PU for NewBs Challenge

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 25th, '11, 03:05

PU for NewBs Challenge

by gene3627 » Jan 25th, '11, 03:05

Interesting discussions recently on pu. I’m new to pu and I see a recurring theme from others – where do I start? Lots of notes and threads out there on this and other forums. But, for us Noobies ….

What shu and sheng are you drinking (or actually tasted) that you would recommend Noobies try:

You like – it’s good.

You would buy again.

Is available.

Maybe less than $40 per 357g cake.

Really appreciate any recommendations!!!!!

Jan 25th, '11, 23:54

Re: PU for NewBs Challenge

by heatwaves » Jan 25th, '11, 23:54

Ultimately, taste is a very personal thing. What one person raves about, another will rant about. In addition to the cake, there are a lot of external factors such as the water in your area, brewing method, brewing time, etc.

Instead of my personal favorites, I'd recommend that you buy as many samples as possible from the major sources (Yunnan Sourcing, Jas e Tea, Puerh Shop, Red Dragon Tea, Essence of Tea, etc) and decide for yourself what you like. I would recommend that you try samples from different factories and different regions, as there is considerable variation in processing and leaf flavor profiles. After about eight years of drinking puercha, I've only recently discovered that I'm really drawn to cakes from the Bingdao area. Your learning curve may accelerate considerably from the increased availability of samples. When I began, I blindly bought whole cakes and have a considerable amount of mediocre puerh.

However, if you still really want to leap in and buy cakes, I've recently really enjoyed...
2007 Mengku Wild Arbor King (Jas e tea, Yunnan Sourcing, etc)
2010 Mansai (Essence of Tea)
2010 Yunnan Sourcing Bang Dong Village (Yunnan Sourcing)
2010 Yunnan Sourcing Gua Feng Zhai (Yunnan Sourcing)
(FYI... I tried all of the 2010 Yunnan Sourcing cakes -- except their 'Autumn Harvest' ones-- and the above two were my favorite)

You could also try affordable, tasty basics from
Menghai (7532, 7542) (Available just about everywhere)
Xiaguan (Happy Tuo, Mushroom Tuo) (ditto)

Hope this helps!

Jan 26th, '11, 00:19

by bearsbearsbears » Jan 26th, '11, 00:19

gene3627 wrote:What shu and sheng are you drinking (or actually tasted) that you would recommend Noobies try:

You like – it’s good.
You would buy again.
Is available.
Hi Gene! Welcome to the terrible addiction of pu'er. My suggestions for beginners are here: http://puerh.blogspot.com/2005/05/sugge ... nners.html

This includes suggestions about how to approach pu'er as well as suggestions for teas to try.

Hope this is helpful.

Jan 26th, '11, 10:48

by TwoPynts » Jan 26th, '11, 10:48

Good recommendations all. Samples is the best way for "noobs" to figure out what kind of Pu-erh they like.

I would recommend this one as well: http://www.jas-etea.com/products/2007-M ... grams.html

Jan 26th, '11, 15:02

by Tea_Rex » Jan 26th, '11, 15:02

I'm new to puer also and often find the puer threads confusing since there is so much knowledge I lack in that area. And all of the puer I had tasted up until two weeks ago had that potting soil/pond slime tatse.

But I decided to give it one more try with a different vendor and went to Puer Shop and bought 7 samples (and a strainer) for a total of $31.85 including shipping. So far I have tried three and liked them - none of that dirt taste in any of them. One of them in particular I liked enough that I ordered the brick: 2004 Old Youle Ripe Pu-erh Tea Brick Sampler ($2.79 for the sample). By the way, I was surprised at how big the samples are.

I start brewing kind of light to judge by pictures of brewed puer I see here and elsewhere, but I find that lets me taste the flavors better to begin with. Then I can identify them when I increase the strength of my brew as I go along. I just said to a friend at work that I can't believe I am finally drinking a puer I like, but I am.

Jan 26th, '11, 16:41

by Marco » Jan 26th, '11, 16:41

bearsbearsbears wrote:
gene3627 wrote:What shu and sheng are you drinking (or actually tasted) that you would recommend Noobies try:

You like – it’s good.
You would buy again.
Is available.
Hi Gene! Welcome to the terrible addiction of pu'er. My suggestions for beginners are here: http://puerh.blogspot.com/2005/05/sugge ... nners.html

This includes suggestions about how to approach pu'er as well as suggestions for teas to try.

Hope this is helpful.
+1 on this :)
great beginner suggestions - searching the web I really liked finding some tips that have been not only general advises

And one more thing - ask a good vendor what you should try from him. Vendorlist here on Teachat. And the answer will tell you a lot - even some things about with whom you will deal :)

+ Post Reply