13th Zodiac...

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Jan 14th, '11, 01:30

13th Zodiac...

by auhckw » Jan 14th, '11, 01:30

New Zodiac sign Ophiuchus sends many scurrying for new astrological cover
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/100950/ ... -cover.htm#

By Nagesh Narayana | January 13, 2011 11:21 PM EST

Astronomer Parke Kunkle has set the world of astrology-lovers on a storm claiming in an NBC show that the Earth's position has changed vis-a-vis the Sun in the last 3,000 years when astrological signs were first allocated and there is a new sign called Ophiuchus which dictates the course of many events.

Kunkle, who is a board member of the Minnesota Planetarium Society, says the new sign Ophiuchus needs to be included and also change the existing zodiac signs of the people to make it more realistic.

"Because of this change of tilt, the Earth is really over here in effect and Sun is in a different constellation than it was 3,000 years ago," says Kunkle and adds that the Babylonian astrology needs rejigging and those born in Ophiuchus require new attention to their characteristics.

The new sign will cover those born between Nov. 29 and Dec. 17 while Sagittarius will move into the 13 th position covering from Dec. 17 to Jan. 20. Some traits of those born in the sign of Ophiuchus are said to be honest, intellectual, sexually magnetic, prone to change and of course, jealous. They require special attention to understand, argue the new Zodiac sign believers.

The introduction of new zodiac sign Ophiuchus between Scorpio and Sagittarius has upset many people who take astrology seriously. The Internet is abuzz with new equations and write-ups on celebrities whose signs change dramatically over night, if recognized.

Another fear among the astrology-conscious people is that the insertion of the 13 number in astrology may bring in the doomsday predictions of 2012 nearer to belief.

Others are upset because their Zodiac sign has suddenly changed since they are not ready to switch over to new charts or accept new predictions. Here are the new signs:

Here is the proposed new Zodia sign chart:

Capricorn: Jan. 20 - Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 - March 11
Pisces: March 11- April 18
Aries: April 18- May 13
Taurus: May 13- June 21
Gemini: June 21- July 20
Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20

However, not everybody is buying the argument. "We've known about this for ages. The constellations don't suggest what's coming up, it's the planets! The constellations are a measuring device," another astrologer Susan Miller told ABC News.

She said over period the original number of 50 constellations were brought down to 18 and later to 12 as they are now. The insertion of a new sign would mean reversal of the entire process, she said. "I'm getting so many tweets. Trying to explain something technical in 140 characters is hard!"

Horoscope Hang-Up: Earth Rotation Changes Zodiac Signs
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/13/hor ... z1Az54r1d8

Ophiuchus: What All Sagittarians and Capricorns Need to Know About Their New Zodiac
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/13/oph ... ostpopular

Jan 14th, '11, 01:30

Re: 13th Zodiac...

by auhckw » Jan 14th, '11, 01:30

Good luck to those that have their zodiac tattooed on them :)

Jan 15th, '11, 16:22

by rhondabee » Jan 15th, '11, 16:22

I'm relieved to know my sign hasn't changed... :wink:

Jan 15th, '11, 18:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jan 15th, '11, 18:23

About time, here's hoping the precession is taken into account on an ongoing basis and the new proposal isn't set in stone for another few thousand years.

Curious to see if the average newspaper horoscope will take any heed.

I'm no astrologer but the general refusal to acknowledge the precession of the equinoxes has irked me for some time.

Jan 15th, '11, 18:31

by mokie » Jan 15th, '11, 18:31

auhckw wrote:Astronomer Parke Kunkle has set the world of astrology-lovers on a storm claiming in an NBC show that the Earth's position has changed vis-a-vis the Sun in the last 3,000 years when astrological signs were first allocated and there is a new sign called Ophiuchus which dictates the course of many events.
Astronomer Parke Kunkle has made astrologers sigh and point out that they all know the constellations don't match up with the dates anymore in Western astrology, and Astrology 101 books point this out from the start. ;)

Furthermore, Kunkle's revised astrological charts are unnecessary--Sidereal astrology already has the 'updated' constellation/sign alignment taken care of.

Feb 8th, '11, 00:58

by bagua7 » Feb 8th, '11, 00:58

auhckw wrote:[Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
Lol, me a Virgo?? Haha I got the typical traits of a Libran even though I was born in the cusp Sept. 24 and my rising sign is Virgo.
auhckw wrote:However, not everybody is buying the argument. "We've known about this for ages. The constellations don't suggest what's coming up, it's the planets! The constellations are a measuring device," another astrologer Susan Miller told ABC News.
Exactly! Personality traits are identical to what the traditional arrangement of the Western (constellation-based as opposed to the Chinese which follows the Daoist principles of Yin & Yang and 5 Elements) originally conceived. So this new theory is just a fad. My personality won't become that of a Virgo just because of someone claiming something for some obscure reason.

+ Post Reply