Thursday TeaDay 1/13/11 Luck of the brew?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Lucky 13 days into 2011, does luck come into play in any aspect of your TeaEnjoyment including the purchasing, brewing, imbibing, even swapping, etc. etc. Please share.

Most definitely
16%
A little
28%
Maybe
20%
Not really
4%
Certainly not
12%
Had not thought about it
8%
"What's luck got to do, got to do with it"
12%

Total votes: 25

Jan 13th, '11, 01:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 13th, '11, 01:27

It is TeaDay Thursday, please feel free to celebrate TeaDay by sharing with us what is in your cup throughout the day.

Yesterday we discussed "is your fave tea for the new year also the tea you have most often?" You can still vote and discuss the topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Lucky 13 days into 2011, does luck come into play in any aspect of your TeaEnjoyment including the purchasing, brewing, imbibing, even swapping, etc. etc. Please share.

I am definitely looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Jan 13th, '11, 01:28

by Chip » Jan 13th, '11, 01:28

ALSO:
Chip wrote:Announcement!!! TeaDay Contest January 2011!

Kramer wrote:Who wants to have some fun!?!

Commencing on January 6th, be sure to post often and daily in TeaDay.
Details and prizes to follow in a few! :wink:
Contest ends at midnight on January 31st Eastern USA time.

Prizes will be awarded for various categories, so be sure to answer the poll, tell us what you are drinking throughout the day, discuss the topic, and post pictures! You know, "TeaChat!" The more you post ...
:idea:

Jan 13th, '11, 02:17

Re: Thursday TeaDay 1/13/11 Luck of the brew?

by auhckw » Jan 13th, '11, 02:17

Some people are lucky to have managed to find 'left aside and forgotten' puerh, liu bao, liu an, teapots by their older generations...

I am of not that lucky in that area...

Jan 13th, '11, 03:10

by Nenugal » Jan 13th, '11, 03:10

I depend a bit on luck when it comes to trying new types of tea; even after recommendations from experts here on TC, reviews and pictures, there is still an element of luck to getting something I really like when buying something "blind" from a webshop in Japan or China. Luck is also an aspect of brewing for me. I don't use exact measures of leaf or water, I depend on instinct when it comes to temperature, and maybe a glance at my wristwatch for time. Also, luck is definitely there when good friends bring me tea that is really tasty, that I would otherwise not have got a chance to try. Sometimes luck brings me into a happy mood that makes me appreciate the tea even more than usual. So YES luck is important :)
Just finished my morning matcha. I really need a better chawan now that matcha has developed into a regular habit...

Jan 13th, '11, 05:48

by JBaymore » Jan 13th, '11, 05:48

I prefer to call it "serendipity". :wink:

best,

..........john

Jan 13th, '11, 09:22

by Chip » Jan 13th, '11, 09:22

John, serendipity is a good word, but for another TD! :mrgreen:

I try not to allow much luck into the equation. If anything, I over analyze every tea acquisition. But no doubt, a little luck likely creeps in since I cannot control what is happening 10,000 miles away.

Began the TD with the last of two asamushi with the Mrs. ... sooo, lucky me, I will get to open a new package of asamushi!!!

Hopefully will be lucky enough to have some decent tea on the road today!

Maybe there is more luck than I realize ...

Jan 13th, '11, 09:33

by andie923 » Jan 13th, '11, 09:33

Chip wrote: I try not to allow much luck into the equation. If anything, I over analyze every tea acquisition. But no doubt, a little luck likely creeps in since I cannot control what is happening 10,000 miles away.
Never thought about luck in relation to tea..I seem to think of brewing, buying tea is all about skill and experience.. But this is a good point.. Maybe there is luck involved with the things going on with the tea before you buy it.

Jan 13th, '11, 09:56

by TwoPynts » Jan 13th, '11, 09:56

There is always a little luck involved...
:wink:

Jan 13th, '11, 13:01

by grammyof6 » Jan 13th, '11, 13:01

Many of my teaware purchases are lucky ones because most come from auctions, antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets and ebay. Just being at the right place at the right time seems lucky to me. Like the day I found a teapot at a thrift store marked $3.49, after bringing it home it appears to have a value of almost $350.00. At a yard sale I found a quite dirty but very rare and perfect Shelley cup for $2.00. I kept hoping to find the match and year and a half later I found a matching orphan saucer on ebay for $5.00. The value of the set is now $329.00.
When it comes to tea I feel lucky if I order without being able to taste it and really like it. But if I don't enjoy it I'm lucky to have family and friends to give it to that love trying new teas.

Had my golden monkey tea in a Royal Albert Crown China cup this morning.

Jan 13th, '11, 13:06

by msurads06 » Jan 13th, '11, 13:06

I think there is definatly luck involved with my tea brewing. i faithfully weigh the tea but water temp and time i tend to be lax on, with time being the one most likely to be messed up. I also depend on alot of luck when ordering new teas to be tried, teachat has been helpful here in recomending teas/vendors, but there is definately alot of luck since i rarely order the same tea twice.

Starting out with 06 shu this morning.

Jan 13th, '11, 17:29

by Peacock » Jan 13th, '11, 17:29

Mostly skill and experience. Luck comes in when I purchase tea I've never tasted, but then again that can be related to your experience in tasting the different types of tea. There's a "lucky" buy when you score a new teapot online that becomes your new favorite and there's that lucky vendor you find on google or on TeaChat. :D

Jan 13th, '11, 20:25

by debunix » Jan 13th, '11, 20:25

Luck is always an element, because there are so many things that can contribute to the quality of a tea that I am buying, or making, or drinking, and I can only control some of them some of the time.

The more experience I get, on the whole, the better my brewing becomes, but I still mess things up at times, and I was just realizing now that the last time I worked three days at this office, I did not brew even one batch of tea that seemed good enough to share with my tea-friend down the hall, but this time, it's been one hit after another--a nice batch of spring 2009 Diamond TGY from Norbu this morning, and a good batch of 2008 Yi Wu bamboo aged puerh this afternoon.

Lots of skill and practice and patience, but still, a good dollop of luck for the best tea experiences.

And a neat little bonus today: I was talking to another tea-friend in this office yesterday, sharing a cup of puerh with her, and she mentioned that her mother was visiting and they enjoyed sharing a cup of tea in the evenings. So I gave her a little bag of Ya Bao wild tea buds to share, and this morning she told me how much they enjoyed that. Tonight I sent a little bit of Yunnan Mao Feng--trying to pick some of the more unusual teas in the limited selection I keep here. Tomorrow, maybe I'll send a little bag of the Diamond TGY.

Jan 13th, '11, 22:47

by Amaikokonut » Jan 13th, '11, 22:47

I really have not though much about it. But I guess it often does play a part, as I don't tend to really get terribly scientific about my brewing parameters.

I actually only just got off work and have yet to drag my feet over to the kettle to make any sort of tea. So. Tired.

Jan 13th, '11, 22:56

by Skippyandjif » Jan 13th, '11, 22:56

A little-- this year I've been trying some teas I've never had before, that my mother got me for Christmas, so I suppose there's some luck involved as to whether or not I like it...? The teas are all greens, whites, a matcha, and a chrysanthemum pu-erh though, so they're all pretty sure successes.

I've been drinking jasmine sencha all day, as i had to pack most of my tea up (travelling down to NYC to visit my father tomorrow). But it's fine, I love jasmine sencha.

Jan 13th, '11, 23:36

by brad4419 » Jan 13th, '11, 23:36

No luck

republic of tea merchant green tea today