware?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Memory lane. Think back to when you first realllllly began to drink tea. What was the first teaware purchase and do you still use it? Please share details.

I believe it was a teapot or brewing vessel
36%
cup
9%
accessory
6%
kettle
1%
other
3%
Bonus, still use it
23%
Bonus, used it a lot then, but not now
9%
Bonus, used it only briefly
12%
Bonus, never used it
No votes
Bonus, other
1%

Total votes: 69

Jan 6th, '11, 01:00
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 1/7/11 First teaware?

by Chip » Jan 6th, '11, 01:00

Greetings everyone and welcome to a great TeaDay. Please be sure to share what is in your cup throughout the day ... speaking of ...
Chip wrote:Announcement!!! TeaDay Contest January 2011!
Kramer wrote:Who wants to have some fun!?!

Commencing on January 6th, be sure to post often and daily in TeaDay.
Details and prizes to follow in a few! :wink:
Contest ends at midnight on January 31st Eastern USA time.

Prizes will be awarded for various categories, so be sure to answer the poll, tell us what you are drinking throughout the day, discuss the topic, and post pictures! You know, "TeaChat!" The more you post ...
:idea:
Yesterday we discussed new tea discoveries for the new year. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Memory lane. Think back to when you first realllllly began to drink tea. What was the first teaware purchase and do you still use it? Not a poll for it, do you still have it? Please share details.

I am looking forward to sharing this Teaday and strolling down memory lane with everyone today. Bottoms up.

Jan 6th, '11, 01:18

Re: Thursday TeaDay 1/7/11 First teaware?

by Poohblah » Jan 6th, '11, 01:18

gaiwan, so I chose "other"

Jan 6th, '11, 02:04

by auhckw » Jan 6th, '11, 02:04

1st Teapot - 2010-05-23 - Tachi Masaki - Banko Yaki (Japan Purple Clay)
Used twice and currently a display item only cause it is too big for me

2nd Teapot - 2010-05-24 - Heat-Resistant Glassware (FH-234)
Used many times but no longer using it and frankly I have forgotten about it till this thread was brought up 8)

Jan 6th, '11, 03:15

by Nenugal » Jan 6th, '11, 03:15

Half a year ago, I bought a 150 ml "Blue Flower Vine" easy-gaiwan and a 125 ml "Rust Gradient" cup from Yunnan Sourcing. I still use them relatively often (always together), and I frequently bring them on travels since they are quite versatile, robust, compact and cheap.

Jan 6th, '11, 04:34

by tsverrir » Jan 6th, '11, 04:34

Spring 2007 in Peking. It was nearly impossible to find a decent cup of coffee, and when you did it was about the same price as a meal in a restaurant. So I bought a yixing pot (not knowing what it was) and some jasmine tea and oolong (that I never heard of before).
I still use the pot every now and then and although it's my lowest quality pot today, I'm really fond of it.

Jan 6th, '11, 04:59

by artmom » Jan 6th, '11, 04:59

On the poll, I checked "Other" on both. It's just too long ago for me to remember!!!! However, it was probably an English style bone china cup and saucer as when I first married and was working and having children I went over to the "dark side" of tea bags :shock: :oops: :lol: for a while.

No tea yet today, as I am up in the middle of my night. Couldn't get back to sleep for some reason. :roll:

Jan 6th, '11, 06:07

by JBaymore » Jan 6th, '11, 06:07

Like artmom, ........so long ago can't remember.

best,

...............john

Jan 6th, '11, 06:50

by artmom » Jan 6th, '11, 06:50

This is off-topic; but for those who might be interested, here's a link to an article under my byline regarding our international "sons" reunion after 34 years! It's in our hometown newspaper, circulation 22,000.

http://new.thedailytimes.com/Blount_Lif ... _id_006505

Chip, if this isn't appropriate, just delete! Thanks! :D

Jan 6th, '11, 10:07

by tortoise » Jan 6th, '11, 10:07

It was a tea pot and I still use it! It's a very round cast iron japanese pot with a folding top handle. It looks like a small tetsubin, though I think the inside is coated. It was gifted to me from a very dear friend from Pearl Street Market (is that what it's called?), when it was actually on Pearl Street in lower Manhattan. I used that pot exclusively for at least 10 years. Now I'm trying not to get too sentimental about that period in my life. Ah, screw it, I can't help myself!
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Drying up...moving on...

No tea this morning. As it turns out, a gift certificate to O-Cha from my well intentioned mother is for 50 YEN, not 50 dollars, so...
:lol:

Jan 6th, '11, 11:00

by Chip » Jan 6th, '11, 11:00

Poohblah wrote:gaiwan, so I chose "other"
Brewing vessel added! :mrgreen: I am guessing that a gaiwan is pretty unusual for a first purchase!

And with that, another "gaiwan" and a yixing ... and a banko.

Mine was not so glamorous. I believe it was a major clunky coffee cup that likely held 12-16 ounces ... used it a few times and realized this was not the way to go.

Next, in desperation to QUICKLY find something to brew loose leaves, a few french coffee presses, which I still use mostly for iced teas.

Had to improv early on ... :mrgreen:

Jan 6th, '11, 11:05

by Chip » Jan 6th, '11, 11:05

artmom wrote:This is off-topic; but for those who might be interested, here's a link to an article under my byline regarding our international "sons" reunion after 34 years! It's in our hometown newspaper, circulation 22,000.

http://new.thedailytimes.com/Blount_Lif ... _id_006505

Chip, if this isn't appropriate, just delete! Thanks! :D
Instead of deleting, quoted. Thanks for sharing a piece of the reunion with us.

Jan 6th, '11, 11:12

by geeber1 » Jan 6th, '11, 11:12

Awesome story, artmom! You sure inspired a lot of people through your generosity.

My first teaware would have been my IngenuiTea (the big one). I still use it in the summertime when I want to brew a large amount of tea for iced tea. Used to be that I drank iced all year long, but haven't been into it much this winter.

Nilgiri Blue from Tao of Tea in my cup this morning.

Jan 6th, '11, 11:14

by Chip » Jan 6th, '11, 11:14

tortoise wrote: It was a tea pot and I still use it! It's a very round cast iron japanese pot with a folding top handle. It looks like a small tetsubin, though I think the inside is coated. It was gifted to me from a very dear friend from Pearl Street Market (is that what it's called?), when it was actually on Pearl Street in lower Manhattan. I used that pot exclusively for at least 10 years. Now I'm trying not to get too sentimental about that period in my life. Ah, screw it, I can't help myself!
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Drying up...moving on...

No tea this morning. As it turns out, a gift certificate to O-Cha from my well intentioned mother is for 50 YEN, not 50 dollars, so...
:lol:
I think we need some photos! My firsties were so mundane compared to most others.

:lol: Yeah, mom must have thought the exchange rate was outstanding, 50 USD for pennies on the dollar ... oh, don't we all wish!

Jan 6th, '11, 11:15

by brad4419 » Jan 6th, '11, 11:15

Well... technically my first brewing device I bought was a little metal torture device for tea leaves, other wise called an infusion basket. I don't want to count that or even think about it, so Im going to say it was a glass teapot from yunnansourcing that holds about 360ml, heres a link http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1526 since I can't load pics on the schools computer lab computers :x

I still use that teapot daily for Chinese greens, white, black and herbal teas.

Jiu Hua fo cha again today, brewed in a nice 360ml glass teapot :wink:

Jan 6th, '11, 11:25

by brandon » Jan 6th, '11, 11:25

I got a personal size teapot (12 oz?) from Phaltzgraf when I was 11 or 12. It is long gone. I brewed in it 2 Darjeeling muscatel teabags from Bigelow each morning.

If someone were to buy some lesser brand of teabags, I would express my displeasure.