After reading the topic, please simply answer whether to commission Eiichi or not to commission?

YES, Commission
92%
NO, DO NOT Commission
8%

Total votes: 37

Jan 12th, '11, 23:26

Re: Hagi Think Tank 2 Commissioning a Hagi SO

by debunix » Jan 12th, '11, 23:26

Size would be the most important consideration for me as well, because I'm not particularly worried about matching color or shape and am happy building a small collection of distinctly interesting pieces--and fortunately my tea-drinking and sharing is spread out widely enough to justify a few more pieces here and there (my 'Snowdrifts' Hagi has just come to live at a satellite office where I am only present a few days a month, but as the only resident Hagi, it will get a lot of use during those days.

Jan 13th, '11, 13:19

by Abracadaver! » Jan 13th, '11, 13:19

I've passed up on the last two offers due to the financial strain of the holidays, but I'm 100% in for this one. Besides, I like Eiichi's work and I like surprises.

Jan 13th, '11, 13:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Jan 13th, '11, 13:58

I am very confident in Eiichi to come up with something great for this.
He has that creativity, that spark, that fire.
And "Snowdrift" is just stunning.
Count me in!

As far as my preferences go, you can never have enough yunomi or wan style cups. I don't think a guinomi would be the best choice for this since it's a smaller canvas for him to be creative with.
If we really want to let him be able to go all out, we might have to let him make a chawan, which will be expensive. Depending on how expensive, I'd be OK with it.

I love his rock surface style as well. I also regret not picking one up when they were available. Glad to hear this is planned as an SO.

Jan 13th, '11, 18:04

by Chip » Jan 13th, '11, 18:04

Based on PMs received regarding the ROCK, we are really close to the 10 preorders I was looking for ...

Should have added a poll to this topic regarding the commissioning of a piece, might still do it, though I sense a lot of positive responses so far!

Thanks, keep posting!

Jan 13th, '11, 18:10

by skarphedin » Jan 13th, '11, 18:10

This sounds interesting.

Jan 13th, '11, 20:55

by Chip » Jan 13th, '11, 20:55

Poll added, PLEEZE respond!

Thank you in advance.
:mrgreen:

Jan 13th, '11, 21:03

by debunix » Jan 13th, '11, 21:03

Not sure how to answer the poll. I'd like to know size/volume before committing, because cups of the wrong size mostly sit on the shelf. And I want mine to spend more time in my hand, wher ei can enjoy the soft feel of the rough-looking cup like my snowdrifts....

Answering yes, to the basic idea of commissioning a piece from someone making such lovely stuff, although if it ended up a large chawan it might end up being used as a serving bowl rather than a teacup....at least until I see the light on matcha!

Jan 13th, '11, 21:13

by Chip » Jan 13th, '11, 21:13

debunix wrote:Not sure how to answer the poll. I'd like to know size/volume before committing, because cups of the wrong size mostly sit on the shelf. And I want mine to spend more time in my hand, wher ei can enjoy the soft feel of the rough-looking cup like my snowdrifts....

Answering yes, to the basic idea of commissioning a piece from someone making such lovely stuff, although if it ended up a large chawan it might end up being used as a serving bowl rather than a teacup....at least until I see the light on matcha!
I mention sizing several times in this topic. I would likely request a variety of sizes to make it more universally appealing. More likely yunomi or ippuku-wan sizing, though maybe a few guinomi thrown in. :mrgreen:

Chawan commission would also be out of the price restriction ... in all likelihood.

Jan 14th, '11, 21:14

by mlafranc » Jan 14th, '11, 21:14

I've never bought a Hagi before, but the Rock looks mighty cool to me.

For the less sophisticated among us, I hope you'll explain these size differences in layman's terms.

Mary,
whose tea set-up is an infuser and a coffee mug

Jan 14th, '11, 21:50

by Chip » Jan 14th, '11, 21:50

mlafranc wrote:I've never bought a Hagi before, but the Rock looks mighty cool to me.

For the less sophisticated among us, I hope you'll explain these size differences in layman's terms.

Mary,
whose tea set-up is an infuser and a coffee mug
I would say the average size for the ROCK would be 3" X 3" with variations in size ... up and down ... and shape ... some would be tapered like the "SnowDrifts" by Eiichi (see the Hagi SO 14 topic in the forum) while others would be more cylindrical.

If interested in committing to a ROCK, please PM me.

So far I have received 10 commitments for the ROCK. There will likely be 15-20 pieces in this SSO (super special offering).

Remember, the ROCK is NOT the Commissioned SO. This topic seems to have split into two discussions. :mrgreen:

Jan 14th, '11, 21:55

by Chip » Jan 14th, '11, 21:55

Well, at a vote of 15-0 in favor of a Commissioned Eiichi SO, you have spoken loud and clear.

I am therefore going to take two initiatives.

1) The ROCK. I will proceed with Eiichi's ROCK Hagi SSO. Again, please PM your commitment to me.

2) I will proceed with talks regarding an Eiichi Commissioned Hagi SO. I will post updates on this project in this topic. If you want to commit to a Commissioned Eiichi, please PM me.

Shuweet! :mrgreen:

Jan 14th, '11, 23:15

by mlafranc » Jan 14th, '11, 23:15

Where is the information about the Rock? All I see in this thread is one picture. Is there a separate thread describing this offer?

Jan 14th, '11, 23:26

by Chip » Jan 14th, '11, 23:26

mlafranc wrote:Where is the information about the Rock? All I see in this thread is one picture. Is there a separate thread describing this offer?
Unfortunately, there is little information available.

Eiichi is the grandson of Shibuya Deishi, a Hagi master. He is under his tutilage, but is showing a talent and style that some may already prefer.

The ROCK has gone through a pretty complicated process in order to achieve it appearance. I believe I already posted this, but it has gone through at least 3 firings. Here is from my previous post regarding the making of a ROCK.
My understanding of the ROCK ... it takes at least 3 firings to make the ROCK. The inside is wheeled I believe and fired, it has a white glazed interior (straw ash I believe). Then the dark rough surface is applied and fired, and then finally the straw ash white glaze on the exterior ... and fired again. Something like that.

So, like the SnowDrift, the interior is wheeled, and then the exterior is hand worked and carved ...

But they have had a white glazed interior, which I would likely spec.

Jan 14th, '11, 23:29

by mlafranc » Jan 14th, '11, 23:29

Thank you. Is there any information about price?

Jan 14th, '11, 23:32

by Chip » Jan 14th, '11, 23:32

mlafranc wrote:Thank you. Is there any information about price?
The price is still TBD, I have a target.

+ Post Reply