Tea from world market

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 26th, '11, 19:16

Tea from world market

by balmung135 » Jan 26th, '11, 19:16

So I am looking into buying some more teas to try and i keep coming back to the world market collection. They sell some teas that are pretty cheap and the dian hong i got from them is actually pretty good. What I was wondering is if people know about the quality and if its worth to keep going back to them.

I am getting into green teas after my stint with black tea and just need an inexpensive way to try some, but I dont want the quality to suffer. I can pay if i know its worth the price.

Feb 1st, '11, 12:04

Re: Tea from world market

by bryan_drinks_tea » Feb 1st, '11, 12:04

Go with Dragon Tea House. They have a decent selection of chinese greens.
If you're looking for japanese greens, try dens tea or o-cha.com.
Also, I'd advise maybe to stay away from world market stuff. It's generally overpriced for what one is getting.

Feb 1st, '11, 19:43

by iannon » Feb 1st, '11, 19:43

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:Go with Dragon Tea House. They have a decent selection of chinese greens.
If you're looking for japanese greens, try dens tea or o-cha.com.
Also, I'd advise maybe to stay away from world market stuff. It's generally overpriced for what one is getting.
+1 but on the other hand if you do enjoy it..at the price they sell it for..and you need a quick local fill-in,..then go for it

Feb 2nd, '11, 05:32

by skilfautdire » Feb 2nd, '11, 05:32

So, what is actually this 'world market' ? How is this different to ordering teas, say, from DTH in China from North America ?

Feb 2nd, '11, 13:19

by wyardley » Feb 2nd, '11, 13:19

skilfautdire wrote:So, what is actually this 'world market' ? How is this different to ordering teas, say, from DTH in China from North America ?
I could be wrong, but I think the person is referring to a specific store, maybe Cost Plus World Market, or maybe an online retailer called "World Market".

Feb 2nd, '11, 15:58

by skilfautdire » Feb 2nd, '11, 15:58

OK, found it. Some kind of 'Pier 1 Imports' as we have up here.
Not that I would buy any food or tea at 'Pier 1' if they'd be selling any...

Feb 6th, '11, 04:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Feb 6th, '11, 04:26

Yes it's an import store, but they also try to carry high grades of foodstuffs. I don't know wine, but I have seen stuff there priced over a hundred.

I had gotten their store labeled Tie Guan Yin when I first started out; it was better than many American shops, but you are indeed better off buying from some of the good online vendors.

Nov 2nd, '14, 22:41

by matthematical » Nov 2nd, '14, 22:41

I was of the type who would never buy tea from Cost Plus World Market, but then just recently a friend bought me some White Peoney from them. I reluctantly tried it and to my surprise the quality is quite good, better than Pete's and only slightly lower quality than adagio. I feel silly for being on my high horse so long. I'm not going out of my way to shop at cost plus world market for tea, but if I do find myself there for some other reason I will probably try some of their other teas.

+ Post Reply