Jan 31st, '11, 18:32

Re: NEW CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XV

by Takarabune » Jan 31st, '11, 18:32

JeiKun4114 wrote:My newly acquired Petr Novak cups :mrgreen: His wares are worth the wait :D :mrgreen:
Epic swirls and glazing!

Feb 1st, '11, 11:31

by JeiKun4114 » Feb 1st, '11, 11:31

Takarabune wrote:
JeiKun4114 wrote:My newly acquired Petr Novak cups :mrgreen: His wares are worth the wait :D :mrgreen:
Epic swirls and glazing!
Thanks Takarabune :D

Feb 1st, '11, 19:34

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 1st, '11, 19:34

I was just taking some pictures, decided to fix myself a cuppa in this, so thought I share a few shots of it. It was made by my friend Tim See (see his teaware artisans thread for his website) I think it was really kind of a prototype for him, I liked it and he gave it to me. It's great, grolleg porcelian w/ a nice celadon glaze

Feb 2nd, '11, 14:01

by JeiKun4114 » Feb 2nd, '11, 14:01

Wow that is a very stunning piece :mrgreen: looks very well made :D

Feb 2nd, '11, 14:52

by Cicada Lady » Feb 2nd, '11, 14:52

Wonderful! Thanks for posting. :D

Feb 3rd, '11, 14:30
Scrolling: fixed

by el gringo » Feb 3rd, '11, 14:30

Although this isn't up to the standard I've seen here I'm still pretty happy as I've just received my first gaiwan :)

Its a tiny travel set from Dragon Tea House, the gaiwan only holds 50ml, but I wanted it for puerh sampling, as I plan on getting a load to dip my toes in the world of aged teas. Anyway some photos:

Feb 3rd, '11, 21:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 3rd, '11, 21:45

Wow, lots of lovely teawares! Thank you everyone for posting. :!:

Feb 3rd, '11, 22:31

by debunix » Feb 3rd, '11, 22:31

I am so tempted to order half a dozen of those sets....because the mini gaiwans I have at present don't have bottom trays, so I often burn my fingers when using them for comparisons of puerhs brewed properly hot.

If I do, anyone want a whole lot of really dinky gongfu tasting cups?

Feb 4th, '11, 02:52

by Alex » Feb 4th, '11, 02:52

debunix wrote:I am so tempted to order half a dozen of those sets....because the mini gaiwans I have at present don't have bottom trays, so I often burn my fingers when using them for comparisons of puerhs brewed properly hot.

Why not just order a load of the teagallery ones? or stephane on teamasters does a 60ml plain white for $11 or something like that 8)

Feb 4th, '11, 12:52

by Tead Off » Feb 4th, '11, 12:52

debunix wrote:I am so tempted to order half a dozen of those sets....because the mini gaiwans I have at present don't have bottom trays, so I often burn my fingers when using them for comparisons of puerhs brewed properly hot.

Why do you burn your fingers because of the lack of bottom trays? If you pick up the gaiwan by its rim edge with thumb and middle finger, and, index finger holding the lid, you shouldn't burn yourself.

Feb 4th, '11, 16:21

by debunix » Feb 4th, '11, 16:21

The tiny gaiwans are so tiny that any two places where I might hold the rim are not far enough away from the pour zone to prevent occasional contact with the water--a different grip, sandwiching them between lid and base, would be much preferred.

I haven't sprung for the slick ones from Teagallery because they look just a little bigger than the tiny ones I have, although a closer look suggests that it may be due to the base making the fully stacked gaiwan taller. Might be worth ordering one to check it out.

Feb 5th, '11, 00:09

by Tead Off » Feb 5th, '11, 00:09

debunix wrote:The tiny gaiwans are so tiny that any two places where I might hold the rim are not far enough away from the pour zone to prevent occasional contact with the water--a different grip, sandwiching them between lid and base, would be much preferred.

I haven't sprung for the slick ones from Teagallery because they look just a little bigger than the tiny ones I have, although a closer look suggests that it may be due to the base making the fully stacked gaiwan taller. Might be worth ordering one to check it out.
I have a 60ml gaiwan that I use without burning my fingers. It has a saucer which I never hold when pouring. If you fill up the gaiwan too much, you cannot help but burn your fingers. Can't you put less water into it?

Feb 5th, '11, 00:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Feb 5th, '11, 00:34

or, as what some have suggested here, fill it all the way, and then tip it with the lid so that the water level returns to a manageable level.

(i believe this tip was shared by brandon)

Feb 5th, '11, 02:04

by wyardley » Feb 5th, '11, 02:04

Tead Off wrote:I have a 60ml gaiwan that I use without burning my fingers. It has a saucer which I never hold when pouring. If you fill up the gaiwan too much, you cannot help but burn your fingers. Can't you put less water into it?
A thick gaiwan without much flare on the rim is difficult to hold, even when not filled too high. I have a couple of small (~50-60 ml) Sanshe gaiwan which is like this - I suspect it may have been meant more for drinking than for brewing with.

Feb 5th, '11, 13:08

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 5th, '11, 13:08

I could not resist the price of this vintage set, so I just bought it on Etsy. Obviously it's massed produced, the teapot looks like it could be fun. It measures about 3"x3" and has a built in strainer. Anyone ever seen this set before? I figured what the heck :wink:

+ Post Reply