Anyone else here is playing Go?

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Feb 3rd, '11, 11:38
Vendor Member

Anyone else here is playing Go?

by Xell » Feb 3rd, '11, 11:38

Well, i'm playing this board game close to one year already. Really like it, especially now i can play on real board with many other people. On internet it's not as much fun :) Its perfect to have green tea while playing it

For people wondering what it is, check http://senseis.xmp.net/?WhatIsGo

Feb 3rd, '11, 12:51

Re: Anyone else here is playing Go?

by Poohblah » Feb 3rd, '11, 12:51

I learned go last summer. I'm pretty bad at it; it's incredibly difficult. I still prefer to play 9x9 boards. There is too much happening on a 19x19 for me to process at once.

Feb 3rd, '11, 13:09
Vendor Member

by IPT » Feb 3rd, '11, 13:09

Love it! I've been playing for about 15 years. You aren't kidding, there's nothing like playing on a real board. I've had games that have lasted months. I don't get to play too much anymore though.

Feb 3rd, '11, 13:20

by David R. » Feb 3rd, '11, 13:20

I have also learned how to play go 15 years ago. I really got into it then. But like everything here, the more you want to play, the more you have to attend tournaments and competition, and I just wanted to play for fun and learn.

Anyway I had to stop due to my studies. It is not easy to find a player now who will just have fun playing go on japanese tatami, drinking green tea.

Feb 3rd, '11, 14:57

by Marco » Feb 3rd, '11, 14:57

I've been playing Chess for years.
And so it had to come that one day I stumbled upon Go.

This time I found a wonderful training computer-program for it. There you worked up your ranking if you managed to win against always better AIs.
I played straight up from the (I think) 30th to the 15th Kyu. And then I've been stuck. For two months I always had won against the 16th Kyu AI and lost against the 15th Kyu AI. So I think I didn't manage to understand the strategy behind the game.

my little story about Go experiences :)

Feb 3rd, '11, 20:44
Vendor Member

by Xell » Feb 3rd, '11, 20:44

I read a book about basics and do some tesuji exercises time to time. Got up to japanese 4d... but in reality it's about ~1k on KGS - http://www.gokgs.com/

I'm lucky to be in Japan since there are a lot of people, who play just for fun. But i think, there is enough already in many western countries to. As far, as i know, Go is spreading quite fast in recent years. You can check country rooms on KGS and ask about clubs or who prefers to play on real board.

I really like handicap system, it allows to play even game even if players strength is really different.
Marco wrote:....
This time I found a wonderful training computer-program for it. There you worked up your ranking if you managed to win against always better AIs.

I think programs are good enough only for some practice. Try to play with real people at least on internet, it's a lot more interesting. There are actually quite many at this level. I think you can get stronger without any studies or solving problems, at least up to 8-10kyu and this is enough to have fun playing.

Feb 3rd, '11, 20:45

by tenuki » Feb 3rd, '11, 20:45

I love the game - been playing for a while although I'm only around 3-2k on KGS last time I was ranked. Reposting some pics I posted a couple years back that the folks on this thread might enjoy...

Feb 3rd, '11, 21:32
Vendor Member

by Xell » Feb 3rd, '11, 21:32

Nice photos, looks like really comfortable setting for playing Go. Although i don't think i can hold more than 2 hours sitting on floor :) Lucky for me, go salon where i usually play has desks too.

Feb 3rd, '11, 22:44

by woozl » Feb 3rd, '11, 22:44

I love Go,
Yet I am bad
Chess is another thing altogether, I'm a Bland (not grand) master :wink: n

Anything beats relocating snow

Feb 4th, '11, 01:38

by Poohblah » Feb 4th, '11, 01:38

Nice setup, tenuki! I like the kettle and stove next to the board. My friend has a bamboo board and yunzi stones; it is my hope that the board occupies a prime space in our house that we will be sharing next year. Also my chess board needs to have a good location as well; I used to be really into chess. Not so much anymore, since I don't have friends who play since I started university.

Feb 4th, '11, 08:41
Vendor Member

by Xell » Feb 4th, '11, 08:41

May be lets hold some Go sessions on KGS for teachat members? :) No pressure for winning/losing, just enjoy the game. Also i can help beginners, not strong enough to suggest something to advanced players. I'm teaching go to kids for few month already in school club :D

Anyway, if someone is interested, i created room on KGS. Name is 'Teachat' :)

Feb 4th, '11, 16:42

by Poohblah » Feb 4th, '11, 16:42

Xell wrote:May be lets hold some Go sessions on KGS for teachat members? :) No pressure for winning/losing, just enjoy the game. Also i can help beginners, not strong enough to suggest something to advanced players. I'm teaching go to kids for few month already in school club :D

Anyway, if someone is interested, i created room on KGS. Name is 'Teachat' :)
that's great, maybe this weekend I'll sign up for a KGS account :) I have other priorities though, go will tend to be shunted to the side in my free time

Feb 16th, '11, 10:08

by GoTea » Feb 16th, '11, 10:08

Hey guys,

I am a big go fan. My id on KGS is spider451. I have been playing about 3 years and have got to 1d on KGS. I went to China to study go and ended up spending a lot of the spare time in a tea shopping center.

Feb 16th, '11, 10:23
Vendor Member

by Xell » Feb 16th, '11, 10:23

GoTea wrote:Hey guys,

I am a big go fan. My id on KGS is spider451. I have been playing about 3 years and have got to 1d on KGS. I went to China to study go and ended up spending a lot of the spare time in a tea shopping center.
Join Teachat room i created, was approved as permanent room too :) Would be nice to play time to time, quite close in rank.

I would like to go to China too, some pro's organize summer go camp for 1-2 month. But sadly there are few more important things right now and don't think my wife would let me go that easily :lol:

+ Post Reply