Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby Proinsias » Jan 12th, '11, 14:55

Yeah, I thought Stéphane had little pots too. He might be another person worth emailing, I love the sheng pot I got from him a few years ago.
Proinsias

Postby Marco » Jan 12th, '11, 16:18

brandon wrote:
Noahnoir wrote:the seats are already taken, arent they?

i have an interest in this OTTI, but i have no experience with this tea.
what teaware are recommend for Pu-Erh?

Samples 1 and 3 - Purple clay teapot preferred.
Sample 2 - Gaiwan.

Why do you recommend this Brandon? Pot for wet stored and Gaiwan for dry stored?
Marco

Postby brandon » Jan 12th, '11, 16:38

Marco wrote:
brandon wrote:
Noahnoir wrote:the seats are already taken, arent they?

i have an interest in this OTTI, but i have no experience with this tea.
what teaware are recommend for Pu-Erh?

Samples 1 and 3 - Purple clay teapot preferred.
Sample 2 - Gaiwan.

Why do you recommend this Brandon? Pot for wet stored and Gaiwan for dry stored?

Well, I am basing my recommendation on the specific samples. The MY stored brick (tighter compression, less humid) is a much less 'mature' tea.

It do not really want it mixing in my 'aged' sheng pot, and the pot is probably not the best fit for it anyway. I use a gaiwan here.
brandon

Postby Chip » Jan 12th, '11, 16:53

Gotta love Federal Express ... I was literally 25 feet from the front door when I heard the storm door rattle slightly ... sort of. Looked over moments later to see the FE guy jump in his van and fly away ... leaving the infamous signature card on the door.

So, might be picking up Nada's package tonight from their depot.

OK, I do not love FE, they are the worst of the worst around here. :evil:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby guitar9876 » Jan 12th, '11, 17:47

Curses!! :evil: :evil:
guitar9876

Postby TwoPynts » Jan 13th, '11, 11:06

Thankfully the FE team in this area is a bit more responsible. Sorry to hear it.
TwoPynts

Postby Chip » Jan 13th, '11, 19:09

UPS is much better here than FE. It has been this way for years. I really don't get what their problem is. Should get Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt on the case!!! :twisted:

So, not leaving anything to chance ... went to pick the package up. Saw the same sweet lady who has run the same counter ever since there was FE. She found the package, no problem ...

Nowwwww, do you want to hear the rest of the story? (Paul Harveyism) :?: :arrow: :shock:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby brandon » Jan 13th, '11, 19:48

Chip wrote:UPS is much better here than FE. It has been this way for years. I really don't get what their problem is. Should get Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt on the case!!! :twisted:

So, not leaving anything to chance ... went to pick the package up. Saw the same sweet lady who has run the same counter ever since there was FE. She found the package, no problem ...

Nowwwww, do you want to hear the rest of the story? (Paul Harveyism) :?: :arrow: :shock:

Yes...
brandon

Postby Nenugal » Jan 14th, '11, 03:35

brandon wrote:
Chip wrote:UPS is much better here than FE. It has been this way for years. I really don't get what their problem is. Should get Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt on the case!!! :twisted:

Yes...

+1
Nenugal

Postby brandon » Jan 14th, '11, 08:00

Comparison in closeup, discussion by example...

On the right is the 2nd sample of the OTTI, Malaysia stored late 90s brick.
On the left is a blended tea brick from 2005.

So when comparing the MY brick to the Hong Kong and Taiwan stored cakes (and indeed, bricks age at a slightly different rate themselves), it will seem very youthful. If you already have the experience, or can compare it to a later 2000s era product, you will clearly see the many changes occurring in the MY sample. It is just on a different trajectory than teas stored elsewhere.

All photos I take for this OTTI can be viewed in full size here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrongfucha ... 695291883/
brandon

Postby brandon » Jan 14th, '11, 08:26

8582 wet stored (left) next to 90s MY brick (right). The photo did not come out as well as I hoped. I do not think I can illustrate the 'glossier' leaves of the brick.

But you will probably notice that compared to the current crop of Dayi products, compression of the cake is very loose and the edge is coming apart just by handling it.

You might also notice that the wet stored cake has 'white frost.' This mold is considered beneficial to the tea, and harmless to you. If you like cheese, you are probably already used to this.
brandon

Postby brandon » Jan 14th, '11, 10:21

I updated my Puerh OTTI landing page - http://chahai.net/90s-puerh-tasting/

It includes all the details to date, plus a short video lesson on brewing the tea. This should be applicable to Nada's tea also.

I brew the other tea somewhat differently, and the colors and flavors are definitely not comparable. I should have some brewing info on that posted soon.

When I get some of Nada's sample, I will put a bit of reference info on my page also. I hate searching through a 10 page thread for things.
brandon

Postby TwoPynts » Jan 14th, '11, 10:59

Good page Brandon, thank for doing that. The video is not showing up, but that is probably because I'm behind my work's firewall.
TwoPynts

Postby Chip » Jan 14th, '11, 14:55

Awesome and thanks Brandon!!! I am certain this will be very helpful and informative.

Nenugal wrote:
brandon wrote:
Chip wrote:So, not leaving anything to chance ... went to pick the package up. Saw the same sweet lady who has run the same counter ever since there was FE. She found the package, no problem ...

Yes...

+1

So, as I mentioned, I picked this up at the depot, and the same nice lady I have dealt with ever since FE came into existence assisted me (she looks like Helen Hunt 8) ). After she retrieved my package from Nada/Essence of Tea, as she was looking at the paperwork, she informed me that there were notes of odors emanating from the package (btw, found out for the first time that she also knew a little about tea).

Now I pride myself in having a pretty keen sense of smell, especially where tea is involved, but I was shocked that anyone would have picked up any aroma given that it was not strong at all. Do they have Pu smelling dogs or what? :lol:

Still more ... still want to know the rest of the story?
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby guitar9876 » Jan 14th, '11, 15:17

Brandon, I've got a question on water temp. If the water temp is close to boiling, doesn't that mean that there should be some visible motion in the kettle i.e. largish bubbles rising? Lately when I've been brewing pu or oolong, in between each infusion I've been turning on my electric kettle just for a few seconds or so just till I start to see small bubbles rising. Maybe I've been brewing it too hot?
guitar9876

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions