Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby Chip » Jan 10th, '11, 15:59

EDIT 1: here is the KEY. It is not visible in case you wanted a more blind tasting ... unless you press the Quote icon like you were going to quote my post. I have posted the KEY in an almost invisible font that will show up clearly in the quote window. :lol: The KEY is located directly below this line!

Here is the KEY ... this is intentionally mixed up from page 1 for those who want a more blind tasting.

#1 is Nada's Bulang
#2 is Brandon's 8582
#3 is Brandon's Malaysian stored brick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This OTTI is closed.

You can still PM me if you want to be an alternate ... just in case.

Thanks everyone for participating! :mrgreen:

I hope you will join us for Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

As always, seating is very limited, so please PM your interest to me ASAP along with the requested information (see below). I am certain that the discussion will be as lively, interesting, enlightening, and educational as the last Pu-OTTI!

You will have to wait for a group photo as the last sample is expected to arrive Wednesday.

This is the second in a series of sheng OTTI's and promises to be an exciting one ... and educational as well!!! The first one was "new" sheng. This OTTI features 3 exceptional, very different, carefully picked selections that have had the benefit of careful (and different) aging for over 10 years. See the details on these 3 selections below.

Two TeaChat members receive kudos this time around. Brandon who pulled from his personal collection and Nada from Essense of Tea.

I usually have had prelim tastings at this point in an OTTI, but since the last sample is in transit, I have not yet this time, but the selections that are already here have beguiling aromas, I cannot wait to carefully break these apart! :mrgreen:

As we go, I will attempt to offer more information, and others will hopefully enlighten us as well.

PLEASE NOTE, THESE NUMBERS DO NOT MATCH THE NUMBERS ON THE POUCHES, INTENTIONALLY. PLEASE READ THE VERY BEGINNING OF THIS POST FOR THE "KEY" TO THE NUMBERS ON THE POUCHES!!!

Pu-erh 1 and 2 from Brandon. You can check out the link provided by Brandon and he will update this with some brewing video links he made as well. http://chahai.net/90s-puerh-tasting/

Brandon wrote:Menghai 1997 8582 "Wet Stored" - This classic Menghai recipe was stored in a more humid climate, resulting in a richer and smoother brew. And not many 'off' tastes as a result. Decent Cha Qi.

1990s Raw Puerh Brick - Stored in the dryer climate of Malaysia, this brick has a completely different flavor profile from the 8582. The leaves are pretty high quality for a brick. The brew is extremely thick, when brewed strong it may be astringent or aggressive. Color is dark orange, approaching red.

These are pretty extreme examples to highlight the differences. Both have big fans, both have their detractors. Which storage do you prefer?

Pu-erh 3 from Nada of Essense of Tea. 1997 Heng Li Chang Bulang http://www.essenceoftea.co.uk/tea/aged-puerh/1997-henglichang.html

Nada wrote:The first few infusions carry a slight bitterness - the remnants of a stronger youthful bitterness that tea from the Bulang region is famed for. This bitterness is mellowing with age and evolving into a thick smooth aged flavour. With the storage... this has been stored in Taiwan and is characteristic for teas stored in the region - neither too wet or too dry, with enough humidity to allow the teas to properly age, but still retain some complexity.

So, I hope you can join us for this exceptional 90's raw pu-erh OTTI. Please PM me asap if you are in! Include your full name, mailing address, and paypal email. If outside the USA, please include a phone number for customs! (if you do not have paypal, let me know)

Shipped Cost for this OTTI in USD.
USA members: $6.00
Canadian Members: 7.50 UDS
European Members: 9.00 USD
Most others, 11.50
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby kaminix » Jan 10th, '11, 19:02

Hope I get to take part in this one! PM sent. 8)
kaminix

Postby Shinzou » Jan 10th, '11, 19:05

I just joined and find this. Almost jumping like a kid on christmas waiting for Santa bringing the presents, hope that i can participate :-D

PM sent!
Shinzou

Postby argus » Jan 10th, '11, 19:06

ditto!

fingers crossed on hands AND feet
argus

Postby solitude » Jan 10th, '11, 19:14

Sent 00:01 easten European time, I hope I am in. :D
solitude

Postby bryan293 » Jan 10th, '11, 19:18

I hope I get in. this one is sure to be fun!
bryan293

Postby argus » Jan 10th, '11, 19:22

solitude wrote:Sent 00:01 easten European time, I hope I am in. :D

I sent 00:00 :mrgreen:
argus

Postby TwoPynts » Jan 10th, '11, 19:33

PMed.
Fingers crossed! :D
TwoPynts

Postby Bryan_drinks_te... » Jan 10th, '11, 19:35

I dunno what the outcome will be. whatever happens, I will be happy :)
Bryan_drinks_te...

Postby TubbyCow » Jan 10th, '11, 19:56

Joined and paid. Now I only have to wait. :D
TubbyCow

Postby rdwrer » Jan 10th, '11, 20:20

the waiting is the hardest part :(
rdwrer

Postby shah82 » Jan 10th, '11, 20:26

Decided not to join. I've had old sheng, and still have a bit of it, and other people who's never had any should get a chance.
shah82

Postby JRS22 » Jan 10th, '11, 20:35

Joined and paid. Now I'll just have to content myself with some toddler loose puer while I wait.
JRS22

Postby Chip » Jan 10th, '11, 21:01

OK, if you PMed me, you should have received the obligatory form PM from me. If you did not, PM me RIGHT AWAY.

Should nickname this OTTI Tsunami! That was quite a wave of PMs.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jan 10th, '11, 23:24

Pardon the impersonal PM responses. Thanks for all the replies!!! :mrgreen:

Hopefully everyone who PMed me received a reply.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions