Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Jan 30th, '11, 01:11
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

by Chip » Jan 30th, '11, 01:11

Shawn, nice wares! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Jan 30th, '11, 12:51

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 30th, '11, 12:51

Thanks for the overwhelming responses! :D Especially to the cups and saucers. I have four more of these with saucers and five cups without that I'll list today. Thanks again folks!

Here's a few teapots I'm going to fire up the week, now how to glaze them hmmmmmmmmm :?:

Jan 30th, '11, 22:21

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 30th, '11, 22:21

a detail shot of the interior of these (a hard image for me to capture :twisted: ) I love this glaze combo, and the iron red crystallizes like crazy.
A few more of these are available here-
http://www.etsy.com/listing/67084239/te ... u-and-iron
and here-
http://www.etsy.com/listing/67082939/te ... u-and-iron

Jan 30th, '11, 22:30

by Chip » Jan 30th, '11, 22:30

Yeah, those are cool ... or hot! I see one is heading to China! :wink:

Jan 30th, '11, 22:54
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 30th, '11, 22:54

You Betcha! :D

Jan 30th, '11, 23:03

by Chip » Jan 30th, '11, 23:03

Hey Shawn, how about adding your etsy to your profile. It will then show up under your avie in each post! And be easier for members to find.

Feb 10th, '11, 19:20

by Chip » Feb 10th, '11, 19:20

Shawn, I see you added your etsy to your profile. Thanks.

3 of Shawn's beautiful cups/bowls recently arrived, and they are very different from other TA styles! The bowls have an astounding ring to them, like a bronze bell. :mrgreen:

Pics to follow.

Feb 13th, '11, 00:17

by GreenwoodStudio » Feb 13th, '11, 00:17

I decided to tackle some gaiwans today for the first time, tricky. I've got another 8 of these that I still have to trim up tomorrow. Here's my first attempt, blahhh...lol next to a commercially made 120 ml, I think, it might be 150 :?
Anyhoo, I went too tall with the foot with this one, if someone chose to pour using the saucer it would be a finger stretch and probably not very stable. The lid's also too domed I think, making it a bit tall as well...

What do you think about the more open/bowl-like profile? Might it be better for some types of tea that need room to unfurl?

Any suggestions or criticism is welcomed. Like I said it's a first attempt, and just practice really. You won't hurt me feelings :) just trying to learn more. I will try to post pictures of some of the other with revisions tomorrow. Thanks

Feb 13th, '11, 00:27

by Chip » Feb 13th, '11, 00:27

I really like the cup's portion tapered shape on its own, right along the discussion we had. Are those cups in the background?

For a gaiwan, yeah, likely too tall overall.

Feb 13th, '11, 11:21

by debunix » Feb 13th, '11, 11:21

Things that I notice when actually using a gaiwan:

•the fit between lid and the bowl, and how easily the lid slips around on the bowl (I gave up on one glass gaiwan because it had a bit of a ridge where the gaiwan lid sat on the rim on the bowl, and this made it very hard to slip the lid to adjust the opening size for pouring the tea out)

•the size: I enjoy some larger gaiwans (150 mL to the brim, about 120mL to where the lid sits) for brewing up larger batches of tea, but mostly use smaller ones for gongfu sessions with special teas, or for tastings (100mL to the brim, about 75mL to where the lid sits), and adore my teeny ones (50mL to the brim, just under 40mL to where the lid sits) for comparison tasting several puerhs at once through many infusions

•likelihood of my getting burned by hot tea while using them--couldn't figure out how to describe this one any more succinctly than that, but it includes things like how stable the bowl is against the base, because I generally prefer to handle lid plus base and not touch the cup when brewing with near boiling water; how close the lid sits to the edge of the bowl--on my tiniest, the distance is so small that moving my hand slightly during pouring can shift the hot water so it touches and burns my fingers; and how easily the lid slips against the bowl, and what I have to do to shift it slightly to get a quicker or slower pour

•shape is really the last thing on my mind, but the curves on your sample are quite lovely

Feb 13th, '11, 17:14

by Drax » Feb 13th, '11, 17:14

Aha! I knew your gaiwan's shape looked familiar, but I couldn't find the thing it reminded me of... until just now.

It looks sort of like a tea 'travel set,' where the lid is actually a cup.

Here's an example:

http://www.hankooktea.com/geum-san-trav ... ivory.html

Feb 13th, '11, 20:36

by Chip » Feb 13th, '11, 20:36

Drax wrote:Aha! I knew your gaiwan's shape looked familiar, but I couldn't find the thing it reminded me of... until just now.

Here's an example:

Actually, these are 3 piece sets from Hankook. You are not seeing the actual lid under the cup. For most of these sets, the cup is about the right size for the capacity of the brew vessel. A nice system.

Though looking at Shawn's gaiwan lid, it could be a cup.

Feb 13th, '11, 20:44

by Drax » Feb 13th, '11, 20:44

Chip wrote:
Drax wrote:Aha! I knew your gaiwan's shape looked familiar, but I couldn't find the thing it reminded me of... until just now.

Here's an example:

Actually, these are 3 piece sets from Hankook. You are not seeing the actual lid under the cup. For most of these sets, the cup is about the right size for the capacity of the brew vessel. A nice system.

Though looking at Shawn's gaiwan lid, it could be a cup.
Ah, I see, there's still a lid under there in the travel sets? Neat :D

But yes, I guess I was responding to the feeling that Shawn's gaiwan was deep enough (and with a 'foot' large enough) to be a cup...

Feb 13th, '11, 20:52

by debunix » Feb 13th, '11, 20:52

Actually, my travel set from Hankook have the annoying property of having a cup just a little too small for the capacity of the brewing vessel.

Feb 13th, '11, 21:34

by Chip » Feb 13th, '11, 21:34

debunix wrote:Actually, my travel set from Hankook have the annoying property of having a cup just a little too small for the capacity of the brewing vessel.
Just looked at the 5 sets of these so called travel sets sitting patiently on shelves here waiting a turn to be used. The green one like you have is the one set that is a bit off, but I found after 1-2 steeps, they equalize pretty much due to the expanded leaves.

Love these little sets!

Oops, sorry Shawn, a bit off topic.

+ Post Reply