removing caffeine from regular tea

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jun 7th, '05, 15:48
Mod/Admin

removing caffeine from regular tea

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 15:48

I read an article at teatimeworldwide.com about removing the caffeine from "regular" tea. 80% of the caffeine is released from the leaves in the first 30 seconds. So all you have to do is steep for 30 seconds and then discard the water and steep again. This way you can enjoy your favorite tea without buying special "decaf" tea. Also if you reuse the leaves like I do only the first cup has the caffeine. Sounds pretty simple to me. Hope this is helpfull.

Lori Noble

Mod/Admin

I have been told chemicals are use to remove
caffeine from tea. Is this correct .
If so could this cause health problems.?

Carol Conrod

Mod/Admin

Carol--

Actually, there are two different ways a that tea can be decaffeinated. the first is a chemical process using a chemical compound called ethyl acetate. the second is simply introducing the leaves to CO2 gas. The first is what most companies use (because it's cheaper), but can leave chemicals. The second is much safer, but more expensive for companies (this is what adagio uses).
There is also a third option called "home decaffeination" in which regular (caffeinated) tea leaves are infused and then infused again ... the second batch is almost completely caffeine-free (just as close as those other processes can get!). Companies cannot use this method due to the fact that the leaves have a very short drinking life after they have been infused.

Hope this helps,

Chris Cason
Adagio Maestro

http://www.adagio.com

Jun 22nd, '05, 05:33

by Guest » Jun 22nd, '05, 05:33

Would the home decaf process make the tea lose some of its benefits too? Since I read somewhere the decaf teas have less polyphenols than non-decaf teas. I'm mainly drinking the teas for their health benefits but don't want the harmful effects of caffeine, so I'm trying to find a way to achieve both.

Jun 22nd, '05, 09:12

by chris » Jun 22nd, '05, 09:12

Thanks for the note.

Some of the benefits are lost, yes. If you're looking for a caffeine-free "tea" that is high in health-inducing antioxidants, I'd recommend Rooibos. Studies are showing that there are as many (if not more) antioxidants in Rooibos than in green tea. Here is the link for a great one:

http://www.adagio.com/rooibos/rooibos.html

Enjoy,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Jun 22nd, '05, 21:00

by mel » Jun 22nd, '05, 21:00

How much polyphenols are lost in the first 30 seconds of initial steeping? If 80% of caffeine is released during that time, how much of the benefits are lost at the same time? I'm seriously considering rooibos, but I love my tea too, so I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to steep it for 30 seconds to get rid of most of the caffeine because I'd much rather have some caffeine and more benefits vs. no caffeine and no benefits. Thanks!

Jun 23rd, '05, 10:19

by chris » Jun 23rd, '05, 10:19

Thanks for the reply.

Very few studies have been done about this, but from the little I've found, it seems that a proportional amount of health-inducing agents are released in the first 30 seconds.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 16th, '05, 22:20

by teaspoon » Aug 16th, '05, 22:20

Maybe this is laboring the point, but one more question on this. I notice you're saying that the polyphenols are lost with the caffeine, but are the flavonoids or whatever it is that boosts metabolism lost too? I'm wondering because I don't need my metabolism to go any faster, I actually need it to slow down so I stop losing weight I don't have to spare. But I don't want to give up my tea!!!

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 17th, '05, 09:47

by Mike B » Aug 17th, '05, 09:47

teaspoon wrote:Maybe this is laboring the point, but one more question on this. I notice you're saying that the polyphenols are lost with the caffeine, but are the flavonoids or whatever it is that boosts metabolism lost too?
I feel like I've walked into some 16-year-old's basement in time to moderate some kind of D&D/Sci-Fi debate that's about to turn to fisticuffs. Or at least a stern dressing down by the Dungeon Master.

Polyphenols? Flavonoids? Can't you guys live in peace on the planet Incomprehensibilia? Guys, you totally need to hug.

Aug 17th, '05, 11:32

by PeteVu » Aug 17th, '05, 11:32

Mike B wrote:I feel like I've walked into some 16-year-old's basement in time to moderate some kind of D&D/Sci-Fi debate that's about to turn to fisticuffs. Or at least a stern dressing down by the Dungeon Master.

Polyphenols? Flavonoids? Can't you guys live in peace on the planet Incomprehensibilia? Guys, you totally need to hug.
only 16 year old NERDS use those insane/useless chemistry terminology. Personally, I fear them because i do not understand them. I best go analyze victorian literature, lest i sh** myself. =D
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 17th, '05, 12:27

by chris » Aug 17th, '05, 12:27

I think we alllllll need to take a sip of Chamomile and cut the hostility! :x

This is supposed to be fun fellas! :) :D :lol:

Aug 17th, '05, 12:39

by chris » Aug 17th, '05, 12:39

To finish off the thread: yes, the flavinoids are mostly lost too.

From the few scientific studies found on the subject, it seems that most of the elements with nutritive value arrive in the first cup (as well as much of the flavor).

Now, please hand me that 20-sided die,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 17th, '05, 13:22

by teaspoon » Aug 17th, '05, 13:22

w00t! Thanks for the info, Chris!

By the way, here's your d20, anybody seen my red velvet d10 with the gold numbers?

~teh g33ky teasp00n
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 17th, '05, 14:40

by jzero » Aug 17th, '05, 14:40

This seems like the perfect place for
LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

Jzero "I may be a geek, but at least I'm not a LARPer"
They Call Me Jzero

+ Post Reply