Weekend TeaDays 1/8-9/11 Humor me please?!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you have a humorous or interesting tea story or stories based on personal experience (or perhaps someone you know)? Please share with us. And you have 2 days to think about this!

YES, several
7%
Yes, at least one
14%
Maybe, let me think about it
43%
I do not think so, but will think about it anyway
29%
I do not think so, period
7%
NO
No votes

Total votes: 14

Jan 8th, '11, 02:02
Scrolling: scrolling

Weekend TeaDays 1/8-9/11 Humor me please?!

by Chip » Jan 8th, '11, 02:02

Happy TeaWeekend everyone. Please drop in throughout the weekend and share what is in your cup and discuss the weekend's topic.

Friday's topic was about the first tea we purchased. You can still vote and discuss Friday's topic.

This weekends TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you have a humorous or interesting tea story based on a personal experience (or perhaps someone you know)? Please share with us. And you have 2 days to think about this!

I am looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Monday will be an OTTI day ...
:mrgreen:

Jan 8th, '11, 05:16

Re: Weekend TeaDays 1/8-9/11 Humor me please?!

by JBaymore » Jan 8th, '11, 05:16

Nothing that I can think of.

best,

...............john

Jan 8th, '11, 08:35

by Proinsias » Jan 8th, '11, 08:35

hmmmm, I'll have a think about it.

Mount Fuji sencha to kick off the teaday.

Jan 8th, '11, 08:47

by auhckw » Jan 8th, '11, 08:47

Someone bought Huang Yin (yellow mark) puerh 30 years ago. Back then it is about USD10. He bought 1 box @ 42 pieces. Left it in the living room for about 30 years.

After 30 years, they were cleaning/shifting things around and the wife said that box is a sore in her eye. She asked her husband to throw the box away.

The guy was about to throw it away when he decided not to waste it and sell it out. He brought 1 piece and went to a tea shop which offered him USD1,000 for it. He was shocked. Went home, took the rest of the box and sold it off.

The humor will be on him, if he had thrown the whole box away... unfortunately not... From then on, he bought a lot of puerh as investment and is still holding a lot of stock and hope that one day his grandchildren can share his same experience.

PS: At the moment his Huang Yin that he sold is currently USD3,000 per piece.

Jan 8th, '11, 09:50

by artmom » Jan 8th, '11, 09:50

I do not think so, but will think about it anyway. :D

Golden Lion Assam this a.m. while watching snow, again! Very unusual to have snow so often in this area; thank goodness, it isn't very much this time. More expected tomorrow and Monday. :roll:

Jan 8th, '11, 10:40

by brlarson » Jan 8th, '11, 10:40

Well, this is a little interesting as in ``Don't do this!''.

Last year I tossed a couple of hundred grams of low quality tea that was too stale to drink, dated from before I became serious about tea, down the garbage disposal. DO NOT DO THAT! It expanded in the drain pipe and was so clogged that I eventually called a plumber to clean it out. That bone-headed move cost me $150.

I haven't started composting yet but I've been thinking about it for a couple of years. One issue is that we have limited space in our kitchen and don't really have room for compost materials. We'll work it out eventually.

Ban Tian Yao from Jing this morning. Perhaps a modest Yame sencha with lunch.

Jan 8th, '11, 11:16

by Chip » Jan 8th, '11, 11:16

JBaymore wrote:Nothing that I can think of.
I am hoping that you do think of something, I am thinking that you have some interesting and/or humorous tales to tell.
Proinsias wrote:hmmmm, I'll have a think about it.
Please do! :mrgreen:
artmom wrote:I do not think so, but will think about it anyway. :D

I find this virtually impossible to believe!!! Drink some of that sencha you have to revitalize your memory! :idea: :lol:
brlarson wrote:Well, this is a little interesting as in ``Don't do this!''.
Had this not cost you 150$, this would be humorous in the past tense. :shock:

Abundant tea leaves in the sink, drain screen thingy ... this has been a topic of "discussion" many times here.

Jan 8th, '11, 11:19

by Chip » Jan 8th, '11, 11:19

OK, when I came up with this great idea for the weekend topic yesterday, I had literally been thinking of something funny that happened. I remembered the idea, which is amazing since I usually forget them unless I write it down right away (I literally repeated the idea 3 times so I would not forget) ... BUT I forgot the story!!! So, I too will be thinking!!!

The only one I could come up with right this moment is the numerous times I have driven off with a big cup of tea on the roof of the car ... sometimes remembering it before I hear the cup sliding off the roof (usually takes at least several seconds, but not long enough to do anything about it) on its way to a premature crash on the road.

Each time this happened, I said I would not do that again. :roll: :mrgreen:

Jan 8th, '11, 20:06

by Amaikokonut » Jan 8th, '11, 20:06

Amusing stories about tea.... hmmm...

Well, back in the day I had an ex that used to amuse me at my incredibly boring job by texting me several extremely short made-up-on-the-spot stories. Knowing of my tea obsession, the stories nearly all ended with, "and then they all had a tea party!" or something to that effect.

Okay, that admittedly is not terribly amusing. Maybe I'll think up something better.

Hmm... well, I once had a fish fall ill, and he spent several days resting in the corner of his little tank staring toward the bag of genmaicha I was using to block his view of the tank next to him (they're both bettas, I wanted to avoid over-exciting them) as my tea shares a bookshelf with my fish and it was just what I had on hand. We made jokes about the fish just really wanting some tea and that I clearly should just steep some leaves in his tankwater. I mean, if I was a fish I think I would enjoy swimming in tea, anyway.

..Yeah that's not too amusing either, sorry. Maybe I'll think of something better later?

Absolutely gulping down Adagio's Yunnan Jig by the mugful today. Man, I'm addicted to this stuff, and it's affordable enough that I can go nuts with it.

Jan 8th, '11, 21:24

by artmom » Jan 8th, '11, 21:24

[quote="Chip
artmom wrote:I do not think so, but will think about it anyway. :D
Chip wrote:I find this virtually impossible to believe!!! Drink some of that sencha you have to revitalize your memory! :idea: :lol:
Okay. The funniest thing I can think of is me buying all that First Flush darjeeling, etc. along with sencha and other greens , thinking that my granddaughter was learning about green teas in Japan. Then she comes home and tells me that everytime I saw her drinking tea on the webcam, she was drinking Earl Grey!!!! :shock: :lol:

Watch the Swap Shop; I'll be offering a super deal on greens and other teas that are all less than one year old and some with only one use out of them!

Jan 8th, '11, 21:52

by Squirrel » Jan 8th, '11, 21:52

Funny tea story not about me but about my older brother. He die knowing i was re-telling this tale Several years before my brother married my now sister in law she was living with him and introducing him to tea. She is from Singapore and had brought her collection. Being nice he decided one day to make her some teas with no clue grabbed some of her tea she had brought. So he makes this kettle of tea an he has no clue how to much to put in. So apparently he put this mammoth about in according to him. He makes it and before having her try he tries it. He said it was horrible and proceeds to dump it down the drain. His now what would be wife comes in and asks him what he is doing. He explains what he is doing and says he dumping it to make more. She looks what he is dumping, looks and the tea out on the table and tells him he just used tea was about $1,000 US a pound and just dumped hundreds down the train. My sister in law makes the tea now! :lol: On a good note she showed me and my family to do it the right way and also my brother. But he has to stay away from her stuff :)

Jan 8th, '11, 23:26

by debunix » Jan 8th, '11, 23:26

I don't think I have any funny tea stories. Sometimes I brew so badly it seems like a joke....but fortunately I make fewer and fewer of those errors these days. If I can think of something, I will add to it.

In the meantime, I finally put together a taste testing of three versions of Norbu's "Diamond Grade" Tie Guan Yin--my last unopened pouch of the spring 2009 (found hidden in a corner of a cabinet), some fresh 2010, and a fall 2009 that was unfortunately opened a few weeks ago, so not quite so fresh. In one sense, the joke was on me: the three teas are so similar that I can't find any differences between them. They're all simply delicious.

Jan 9th, '11, 00:05

by Skippyandjif » Jan 9th, '11, 00:05

Maybe...? There's the time one of my friends tried a blueberry-acai flavored green tea bag that my roommate had lying around, for the laughs, took one gulp, and ran into the bathroom to brush her teeth to get the taste out. It was pretty amusing because she's usually quite stoic.

Also, when my friends and I have tea parties (not the political kind, the kind with tea and snacks), a lot of hilarity ensues, but not much of it has to do with tea except for being in the same room.

Silver needle white tea all day today; chamomile with dinner; brewing some mugicha right now.

Jan 9th, '11, 00:38

by Poohblah » Jan 9th, '11, 00:38

debunix wrote:Sometimes I brew so badly it seems like a joke.
Well said. :)

Jan 9th, '11, 03:19

by Nenugal » Jan 9th, '11, 03:19

One day I asked my Chinese friend about a cheap yixing pot I got from ebay, if she could translate the characters in the stamp. She looked closely at it and said: "It says... FAMOUS FAKE TEA POT". She later admitted that she was pulling my leg, but still claimed that it was fake (probably meaning not yixing, low quality, slip cast). :lol: