Coca-Cola's 'secret ingredient revealed'

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Feb 15th, '11, 08:09

by auhckw » Feb 15th, '11, 08:09

Posted By Yahoo Lifestyle, Tuesday, 15 February 2011 11:12 GMT

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-drin ... tyles.html

Often duplicated but never replicated, the Coca-Cola recipe has been a well-kept secret for years.

Created by medicinal pharmacist John Pemberton in 1886, the exact measures of each ingredient that make up the world-famous soft drink have been closely guarded - until now.

American public radio show Thisamericanlife.org claims to have uncovered a list of ingredients and their exact quantities to mix the perfect Coca-Cola drink.

A photo from the 8th February 1979 editorion of American daily newspaper, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, shows a person holding open a book with a recipe, which is allegedly an exact copy of Pemberton’s.

The recipe is said to contain the precise amount of all the different oils needed to create Merchandise 7X, Coca-Cola’s secret ingredient.

Even though Merchandise 7X makes up only one percent of the drink’s formula, the key ingredient is believed to give one of the world’s most popular soft drink its unique taste.

The official recipe is allegedly guarded 24-hours a day in a vault in Atlanta, Georgia.

Here is the ‘secret recipe’:

* Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
* Citric acid 3 oz
* Caffeine 1oz
* Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
* Water 2.5 gal
* Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
* Vanilla 1oz
* Caramel 1.5oz or more to colour
* 7X flavour (use 2oz of flavour to 5 gals syrup):
* Alcohol 8oz
* Orange oil 20 drops
* Lemon oil 30 drops
* Nutmeg oil 10 drops
* Coriander 5 drops
* Neroli 10 drops
* Cinnamon 10 drops

Feb 15th, '11, 08:09

Re: Coca-Cola's 'secret ingredient revealed'

by auhckw » Feb 15th, '11, 08:09

* Alcohol 8oz
This is going to be bad news to muslim friends out there :twisted:

Feb 15th, '11, 09:27

by artmom » Feb 15th, '11, 09:27

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! :twisted: :D

I'm sure other chemists would have outed Coca-Cola on the alcohol ingredient before now.

The original Coca-Cola may have had alcohol and cocaine in it, as many drinks and meds did in the 1800s.

Feb 15th, '11, 14:41

by entropyembrace » Feb 15th, '11, 14:41

artmom wrote:Don't believe everything you read on the internet! :twisted: :D

I'm sure other chemists would have outed Coca-Cola on the alcohol ingredient before now.

The original Coca-Cola may have had alcohol and cocaine in it, as many drinks and meds did in the 1800s.

The recipe´s changed several times since the original in 1886 and the former use of alchohol and coca were well known...

it´s these oils that the article is about
* Orange oil 20 drops
* Lemon oil 30 drops
* Nutmeg oil 10 drops
* Coriander 5 drops
* Neroli 10 drops
* Cinnamon 10 drops
but I find it unlikely that they actually use the original 7X flavour anymore either...real essential oils are too expensive...they use artificial imitations these days. :roll:

Feb 15th, '11, 17:49

by AdamMY » Feb 15th, '11, 17:49

One thing many people do not know and according to US laws does not need to be disclosed, quite a few carbonated beverages contain a very low alcohol content. As some of the processes they use to get carbonate the beverages produce a slight amount of alcohol. I believe the cutoff for it needing to be disclosed on a beverage is half a percent alcohol by volume (possibly less).

Feb 15th, '11, 18:26

by tortoise » Feb 15th, '11, 18:26

I would be shocked if there was a single drop of real oil in the beverage. Seeing the list is interesting and I can see where those flavors are present, more or less.

Feb 16th, '11, 01:48

by auhckw » Feb 16th, '11, 01:48

Coca-Cola says 'This American Life' failed to reveal its secret formula
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydi ... rmula.html

February 15, 2011 | 4:28 pm

Relax, everyone. The radio program "This American Life" came close with its attempts to reveal Coca-Cola's top-secret formula. But the formula is still very much safe, and still very much top-secret.

So says Atlanta-based Coca-Cola. The soft-drink giant has been bombarded with queries, e-mails and phone calls from around the globe ever since this weekend's edition of "This American Life" that suggested that the top-secret Coca-Cola formula was not-so-secret at all and added that "...we think we may have located the recipe."
Referenced was a 1979 article that ran in the Atlanta Journal Constitution about the discovery of a pharmacist's formula for a cola drink. That article has long led to widespread speculation that the recipe was the basis -- if not the actual formula -- for Coca-Cola.

Kerry Tressler, a Coca-Cola spokeswoman, said the media relations department came to work Monday morning to the flood of media requests. "It has been quite a day," she said. She added with amusement that many of the media requests seemed to assume that the formula had been revealed and were waiting for a capitulation from the company or a confirmation of the "real" formula.

"Our formulation is our company’s most valued trade secret, and we will not be coming forward with that formula," Tressler said with a laugh. She said that there is always media interest in Coca-Cola -- "It’s one of the world's most valuable trademarks. People are very interested in that" -- but that this latest flare-up was completely unexpected. (We haven't been able to get through to "This American Life" for a comment, and there were problems with the website throughout the day Tuesday, leading to further speculation that it crashed because of all the interest.)

As the radio program tried to recreate Coca-Cola for audiences, a historian for the soft-drink giant put it to a taste test and confirmed that it was not, in fact, "the real thing," Tressler said. That didn't seem to stop the media from going into overdrive about whether the secret was out. There was such a flurry of interest that it all led to a second wave -- stories about all the stories. Yes, I plead guilty.

Tressler said that from her point of view, the interest couldn't have come at a better time: "This is our 125th anniversary. So it’s an exciting time for our company."

She did confirm the legend of the formula -- that it actually exists on paper, secure in a bank vault. As to rumors that only two people at the company know the formula at any given time? Well, that might be exaggerated. "We cannot confirm the number of people who are familiar with the formulation, but it is only a small handful," she said.

Mar 31st, '11, 14:52

by CliveB » Mar 31st, '11, 14:52

All soft drinks have a minute amount of alcohol in them, I think due to the bottling process. And, I swear I've always tasted cinnamon in Coke!

+ Post Reply