After reading the topic, please simply answer whether to commission Eiichi or not to commission?

YES, Commission
92%
NO, DO NOT Commission
8%

Total votes: 37

Jan 11th, '11, 20:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Hagi Think Tank 2 Commissioning a Hagi SO

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 20:44

Hagi Think Tank 2 Commissioning a Hagi SO

As many of you already know, the Hagi SO pieces are far from accidental.

Currently there are generally 3 integral people envolved.

The artisan, it all starts there.

Mago, he works personally with these artisans and is integral to the SO's success. Nothing you see in an SO is picked out of a catalog, these are all custom made pieces created for TeaChatters with the goal of sharing Japanese teaware culture with the international community.

Moi. I work hand in hand with Mago and the artisan to create SO's that are not only "special" but unique and truly different and hopefully spectacular. Often I am very involved in the design work, selecting/creating a glaze, a style, the actual clay to be used, a size, the X factor, in combination. And then negotiate the price point to be below a perceived market value for such a unique piece.

I have never just said, "tell Yamane-San to make us something." I maintain a level of control of the process in order to maintain the overall integrity of the SO program. All the while allowing for the creativity and the uniquely Japanese nature of Hagi.

Jan 11th, '11, 20:45

Re: Hagi Think Tank 2 Commissioning a Hagi SO

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 20:45

However ... I am very seriously considering a commissioned SO from Eiichi. I feel his youth and fire comes across in really amazing works of TeaArt. He has learned from his grandfather Shibuya Deishi and is poised to jump to master himself. Case and point, "SnowDrifts" are absolutely spectacular. The skill and artistic talent belies his youth.

What I am considering is giving Eiichi virtual control to create a Hagi SO, a Hagi Commission Special Offer, just ask him to be creative. He would still need to create somewhat similar pieces.

Jan 11th, '11, 20:48

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 20:48

So, having read all this, what do you think of the idea?

I ask because this would include members who are willing to step out in faith and say, "YES, count me in!" Literally. I would require a commitment from X number of members who want to participate in something that I believe could be truly unique and special. A price restriction would be set in advance, and a deposit would be asked of those who say yes.

If the deal falls through prior to completion, all monies would be returned. However if the commissioned pieces are completed as planned, "we" would be counting on you to make final payment, and the deposit would be nonrefundable.

Jan 11th, '11, 20:53

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 20:53

Due to the unique nature of the SO, a different methodology would have to be adopted for members' selection of their pieces, I would propose a combination of the current process where individual members pick out 3 pieces and their final selection is based on first come, first served.

But instead, in the case of multiple members selecting the same piece, there would be a drawing for that piece. No first come first served since it is not practical.

If you win the drawing, you win that piece. If you lose, then you would be looking at your second choice, etc.

Amazingly BTW, all but 1 or 2 members received their first pick for SnowDrift!

Jan 11th, '11, 20:54

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 20:54

So, there you go. What say you members of TeaChat? :mrgreen:

Jan 11th, '11, 23:19

by AdamMY » Jan 11th, '11, 23:19

I think you alluded to an answer to this, but I just want to be sure, this commissioned work would be completely unique, as in it is not really something we have seen before on Mago, and it would still be under the current restriction from Mago for the time needed to pass before similar pieces can show up on Mago?

I have more to say but I'm trying to figure out how to best word it right now, and that answer might effect it a little bit.

Jan 11th, '11, 23:24
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 11th, '11, 23:24

Any chance of seeing photos of some of his pieces? I'm curious to see what his previously made pieces are like.

Jan 11th, '11, 23:29

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 23:29

Adam,

The goal is to instruct Eiichi ... encourage would be a better word ... to use his creative energy to create a unique and new piece.

I would request that this piece remain unique for a period of time TBD, negotiated. Keep in mind, the longer the time period of exclusivity, the more expensive the piece would be. This is a simple reality.

However, this could also be a new launching point for new pieces to be created by Eiichi after the commissioning. We would be a pivotal part of this process. We might see pieces years later that we can still see the influence of the commissioned work.

I think ... :mrgreen:

Jan 11th, '11, 23:32

by iannon » Jan 11th, '11, 23:32

IPT wrote:Any chance of seeing photos of some of his pieces? I'm curious to see what his previously made pieces are like.
well.theres the other piece I have..someone just quoted it recently in the hagi topic..
well..here:
and these have popped up a couple times
Last edited by iannon on Jan 11th, '11, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 11th, '11, 23:32

by Chip » Jan 11th, '11, 23:32

IPT,

Iannon I am sure will share his one piece. I have some photos of one other style.

His work is generally edgy, out of the box. Though Ian's is not really.

EDIT: oops, Ian beat me to it. :mrgreen: The last photo is called the ROCK, it is fired at least 3 times.

Jan 12th, '11, 00:07
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 12th, '11, 00:07

Thank you guys.

Those are pretty cool Iannon! I like them both.

Jan 12th, '11, 00:29

by kymidwife » Jan 12th, '11, 00:29

You know me, I am pretty much always sort of "in" as long as the price is not prohibitive. I'd also like/hope to have some ballpark idea of size/volume before committing and making a deposit. Practically speaking, I don't use the smaller cups very often, and this might be a factor that would help me determine if the purchase is justified.

Jan 12th, '11, 00:34

by Chip » Jan 12th, '11, 00:34

Range in size(s) would definitely be one aspect that would have to be predetermined.

Jan 12th, '11, 03:38

by Nenugal » Jan 12th, '11, 03:38

This sounds very interesting; depending on (at least some hints about) the price and size/shape I'm generally enthusiastic about participation in this :)

Jan 12th, '11, 06:56

by Drax » Jan 12th, '11, 06:56

YES.

I could elaborate, but I think that covers it. :D

+ Post Reply