Relaxing?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 16th, '05, 20:04

by Mike B » Aug 16th, '05, 20:04

PeteVu wrote:how necessary is proper english for what i see as a casual forum?
I think of proper English as a way of saying, "I care about you." It shows that I took time to capitalize and spell out words like "you" and "anyone." It means I think you're worth the effort.

Certainly not everyone thinks this way, but regardless of the message board, if I see a lot of misspellings or careless syntax; or if I see a lot of Internet shorthand or smileys; I don't enjoy reading the posts as much.
do you think i write like this for more important matters?
I don't know. This is the only place I know you from. So, based on my limited exposure to you I'd have to say, "Yeah. I think you probably write like this a lot."
its easy to "articulately string together a few words" for an email; i send out several a day.
I don't know. I've read the entire Internet and I've seen a lot of different writing styles. A lot of people aren't so good at stringing letters together to make words, let alone stringing together words articulately.
After junior high english i never learned anything useful in english class. analyzing literature? excessively precise grammar? useless.
Ow. That hit me where I live. I think analyzing literature -- especially Victorian and 18th/19th century literature -- is a fine way to spend one's time. 'Course, your mileage may vary on that one (or YMMV as the hip kids write). And I don't know what "excessively precise grammar" is. Grammar is a bit like mathematics, only maybe a little more fluid. If the rules of grammar are followed, then it just makes it easier for all to understand what is meant by your sentences, paragraphs, and posts.
i let my content speak for my "attention to detail, educational level, and overall intelligence," not my spelling and grammar.
But...but... if your content is flawed -- if you can't even get basic things like capitalization and spelling correct -- why should I trust the rest of your content?

And in closing -- who the hell is Gwen Stefani and why is she dressed like a drum majorette on my television?

Aug 16th, '05, 21:32

by Tracy » Aug 16th, '05, 21:32

PeteVu wrote:...the fault in your argument is that theres nothing u can learn about spelling and grammar in higher education that u cant learn from reading.
The "argument," if there was any, so to speak, was prompted by you, who questioned the necessity of studying English in college. In grad school, it was appalling to see the level of English that my colleagues exhibited, and believe me, I'd never hire anyone with that level of writing skill.

Granted, on a casual board like this, I think it's fine to ease up on the spelling, grammar, and diction. After all, if worrying about spelling and grammar takes the fun out of it for you, by all means, do what you like. Just don't expect me to pay much attention to your so-called "content" which supposedly "speaks for itself" while trying to decipher what you're trying to "articulate," however "inarticulate."

If smileys didn't bother Mike so much, I'd add one, perhaps a wink, in case you missed any goodwill and humour injected into this post. Emoticons might have a place in a forum devoid of intonation and kinesics, but I'll defer...
Tea...is a religion of the art of life. ~Okakura

Aug 17th, '05, 00:33

by chris » Aug 17th, '05, 00:33

Don't worry about Mike B, Tracy -- it's not that he truly hates smileys, he's just bitter because his "colon" button is stuck, rendering him internet-blind and completely apathetic.

Mike B, I think that there's ointment for that.

Pete, keep on writing... the important part is to contribute in your most effective way. We all write for different reasons and sometimes have hidden motives behind our reasoning. The aim of this bulletin board is not to represent the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.

Aristotilian,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 17th, '05, 07:14

by Mike B » Aug 17th, '05, 07:14

:P

Aug 17th, '05, 09:31

by jzero » Aug 17th, '05, 09:31

Mike B wrote:I've read the entire Internet and I've seen a lot of different writing styles.
I'm impressed - a guy who has apparently done a good deal of analog reading, who STILL managed to find time to read the ENTIRE Internet! :shock:
And in closing -- who the hell is Gwen Stefani and why is she dressed like a drum majorette on my television?
I'm not going to call you Al Gore, but perhaps you exaggerated just the SLIGHTEST little bit in the above claim, as there is no way you read the entire Internet without learning who Gwen Stefani is.

And that song is awful. No doubt about it. *rimshot
They Call Me Jzero

Aug 17th, '05, 09:36

by Mike B » Aug 17th, '05, 09:36

jzero wrote:I'm not going to call you Al Gore, but perhaps you exaggerated just the SLIGHTEST little bit in the above claim, as there is no way you read the entire Internet without learning who Gwen Stefani is.

And that song is awful. No doubt about it. *rimshot
Well, maybe it was a rough draft of the Internet I read. All I know is that, last I heard, Gwen, Sgt. Pepper wasn't getting the Lonely Hearts Club Band together again so just sit down and shut up for awhile, dig? The adults are trying to talk here.

Aug 17th, '05, 10:56

by teaspoon » Aug 17th, '05, 10:56

Ooh, ok I'm comin' to this once it's already over and done with (hopefully) but I just have ONE statement to make. And those with no sense of humor need not read further.

If you'd spend more time reading Middle English, all yall would get over yourselves. Seriously.

Besides, the English grammar that so many are trampling upon now is, arguably, invalid. English was, once upon a time, forced into the mold of Latin grammar, which is, as they say nowadays, LAME because English isn't even a Romance language. Some of the rules of Latin just don't make sense or simply aren't necessary in English. I for one will continue to defiantly split infinitives where I like [insert one of those utterly offensive yet undeniably fun winking smileys].

Muaha!

~the oh-so-steeped in ridiculously old but not quite ancient british literature teaspon
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 17th, '05, 11:24

by PeteVu » Aug 17th, '05, 11:24

I write grood enuf to get a job =P spelling and grammar are easy, especially with my dangfangled spellchecker which catches all my lil typos cause my dang digits dont hit them keys right =(
Mike B wrote: I think of proper English as a way of saying, "I care about you." It shows that I took time to capitalize and spell out words like "you" and "anyone." It means I think you're worth the effort.
i absulootley luv u mike b ^^ =P =)
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 17th, '05, 11:28

by Mike B » Aug 17th, '05, 11:28

PeteVu wrote:i absulootley luv u mike b ^^ =P =)
I love you, too, punkin. And that's why your mother and I have decided to send you away to a "special" school: we're worried we might love you to death or something. Don't worry. We'll pack plenty of paste for you to eat.

Aug 17th, '05, 11:37

by PeteVu » Aug 17th, '05, 11:37

Mike B wrote: I love you, too, punkin. And that's why your mother and I have decided to send you away to a "special" school: we're worried we might love you to death or something. Don't worry. We'll pack plenty of paste for you to eat.
awwww, u knows i like my lead based paint better.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 26th, '05, 13:45

by Ponderer » Aug 26th, '05, 13:45

Well, it’s nice to see that my words have brought about such a high thinking riot.
As for the person who was wondering about my “college business,” I am not taking English; I completed the AP English course, took the AP English test, and tested out of the introductory English course. What’s the big deal? I used a word that came from SNL (a show that those of us who have a sense of humor watch) I also admit to committing such travesties as misspelling the word ulcer, and writing with out proper syntax. I was under the impression that this forum was about tea, not grammer, no, grammar.

Since this episode, I have ceased to drink tea of any kind and am now a regular patron of a national coffee vendor.

Aug 26th, '05, 14:13

by Mike B » Aug 26th, '05, 14:13

Ponderer wrote:Since this episode, I have ceased to drink tea of any kind and am now a regular patron of a national coffee vendor.
Wait...wait...this is that humor you mentioned earlier, isn't it.

I shall study your ways, as if you were a gorilla in the mist.

Aug 26th, '05, 15:12

by Ponderer » Aug 26th, '05, 15:12

No, the part you quoted is fact.

Aug 26th, '05, 16:04

by chris » Aug 26th, '05, 16:04

Oh wise and comedic Ponderer,

Not to call you out, but this all started because of this quote:
Tea is nice... I'm going to college this fall, and lot's of students are Coffeholics *yuck* after 2 cups I hava an alcer.
Looks like all this humor's added all kinds of "yucks" to your life.

Ah, well ... looks like that infamous "national coffee vendor" claims another helpless victim.

Sniff,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 26th, '05, 20:21

by PeteVu » Aug 26th, '05, 20:21

that ap english test was retarded.

+ Post Reply