Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Jan 7th, '11, 07:58

Re: Maiko "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Ambrose » Jan 7th, '11, 07:58

I got some matcha and a new chasen. Im extremely happy with everything, price, quality, customer service, and their personal branding. I am looking forward to their senchas. :D

Jan 24th, '11, 09:59

by Noahnoir » Jan 24th, '11, 09:59

I recently buyed the Fugenji-Midori Gyokuro, you guys have any tips on the paremeters for me?

Jan 24th, '11, 10:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 24th, '11, 10:03

Noahnoir wrote:I recently buyed the Fugenji-Midori Gyokuro, you guys have any tips on the paremeters for me?
I have not had any gyokuro from Maiko, I should change this! :mrgreen:

How do you brew gyokuro now?

Jan 24th, '11, 10:19

by alan logan » Jan 24th, '11, 10:19

Chip wrote:I have not had any gyokuro from Maiko, I should change this! :mrgreen:
yamashita's productions are most certainly worth it.
you can go with 50g of Yamashita-Jirushi if you prefer to spend cautiously for a first time, or go with the 5 gyokuros set to taste a few.

edit: how come the word "y-a-m-a-s-h-i-t-a" is wiped by the filter (or whatever app is used to ban certain words) ? it is no problematic word.

Jan 24th, '11, 10:35

by Chip » Jan 24th, '11, 10:35

alan logan wrote:
Chip wrote:I have not had any gyokuro from Maiko, I should change this! :mrgreen:
*shucks*'s productions are most certainly worth it.
you can go with 50g of *shucks*-Jirushi if you prefer to spend cautiously for a first time, or go with the 5 gyokuros set to taste a few.

edit: how come the word "y-a-m-a-s-h-i-t-a" is wiped by the filter (or whatever app is used to ban certain words) ? it is no problematic word.
Heh, within the word is a "4 letter word." The forum is currently set to eliminate banned words within a word. This is generally to prevent just using prefixes and suffixes to bypass the filter. I will have to take a look.

EDIT: the 4 letter word was removed from the ban list. And all is well in Yamashita!

Jan 24th, '11, 10:38

by Noahnoir » Jan 24th, '11, 10:38

Chip wrote:
Noahnoir wrote:I recently buyed the Fugenji-Midori Gyokuro, you guys have any tips on the paremeters for me?
I have not had any gyokuro from Maiko, I should change this! :mrgreen:

How do you brew gyokuro now?
i think i will try it with 2:1 ratio and 122°F for 2 mins.
but not today, the 7132 from o-cha arrived today, i guess i will try this one first. :D

Jan 24th, '11, 10:41

by alan logan » Jan 24th, '11, 10:41

@chip
ok, I see, probably the best solution --is it bayesian filter ?
even if it isn't, I guess it may work with a blacklist system; if so, the innocent word in question could be put into white list.

Jan 24th, '11, 10:49

by Chip » Jan 24th, '11, 10:49

Noahnoir wrote: i think i will try it with 2:1 ratio and 122°F for 2 mins.
but not today, the 7132 from o-cha arrived today, i guess i will try this one first. :D
OK, good luck! I usually try a bit hotter ... er warmer. 130*. And a little shorter time ... so I guess that is a wash!
alan logan wrote:@chip
ok, I see, probably the best solution --is it bayesian filter ?
even if it isn't, I guess it may work with a blacklist system; if so, the innocent word in question could be put into white list.
I just removed the 4 letter word in question, there are a lot worse words posters could use. :lol: This corrected the problem.

Jan 24th, '11, 11:04

by alan logan » Jan 24th, '11, 11:04

:wink:

Jan 31st, '11, 16:48

by Baisao » Jan 31st, '11, 16:48

Now I understand...

I'd seen this word *shucks* mentioned a few times with high praise, but couldn't see this interesting kind of tea on Maiko's site. I found something called Yamashita... but nothing called *shucks*

Feb 1st, '11, 10:02

by Noahnoir » Feb 1st, '11, 10:02

Hi there,

today i received an email from Maiko, introducing their new campaign from 1st february till 31th march.

there are really great offers within.

http://www.maiko.ne.jp/english/shopping/thanks.htm

Feb 12th, '11, 01:39

by shinobicha » Feb 12th, '11, 01:39

I took advantage of this current sale, thanks for posting info on the campaign, Noahnoir!

I ordered their Maruyama, Shiawase Cha, and Yamashita's Gyokuro sampler.
The sampler was on sale for $20 off! At 4,800 Yen it seems too expensive to be worth it; but it is only 3,000 Yen now. I was also very nicely surprised at the exchange rate they used when I actually received my invoice. Instead of everything costing 20% more (since the Yen is near 80), the rate they used was around 95 Yen to 1 USD, so it ended up being nearly $8 cheaper than I expected.

If you've ever looked at those high quality Gyokuros and wanted to try them, now seems like a good time. I may not open them for a little while, but when I do, I will definitely post!

Feb 12th, '11, 10:10

by tjsan » Feb 12th, '11, 10:10

Hi,
I'm thinking about buying maiko’s sencha and karigane.. Anyone try their middle grade sencha’s? Maybe someone could share with me your impressions about: sencha Maruyama, Kyo no Tsuyu, Kamo, and their lower quality karigane.. Are they worth a try in this price range?
I will be grateful for your help.

Feb 12th, '11, 10:16

by iannon » Feb 12th, '11, 10:16

tjsan wrote:Hi,
I'm thinking about buying maiko’s sencha and karigane.. Anyone try their middle grade sencha’s? Maybe someone could share with me your impressions about: sencha Maruyama, Kyo no Tsuyu, Kamo, and their lower quality karigane.. Are they worth a try in this price range?
I will be grateful for your help.
havent had the karigane but i order sencha from Maiko quite a bit now since i really like their asamushi (which they all are) the Maruyama is one i tend to order and like. I do like both of the two lower rungs below the maruyama as well but the maru is my fav of the mid priced. My very fav from them is when shincha comes around and the Kinari is in season! yummm

Feb 12th, '11, 18:49

by shinobicha » Feb 12th, '11, 18:49

Actually, I wrote them during this sale that they are having.

If you take a look at the link above that the guy posted, you can get 2x 100g Maruyama for 3,000 Yen or 2x their highest grade karigane Tenka-ichi (which I have not had) for 3,000 Yen.
However, I asked them if it would be possible to have 1x Maruyama and 1x Tenka-ichi for the same price. The gentleman who is their German/English sales consultant answered my question by saying that it would be just fine, to simply order one of the two (2x Maruyama or the other) and in the Notes section simply make your request known and they would take care of it.

I would have taken them up on it, but decided I have enough tea at home, and so instead just got a 1xMaru, which wasn't on sale like that.

However, 1,500 Yen (about $16-$17) for 100g of these teas is a very good sale; at least, it seems like it to me. But, trust iannon or others who have actually drunk their teas. I just received my shipment, but have yet to break anything out!

+ Post Reply