Feb 6th, '11, 23:13

Teapot Cult

by auhckw » Feb 6th, '11, 23:13

Kind of old news... but still interesting...

Malaysia 'teapot cult' attacked
Last Updated: Monday, 18 July, 2005, 06:52 GMT 07:52 UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4692039.stm

Arsonists have attacked the base of a small inter-faith sect in Malaysia called the Sky Kingdom.

The sect is noted for building a giant teapot to symbolise its belief in the healing purity of water, and is accused of luring Muslims away from Islam.

A lawyer for the sect, Haris Mohamad Ibrahim, said that about 30 armed men dressed in Arab robes had attacked the commune with Molotov cocktails.

No-one was injured in the attack, which caused a small fire.

"The roof of the teapot structure is... slightly charred, but since it is made of concrete, the damage is not extensive," firefighter Ahmad Fakarudin told Reuters news agency.

Police raid

The sect - based in the strongly Muslim state of Terengganu - claims to promote harmony between religious groups.

Ayah Pin (Photo: Malaysia Kini)
Leader Ayah Pin believes he can save the world
Its leader, Ayah Pin, says he is the saviour of the world.

He has attracted believers from many different religious groups with his message of love and tolerance. He claims to allow his followers to be members of any faith, including Islam.

Earlier this month, the group was raided by police, and 21 followers were arrested for possessing documents contrary to Islam. They were all freed on bail pending a court appearance in September.

Members have been jailed in the past for attempting to renounce Islam, and the group's bizarre constructions have been deemed to be against local regulations.

The group's controversial structures are said to combine architectural elements from Islam, Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism.

More on Teapot Cult (Sky Kingdom): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Kingdom

Feb 7th, '11, 00:30

Re: Teapot Cult

by tingjunkie » Feb 7th, '11, 00:30

Interesting that a group espousing love and tolerance would choose a teapot as their symbol. :D

Sad that ignorant morons would attack a group preaching unity, even if their leader might seem overly self-important. :(

Feb 7th, '11, 13:29

by MarshalN » Feb 7th, '11, 13:29

It's against the law to try to convert a Muslim away from Islam in Malaysia

Feb 7th, '11, 17:16

by entropyembrace » Feb 7th, '11, 17:16

MarshalN wrote:It's against the law to try to convert a Muslim away from Islam in Malaysia
So? It was against the law for a German to marry a member of an "inferior race" during the 3rd Reich...just because it´s a law doesn´t mean it´s just or should be respected. :roll:

Feb 7th, '11, 17:23

by rabbit » Feb 7th, '11, 17:23

entropyembrace wrote:
MarshalN wrote:It's against the law to try to convert a Muslim away from Islam in Malaysia
So? It was against the law for a German to marry a member of an "inferior race" during the 3rd Reich...just because it´s a law doesn´t mean it´s just or should be respected. :roll:
+1

Feb 7th, '11, 17:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 7th, '11, 17:55

... moved to Tea > Other since it is not really about teaware per se. :mrgreen:

I left a "shadow" under Teaware temporarily.

Feb 8th, '11, 10:32

by karmaplace » Feb 8th, '11, 10:32

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/05/teapot_cult/

Found another small article about it; "Malaysian woman jailed for worshipping teapot."

I find it extremely disconcerting that there could ever be and are laws for preventing people from changing their beliefs. :shock:

Feb 8th, '11, 12:08

by auhckw » Feb 8th, '11, 12:08

karmaplace wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/05/teapot_cult/

Found another small article about it; "Malaysian woman jailed for worshipping teapot."

I find it extremely disconcerting that there could ever be and are laws for preventing people from changing their beliefs. :shock:
Over here, if a man (non muslim) wants to marry a girl (muslim), the man MUST convert to muslim. The bright side, the man can now marry 4 wifes and enjoy the muslim benefits given by the government. The ouch side, he has to change his original name to a muslim name and Circumcision :?

Feb 8th, '11, 12:17

by tenuki » Feb 8th, '11, 12:17

I would never join that cult - I worship very tiny teapots....

Feb 8th, '11, 12:36

by rdl » Feb 8th, '11, 12:36

entropyembrace wrote:
it is possible to recognize holy law, and to recognize civil law. but when the two mix, life becomes complicated.
still, it is interesting all the "purity" laws governing the wine and cheese and tea (etc) industries.
and the generational battles for change.

Feb 8th, '11, 12:37

by karmaplace » Feb 8th, '11, 12:37

auhckw wrote: Over here, if a man (non muslim) wants to marry a girl (muslim), the man MUST convert to muslim. The bright side, the man can now marry 4 wifes and enjoy the muslim benefits given by the government. The ouch side, he has to change his original name to a muslim name and Circumcision :?
:shock: Four wives? Reminds me of the "Sister Brides" in Utah. Here in Korea it's not uncommon for a man to get circumcised later in life (my boyfriend got his done only five months ago...before we met; I had nothing to do with it). :lol: Still ouch, but not too out there.

What if a Muslim man wants to marry a non-Muslim woman? I'm assuming if it happens, she would have to become Muslim as well, but are there any other special tasks?

Feb 8th, '11, 17:37

by rabbit » Feb 8th, '11, 17:37

tenuki wrote:I would never join that cult - I worship very tiny teapots....
lol

Feb 16th, '11, 06:02

by Herb_Master » Feb 16th, '11, 06:02

auhckw wrote: Over here, if a man (non muslim) wants to marry a girl (muslim), the man MUST convert to muslim. The bright side, the man can now marry 4 wifes and enjoy the muslim benefits given by the government.
My dilemma!!
I am totally unable to convert - apart from all my non-halal food requirements, would never be able to pray 5 times a day, tuck my prayer mat under my arm and off to the Mosque every friday, promise to do my best to take a haj to mecca

result = unable to marry my GF
karmaplace wrote:
What if a Muslim man wants to marry a non-Muslim woman?
I'm assuming if it happens, she would have to become Muslim as well, but are there any other special tasks?
A Muslim man may marry a Jewish woman, or a Christian woman both believed to be followers of the same god. The man is the head of the household, and the children must all be raised as Muslims.

Feb 16th, '11, 11:25

by tortoise » Feb 16th, '11, 11:25

too...many...rules...head...exploding.

As a Humanist, I try to be nice to everyone. That should cover it.

Feb 16th, '11, 12:11

by Chimpie » Feb 16th, '11, 12:11

tortoise wrote:too...many...rules...head...exploding.

As a Humanist, I try to be nice to everyone. That should cover it.

Here Here to that one

+ Post Reply