Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Pu-OTTI 9, 90's Sheng Pu-erh

Postby Drax » Feb 14th, '11, 20:22

TIM wrote:
MarshalN wrote:
brandon wrote:
Seeker wrote:Why is boiling water essential?

Because the leaves are old and tired and need a hot steam bath to wake them up..

Personally I prefer a shower

hahaha.... I can do both :lol:

Brewing tea while you shower?

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode... A garbage disposal in your shower? Yes, I made the salad while I bathed...
Drax

Postby Seeker » Feb 14th, '11, 22:01

Tasting #1 today.
I must say, I like this tea right from the first infusion.
I find an clearly emerging balance of bitter with all other elements, which is to say, I pick up distinct bitterness on the finish, but pleasantly so.
Infused with boiling water, 10s, 10s, 20s, only on the 3rd infusion, and this tea is very nice. I am noticing as I drink this 3rd infusion, some tingling on the tip of my tongue, and now in the top, back of my throat.
I feel a quickening in my energy, clearly the presence of caffiene (or theanine if you prefer). A doctor of chinese medicine hosted an event at my favorite tea bar, and he said that, in fact, caffeine more typically doesn't age out of puerh until 20 or even 30 years. (Sharing this as I was originally taught that it was 15years)

cheers.
Seeker

Postby Seeker » Feb 14th, '11, 22:27

Okay, I've been enjoying this #1 so much (Nada's sharing - thanks Nada!)
that I just ordered a bing, heh heh.

cheers.
:mrgreen:
Seeker

Postby entropyembrace » Feb 15th, '11, 18:10

OTTI arrived today! :mrgreen:

I´m about to try the Malaysian brick....the entire sample in my 120ml Petr Novak pot....it´s a little bit lighter of the leaf to water ratio than I´d like...but I really don´t like using a gaiwan for aged teas which is my only smaller vessel...

dry leaf aroma is really nice....very woody with a bit of camphor...looking forward to trying it...will post more! :D
entropyembrace

Postby tortoise » Feb 15th, '11, 19:30

Great photos and teaware, seeker.

I realize my pu palette is not as refined as some, but for me, the only difference between pu brewed at 185f and pu brewed at 205f is that one of them is hotter. The flavors are pretty much exactly the same. I always boil the water, I just scrub a little heat between the kettle and pot.

I liked #1 alright. I made this one at first 4g per 100 ml and brewed it for 15 seconds. It was nasty, so I adjusted by brewing 120ml and pour the tea instantly. That made it quite nice and I got a hint of where the tea will head if given more time.

The Malaysian Brick was my favorite. I was surprised to see that the 8582 was "traditionally" stored. I thought for certain that it was the dry stored one when I was tasting it. I have a long way to go before I know my orientation in the pu forest.
tortoise

Postby Drax » Feb 15th, '11, 20:39

I really love these OTTIs. I've gone through each sample, made my 'decision' on which one is which, and now I'm reading everybody's comments in greater detail.

The best part -- going through the samples on the second round and comparing notes! Oh, and of course, getting to enjoy some spectacular tea.

Many thanks to Nada and Brandon for donating, Chip for organizing, and everybody for commenting! :mrgreen:
Drax

Postby Chip » Feb 15th, '11, 20:46

I am quite enjoying all the discussion! And the age old debate rolls on about temps.

As is my normal practice with the OTTIs, I am pretty much keeping my mouth shut, except for sipping the pu-erh of course. :mrgreen:

Tomorrow and Thursday will be pu-erh days I believe since there is time to enjoy over a prolonged period of time.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby TubbyCow » Feb 15th, '11, 21:27

I just got my Pu yesterday, and that was actually pretty fast for Canada Post. I've been avoiding reading the comments out of jealousy, so I've got some catching up to do.

Really excited to join in the funsies!
TubbyCow

Postby Seeker » Feb 15th, '11, 21:34

Tasting the #2 today.
212*F, 10s, 10s, 10s so far.
I like this one also (in addition to #1).
I find it has a little less umph than #1 somehow - perhaps the absence of tingle on tongue and throat. Also a bit less stimulating of my energy.
But very nice and with some admirable complexity (ie - not bland or single noted).

cheers.

ps - re: the use of boiling water with puerh: I had read somewhere (or been told?) that it was important to use boiling water with puerh due to the nature of its being fermented, therefor containing microorganisms - the boiling was to neutralize any bad or potentially harmful bugs before ingesting. Based on this - flash infusions, 5s, 10s, (ie - short infusions) would not be helpful as this would not be sufficient time in contact with boiling water to neutralize any bugs. Not sure what to think about this at this point as I don't think a tea has ever made me ill - but then I've always used boiling water with puerh. :wink:
Seeker

Postby JRS22 » Feb 15th, '11, 21:43

Seeker wrote: re: the use of boiling water with puerh: I had read somewhere (or been told?) that it was important to use boiling water with puerh due to the nature of its being fermented, therefor containing microorganisms - the boiling was to neutralize any bad or potentially harmful bugs before ingesting. Based on this - flash infusions, 5s, 10s, (ie - short infusions) would not be helpful as this would not be sufficient time in contact with boiling water to neutralize any bugs. Not sure what to think about this at this point as I don't think a tea has ever made me ill - but then I've always used boiling water with puerh. :wink:

Interesting point. Given that many people are commenting that these puerhs don't begin to shine until the 3rd or 4th steep would it make sense to have a longer rinse? Would that be the equivalent of skipping right to the 3rd or 4th steep?
JRS22

Postby the_economist » Feb 15th, '11, 21:55

Except for this instance I suppose :)
Seeker wrote:Worked with my 2nd half of #3.
185*, 10s, 20s steeps (after rinse of course).

I agree that #2 does not tingle as much, although I'd say that's a testament to the slightly wetter storage leading to a lower amount of bitte/astringent.

and +1 for the boiling water camp!
the_economist

Postby Seeker » Feb 15th, '11, 22:06

the_economist wrote:Except for this instance I suppose :)
Seeker wrote:Worked with my 2nd half of #3.
185*, 10s, 20s steeps (after rinse of course).

and +1 for the boiling water camp!

That was the one time I haven't used boiling with a pu. Interestingly my digestion has been a little off for a couple of days, but i couldn't isolate to the tea with any certainty - interesting tho, hadn't thought about it til now.
Seeker

Postby Chip » Feb 15th, '11, 22:21

Disclaimer: the management is not responsible for any microorganisms growing in your pu-OTTI teas. :wink: :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby MarshalN » Feb 15th, '11, 22:24

JRS22 wrote:Interesting point. Given that many people are commenting that these puerhs don't begin to shine until the 3rd or 4th steep would it make sense to have a longer rinse? Would that be the equivalent of skipping right to the 3rd or 4th steep?

Ahem http://www.marshaln.com/2009/01/friday-january-30-2009/

And for the Canadians in here -- I remember a one-liner about Canada Post from way back... why does Canada Post charge so much? Because they have to pay for storage.
MarshalN

Postby TubbyCow » Feb 16th, '11, 00:10

Seeker wrote:Image

Seeker, I am absolutely in love with this cup.
TubbyCow

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions