Weekend TeaDays 1/29-30/11 Fear not ...

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

A "fun" two fold topic for the weekend. First, TeaFears, and discuss. Secondly, general fears, if you are like me, you can grin and share them. See the topic for link to a loooong list.

Fear of breaking teaware
26%
Fear of brewing wrong
6%
Fear of running out of tea
10%
Fear of not having enough tea on hand
9%
Fear of having too much tea open
11%
Fear of improper storage of tea
8%
Fear of vendor's not storing tea properly before I purchase it
6%
Fear of not being able to repurchase my fave tea
10%
Fear of brewing tea in public
No votes
Fear of being judged for drinking tea
No votes
Fear of sharing my views on tea
2%
Fear of cats or dogs breaking teaware
9%
Other, please share
3%
Fear nothing
1%

Total votes: 93

Jan 29th, '11, 02:57
Scrolling: scrolling

Weekend TeaDays 1/29-30/11 Fear not ...

by Chip » Jan 29th, '11, 02:57

Greetings one and all to a TeaWeekend TeaDay. Please be sure to stop in throughout the weekend and share what is in your cup and participate in what will be an interesting discussion.
Friday we discussed "what teaware would we be." You can still vote and discuss Friday's topic.

This weekend's TeaPoll and discussion topic. A "fun" two fold topic for the weekend. First, TeaFears, and discuss.

Secondly, general fears, if you are like me, you can grin and share them. Here is a helpful though very annoying site with a list of 110 fears (do not go there if you have a fear of annoying sites and pop ups that defy pop up blockers :lol: ).

http://www.saviodsilva.net/top-10-fears ... common.htm

I am fearing sharing this TeaWeekend with everyone. Bottoms up.

Jan 29th, '11, 03:07

Re: Weekend TeaDays 1/29-30/11 Fear not ...

by Poohblah » Jan 29th, '11, 03:07

not on the list, but... I fear that my tastebuds are inferior and that I can't tell or appreciate the difference between good teas and bad teas. Also I fear that bugs will crawl into my tea and ruin the taste and make me brew the tea again. Because that happens all the time.

Jan 29th, '11, 06:17

by auhckw » Jan 29th, '11, 06:17

Fear of breaking my teapots is still the top... but it sure felt better after breaking my first teapot. At least get the feeling out.

Jan 29th, '11, 06:32

by Nenugal » Jan 29th, '11, 06:32

Breaking teaware, running out of a favourite tea without being able to get more, too many teas open at once. But these issues are not by far as scary as an octopus or a broken harddisk without a backup.

Morning tea is matcha in my newly arrived hime-hagi (see Today's MatchaWan thread).

Jan 29th, '11, 07:40
Scrolling: fixed

by el gringo » Jan 29th, '11, 07:40

Spending money on good tea that goes off, or spending money on a tea that I end up not liking (since I'm still trying to find out exactly the sorts of teas I like) are my biggest fears at the moment.

Drinking a nice tie guan jin this morning that I picked up from the Canton tea Co.

Jan 29th, '11, 07:48

by andrzej bero » Jan 29th, '11, 07:48

there is a cat, there is no dog - discrimination? :wink:

Anxi Tie Guaniyin from "morze herbaty" in my.

Jan 29th, '11, 08:10

by Chip » Jan 29th, '11, 08:10

andrzej bero wrote:there is a cat, there is no dog - discrimination? :wink:
Dog added, forgot about the sweeping tail manuver ... :mrgreen:

Jan 29th, '11, 09:24

by karmaplace » Jan 29th, '11, 09:24

Fear of me or the cat breaking tea ware is number one (nothing broken so far, knock on wood), fear of brewing wrong is number two (not really afraid to, but I hate doing it), and fear of wasting money on a tea I end up not liking and am stuck with because I have very few tea-drinking friends around.

As for non-tea fears, I fear situations where I am not able to make my own decisions (example, I dislike my current job, but my contract runs until September, and if I quit, I risk being blacklisted and not being able to find another job in Korea; or I fear somehow losing my job or having some kind of financial emergency where I have no choice but to return to the States and leech off my parents, ect). I fear what can go wrong. :(

Jan 29th, '11, 10:34
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 29th, '11, 10:34

For me it is definately fear of breaking tea ware. I've broken a few pieces over the years and one of them is really a heartbreaker. I've actually sent the lid to Japan to be repaired with lacquer. I'm so excited to get it back. Everytime I used the teapot, it made my heart sink a little. The repair will be beautiful and will make using the teapot such a joy again. Maybe even moreso than it was when whole.

Don't worry Chip, I will post photos.

Jan 29th, '11, 12:05

by Chip » Jan 29th, '11, 12:05

Good to hear IPT and yes, photos please. I know the few pieces I have managed to damage over the years, while they remained usable, each time I would even look at the piece, it brought some sorrow.

Yeah, breaking teaware has to be at or near the top of the list. When I had all cheapy stuff, I never thought much about it, then when I finally purchased some nicer wares, I would get very nervous using a 100-200 USD pot.

Fear of cats breaking teaware is born also of experience as cats have broken a few kyusu already. :roll:

Fear of having too many teas open was born of experience. Fear of improper storage and fear of a vendor not storing teas properly before I purchase. These are all really dealing with fear of lack of freshness which is so critical when it comes to japanese teas.

Jan 29th, '11, 13:00

by brlarson » Jan 29th, '11, 13:00

I changed my vote from No Fear to Fear of Running Out of Tea.

It must be true because I have 899 grams of green (280gr is genmaicha), 1774 grams of oolong (256gr is Wu Dong Cha Tao), and 183 grams of red tea, and I know exactly when it will run out and exactly when to order more.

And I am not OCD.

Jan 29th, '11, 13:04

by TubbyCow » Jan 29th, '11, 13:04

I guess the biggest one would be fear of sharing my views on tea.

[rant]When I bring up that I'm a big tea drinker, people usually reply with something like, "Oh, me too! I drink a cup almost every day!"

Or "Have you heard of this tea that I'm mispronouncing so badly that you can't even figure out what I'm talking about." "Ganachee" was my personal favourite. "You know, the popcorn tea!"

Or, "Have you tried WHITE tea?!"

Not that I know an incredible amount about the stuff, and I try really hard not to be elitist, but since it's something almost everyone knows a little bit about, a lot of people like to call it a hobby. Then I'm trapped in the predicament of do I pretend like I don't know much so we can pretend to talk shop together (oh, Ganachee! yeah, it's tasty stuff), or do I correct them and risk acting like a snob (you're thinking of genmaicha)?

I usually go with changing the subject to something else entirely.[/rant]

Jan 29th, '11, 13:34
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 29th, '11, 13:34

My fear is what I should do if I shall move to another city in future!
But this post has triggered me to think what other fears I may have and now I can't stop! :mrgreen:

Jan 29th, '11, 13:42

by debunix » Jan 29th, '11, 13:42

Yamakai sencha from Norbu to start the day, with no frightening near-misses risking teaware tragedy initiated by me or the cat, and only a small fear of never being able to find this lovely tea again.

Jan 29th, '11, 13:53

by kitkat » Jan 29th, '11, 13:53

I just got my first kyusu and even it's only Den's cheapie I love it so much I now have fear of teaware breakage. It feels like it's only a matter of time, yikes!

Drinking my mystery sencha this morning. I know, I know, I still need to start a thread. ;)