Need some advice or critique on greentea shop.

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Need some advice or critique on greentea shop.

Postby Xell » Jan 10th, '11, 12:06

First short story about how i got the idea of opening tea shop in the first place. I started to consider green tea as my hobby only about half year ago. Little over month ago i got introduced to a tea shop owner, we talked a lot about green tea and also, how it's spread in country where i was living before. That's about where this idea was born. With his help i'm trying to make my hobby a bit profitable :roll: Since i'm making everything myself and i don't have experience in tea business, i would be really glad to receive some suggestions or critique on my work. To my eyes everything looks perfect :lol:

First i checked other shops available, compared prices, confirmed about shipping rules, custom duties and taxes. After this, idea was still looking quite good so i started making website, not an easy task for me. I'm thinking mostly about Russia, since japanese green tea is still quite rare and i have many friends there, my nationality is also russian. This is result that i uploaded recently - http://www.japantea.org I didn't take photos of all available items, so the choice is quite small for now

Did i miss something on my way to tea shop? All opinions are welcome
Xell
Vendor Member

Re: Need some advice or critique on greentea shop.

Postby Marco » Jan 10th, '11, 13:32

Some thoughts from me:
*Use a second picture of the tea leaves - I like seeing them when shopping.
*For the teaware it is important to know the size of the pot.
*If you get bigger you need a shopping cart system - it is all about comfort.
*You need a policy and your contact data.
*Perhaps some judicial text?

ciao
Marco
Marco

Postby iannon » Jan 10th, '11, 14:48

Marco wrote:Some thoughts from me:
*Use a second picture of the tea leaves - I like seeing them when shopping.
*For the teaware it is important to know the size of the pot.
*If you get bigger you need a shopping cart system - it is all about comfort.
*You need a policy and your contact data.
*Perhaps some judicial text?

ciao
Marco

+1 on all of the above!
iannon

Postby TwoPynts » Jan 10th, '11, 15:24

I agree with the recommendations above as well. You can use your PayPal account to create a shopping cart, it isn't too complicated. Also, I don't see a "home" link to your main page anywhere. Simple, clear navigation is essential. A store logo and/or the name of your shop would be great to have in the banner as well, not just the lovely tea plants. A common trick is to make the banner clickable to your home page.

Congratulations on your new endeavor and good luck!
TwoPynts

Postby Stentor » Jan 10th, '11, 15:45

Good luck with your business. I hope you will introduce many new people to the world of green tea!

I think you may want to target the Russian market more specifically (or even exclusively) if there is not much competition at the moment. Make the Russian customers feel taken care of. Right now it seems a little "neutral", if you know what I mean.
The international market is probably very competitive so it may be hard for you in that environment.
However, if the theme of your site was to introduce fresh and good quality Japanese green tea straight from Japan to Russian people, there would be clear focus and if I were Russian I might choose your site over others because of that.
Something like "greenteafromjapan"(in Russian).ru :)
Stentor

Postby Xell » Jan 11th, '11, 01:48

Thanks, quite many useful tips. Guess there is no other way, i need to install a shopping cart, it will also help to display more photos, such as tea leaves or already prepared cup. I'll check PayPal, didn't know they had such service.
Xell
Vendor Member

Postby Xell » Mar 17th, '11, 09:31

I tried to address most issues told here. I've moved to opencart system. Took a lot of time to think out shop name, but finally it's decided 箱庭堂 - Hakoniwado. Kanjis for this name look quite nice, have fitting meaning and also easy to remember in both languages, english and russian. It means something like small garden in a box or miniature garden (first 2 kanjis, 3 one is for shop), that's what i mean people will get in their package :lol:
Added photos of leafs to most teas and size of kyusu, but photos of all sencha's i took previously were too dark. Going to retake them soon, when my current stock of tea will be gone.

What i found out when trying to modify this site... i'm really horrible at writing descriptions, my head goes totally blank. Looks like i have to get help of a professional, if i want to make it more serious.

Some people apart from friends ordered tea and they were satisfied, so at least i think i don't have a problem on this side :)

Any more suggestions on current version? I want to keep it bilingual after all. How about colors and logo? Should i ask my friends to draw me something better or this is fine?
I want to be completely ready before shincha arrives.

p.s.
I know that situation in Japan is still far from settled, but looking at japanese people who try their best to restore everything and return to their normal lives as fast as possible, makes me feel same. And probably this can help little bit
Xell
Vendor Member

Instant Messenger

Permissions