The "Right" Way to Brew Tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 10th, '11, 16:35

The "Right" Way to Brew Tea?

by Rusaiji » Jan 10th, '11, 16:35

I recently attended a tea tasting in Chinatown and experienced the traditional Chinese method of brewing tea where they first rinse the tea, then brew it (a larger amount than the Western method suggests) for up to 20 seconds before serving it. When I asked the person serving the tea why they made tea this way, they explained that you first have to "wake up" the tea, and they brewed it for such a short time because longer brewing times killed the antioxidants and made it impossible to brew the tea multiple times (using the Chinese method, it brews up to 6 - 8 times for some teas). Since this experience, I have been wondering if I have been missing out on health benefits by brewing tea the Western way, if I have been getting more or different benefits because longer brewing time draws out more chemicals, or if it makes no difference either way. I've searched all over for an answer to this, but I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know or has this even been investigated?

Jan 10th, '11, 17:04
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: The "Right" Way to Brew Tea?

by Proinsias » Jan 10th, '11, 17:04

No idea about health benefits but brewing a lot of tea in confined space many times allows one to appreciate flavour changes in the tea as the brews progress.

A rinse is often said to wake up the tea, it's also handy to get rid of general dust or other unwanted stuff.

Jan 10th, '11, 18:16

by entropyembrace » Jan 10th, '11, 18:16

Many teas will taste better brewed the traditional ways...for Chinese teas that´s in a small vessel with a lot of leaf and short infusions.

Also 6-8 infusions is the low end...have had some oolongs and puerhs that I get over 20 infusions from.

Jan 10th, '11, 18:20

by the_economist » Jan 10th, '11, 18:20

not all teas brew the same way. i tried to brew earl grey tea gongfu style for larks. it was a disaster.

i agree with EE, take your cue from tradition. they usually make sense :)

Jan 10th, '11, 18:39

by entropyembrace » Jan 10th, '11, 18:39

the_economist wrote:not all teas brew the same way. i tried to brew earl grey tea gongfu style for larks. it was a disaster.

i agree with EE, take your cue from tradition. they usually make sense :)
earl grey is an english style tea...brew it the traditional english way :wink:

Jan 10th, '11, 19:15

by the_economist » Jan 10th, '11, 19:15

indeed...
i actually feel a little sad that i'm losing my tea roots. i began with english teas but am now entirely given over to chinese teas. trying hard to work some english tea into my routine. maybe what i need is a good bonechina tea-for-one set to entice me haha!

Jan 11th, '11, 12:53

by Alex » Jan 11th, '11, 12:53

the_economist wrote:indeed...
i actually feel a little sad that i'm losing my tea roots. i began with english teas but am now entirely given over to chinese teas. trying hard to work some english tea into my routine. maybe what i need is a good bonechina tea-for-one set to entice me haha!
I still hit up the assam dust bags with milk and sugar. Keeping it real :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply